Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:59 pm
I had to post something somewhere. I'm just so darned happy. =D

A few weeks ago, I noticed an injured catbird on the way to work and turned my car around to check on it. Looked like she (going to call her a she, because my brohter gave her a girl's name) had been hit - she had some blood and couldn't fly, just landed back on the ground and tipped over as if she had no balance. I took the poor thing home to see if my family could help, since I work out-of-county and can't stop by home until after 5pm. My brother, being the awesome guy he is, researched what catbirds eat and fed her beheaded mealworms (bird ate willingly, not forced) and some berries from our wild bird seed mix. He also made sure she drank by herself and discovered that catbirds have a lot of legal restrictions against keeping them, maily because they're highly intelligent and easily adapt to being near humans - a lot of their legal protection is t prevent them from becoming pets. Somehow, the little thing lived long enough for us to take her to a local bird rescue center. I wasn't expecting much, considering the wobbling meant potential central nervous system damage, but at least she wasn't dying on the side of the road.

Well, we just got a postcard from the rescue center in the mail today. Little Reina was returned to the wild! biggrin There is no silly emoticon on this site that comes close to how ecstatic I am right now. I really did not expect her to make it in general, let alone be well enough to be released!

I feel like dancing! mrgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:43 pm

Yay! What's a catbird?

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:41 pm
Vanilla eXee

Yay! What's a catbird?

Gray catbird. I think they mostly live in the Eastern half of the US.

Link to picture

They're really smart wild birds that live mostly off bugs & berries, and they got their name because their call sounds like an upset kitten. In fact, my mom dragged me outside one time, thinking a kitten was stuck in our bushes, until I explained it to her. xd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:55 pm
Aw that is wonderful! I wish all endings were that happy. Yaeh, I have mistaken a cat bird for a distressed kitten a couple times, those tricky things ;D  

Xx Emma x Lee xX
Crew

Sarahmooo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:55 am
Aww, yay =D
I love catbirds.
I see them all the time x3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:19 pm
Skittleo
Aww, yay =D
I love catbirds.
I see them all the time x3
I get to see them every once in a while. ^-^ We have a mated pair here that occasionally bathe in the water bowl left out for the neighborhood cats.  

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:26 am

Wow, those are neat. I wonder if we have any here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:22 am
This site: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/gray_catbird/id has a map that shows their habitat range, so you can look it up. =D

I found some super-cute videos on Youtube of catbirds, too. ^-^ The first is an adult bathing/giving it's famous "mew" sound. The second is a young adult mewing, or learning how to do it. The thirds is actually one practicing different calls (catbirds are related to mockingbirds and, like them, patch together songs from other birds to make their own). It goes into some quite convincing meows, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNy8PhgNRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkFkVz9Igrc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqtigoZ6NBg

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500

lovestoned637

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:41 am
wow thats awesome im happy for the lil birdie i once had a chicken adopt me and she had her eggs hatc and everything...i was growing attched to all the new additions ill one day i came home and there were feathers everywhere...my dog killed all the chicies and the mom sad at least my duckies are still alive smile mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:36 pm
yoshyyoshy637
wow thats awesome im happy for the lil birdie i once had a chicken adopt me and she had her eggs hatc and everything...i was growing attched to all the new additions ill one day i came home and there were feathers everywhere...my dog killed all the chicies and the mom sad at least my duckies are still alive smile mrgreen
That stinks. -_-

One of the horses at the barn where our horse stays actually killed some of the ducklings that hatched this spring when they wandered into his paddock (he's a bit "off," anyway). The barn owner had to pen up the mom and babies to keep them safe.

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500

I His Neko_Rawr I

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:53 pm
Yay Lady Nekochan you saved a catbird's life! one more saved animal that is alive thanks to a human that cared about them =^-^=  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:45 pm
Oh thats great he find. biggrin
Not much birds story I heard they live after getting hurt.
I have alot of birds story....So i just tell the latest bird attack.
3 month ago...I think, I was out said and saw some bird's feathers on the ground and I was wondering if that young cat that all was come to the house so i can feel him, got on hold of the bird. The only place I know he will take the bird again Yes he killed 2 bird in row. The first was on easter moring but it died and the secord one was dead part pice was missing.

Any way check the same place that killed the birds and saw the bird try to fly away form the cat. I got in time and toke him in. He couldn't fly for while,
but later I put him in my sister's room, him then he was try to fly again...Looking he could 100% fly again, So I open the windown and he fly out in the tree and I no long can see him. Mean by he gone fly of in the night sky when he was in the tree.  

Himeko-14

Himeko-14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:49 pm
yoshyyoshy637

Oh thats horrible gonk Bad dog scream
You should train your dog. Well I guess it hard to train pets not kill other animal.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:54 pm
Lady Nekochan
yoshyyoshy637
That stinks. -_-

One of the horses at the barn where our horse stays actually killed some of the ducklings that hatched this spring when they wandered into his paddock (he's a bit "off," anyway). The barn owner had to pen up the mom and babies to keep them safe.

Wait what? horse eat baby animal eek  

Himeko-14

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:54 pm
Himeko-14
Lady Nekochan
yoshyyoshy637
That stinks. -_-

Wait what? horse eat baby animal eek
No, he actually stepped on them. He's a...slightly unstable horse, I think. Something's a little off in his head. He's not necessarily evil, but he has these moments where he lashes out with no apparent reason behind them. > - < Unusual guy.  
Post some more! Wewt <3 Animals

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games