Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Build a Character 101 Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:49 pm
Building a Character 101

Alright this thread was created to help people with first time characters, characters for new games, new ideas, and general character building questions or help.

I cannot help people with 4e D&D and I have no books on D20 modern, Cthulhu, and only the basic core book for Rifts. As well even though I started on AD&D and know it well with out all my old books, I cannot help you very well on creating a character. Nevertheless, I am here to help with many things that include but are not limited to:
-Vampire, The Masquerade
-Vampire, The Masquerade LARP (Form the Laws of the night I have knowledge of other books but this would be a basic character.)
-Werewolf, The Apocalypse
-Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 (or 3.0 but you wont find many for this)
-Big Eye Small Mouth (Both Tri Stat and D20)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:01 pm
so now will you help then?  

Silent_Death509

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:04 pm
Alright first off what books do you have the core books?
As starting off we will want to use these as basic stepping stones to bigger and more bass a** characters.
As well when you say mage I would assume you wanted it to be a wizard given your highest stat is Int.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:30 pm
I'll write up my suggestions for newbies.

1. TALK WITH THE DM! This has got to be the BEST thing for you to do. The DM will provide you with knowledge of how to get attributes, what the world is like, and other odds and ends that will be useful for number 2.

2. Think of a concept! This is definitely the next step. Throughout all of the steps though, keep doing number 1, since it will help with you making the concept fit well with the world. Once you have a concept, thoroughly discuss it over with your DM, fix things as needed, then work on finding the class that is right for you.

3. Pick a class. Alright, here is the big one. Now, take the concept you worked out with your DM and, probably with the DM (yea, newbies should talk to the DM a lot for the first character), pick the class that is right for it. Such as, say you wanted to be a elven diplomatic character. You have a few choices. Which choice you pick should depend more on background and some of the style of play you want. I'll explain here.

The elven diplomat could be one of the following well: Rogue, Bard, Cleric, Paladin

Rogue Diplomat: These diplomats are your fast talking, shady guys who can have the ability to do some of their own spy work. Probably carry a concealed dagger for defense and 'encouraging' others to agree with you, via backstabbing them both literally and diplomatically. With a group, he'll probably only attack when he can get a flank and a Sneak Attack or use a ranged weapon, if at all.

Bard Diplomat: This guy has odd knowledge he can call upon to help him at times. He's the smooth talking ladies man (or man's Lady). He will probably carry a finesse weapon, to add to his style it's normally a rapier. In single combat, he's not that good, and may run away if he can, but as part of the group he will be invaluable for his Bardic Music and small healing ability.

These two above normally make the best, but below are two alternate choices if you really wanna try em. Please note that all concepts are just a base idea, and can very easily be changed to fit your wants and needs.

Cleric Diplomat: Normally armored and carrying a mace, longsword, or whatever you want, the cleric is a holy man of a diplomat. He can be charismatic enough to persuade people into doing what he wants, and if needed, at 2nd level he can even increase his chances some via the Eagle's Splendor spell. Clerics are one of the most INVALUABLE members of a party, because they are probably the group's main healer, as well as able to kick some serious a** if able.

Paladin Diplomat: Sort of like the cleric, but he's really not meant to be a diplomat except as perhaps a secondary one. I'd only recommend it if you really want to be focused on the kicking of the a** part of combat instead of focusing on your 'verbal' skills.

4. Roll stats. Easiest thing ever. Follow what the DM says. Once you have them, assign the scores to what best fits your concept. Take the rogue diplomat. Say you got... hmm... 12, 11, 14, 16, 15, 17 as your scores (lucky you). That 17 probably go to Charisma followed by the 16 in dex. 15 to int, 14 to wis, then 12 probably to con because as an elf you'll take a hit to it, making it 10. So 11 strength. You're a dextrous elf who's pretty charismatic. Now whether that charisma means 'you're a pretty boy' or means you're like Martin Luther King Jr. was and a great speaker and just had that presence, is pretty much up to you.

5. Feats, skills, equipment. Fairly straight forward. Ask DM for any help you may need or if you can take certain feats.

6. BACKGROUND. One of the most important things to do. This helps flesh out your character. Now don't go overboard and write out a day by day history, but give a little insight into what your character's life was like, why is he who he is, ect. If you're a low level, you don't even have to do much of one, since you're probably young. Just fill in important events and stuff. As you level, your character's personality will flesh out as you play him and you'll build up a history. Who knows, maybe you'll get to use the guy again.

Well, that's about all I can think of.... eheheheh...  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Silent_Death509

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:32 pm
No i want to be a rogue  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:05 pm
Right you wanted to be a rogue mage right? So that would consitute multiclassing or do you wish to be a straight out rogue?  

Archfiend Damio

Silent_Death509

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:13 pm
straight rogue first then i want to make a rogue ranger i want to get the concept of creating a charcter first i have got my ablilty scores assined my race down and his physical apearance and thats about it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:48 pm
Are you sure? Why do you want to be a rogue, what role do you plan on fulfilling? Often multiclassing can achieve better results than just going straight out. Starting ECL?  

oHoN

Silent_Death509

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:56 pm
im just learning how to create a character first then im going to make a multiclass character  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:44 pm
((O-lord apparently everyone is an expert at this.))

Axel: Alright so the best thing to do is start by making a level one character.  

Archfiend Damio

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:47 pm
We will start at level one because it is honestly the most important. You have gotten down the stuff that noremally takes people suprisingly long time to do.
Now if you would go to the rogue in the Players hand book page 49, if your not already there.
nowmake sure you have a character sheet in front of you as it is just as important as the book.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:57 pm
i have a piece of paper no character sheet  

Silent_Death509

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:24 pm
sorry to interrupt again... and sorry Jester for my earlier post, but I think it's a good one.

Axel, you can get an online character sheet by signing up at http://pifro.com/pro/  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:26 pm
If anyone requires help creating a 1st and/or 2nd edition D&D character, I am able to help. ( Or 1st/2nd AD&D)  

Dragon HighLord Flambe

Distinct Lunatic

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:31 pm
I can help with Modern D20, or just about any of the d20 games. I'm trying to get myself oriented with the WW systems, and the Tri-Stat systems. So, until further notice, the d20 systems are which one should come to be for.
However I am issuing a simple request: When I ask for something, give it to me on the reply. Usually I shall ask for stats, goals, the game one is attempting to get into, or a link to your character sheet.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff