Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 5:: Topic: Resources.
How often do you not use your car to preserve petroleum? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What you use instead of a car most often?
  Bike
  Feet
  Bus
  Or..in a car, but carpooling
View Results

TheLittleOwl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:43 am
This means riding your bike, public transportation, even carpooling, etc...
For me, at least twice a week, and one of our household cars is a hybrid.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:35 am
I am not very good at this. sad I'll admit it. I live in a suburb. We have very poor bus service. I have to drive at *least* 3 miles just to get OUT and onto the main highway. I live 13 miles from my job, and ~25 miles from campus. Everything here is totally spread out, and I can't afford to move right now as I'm paying my way through school.

Living in Florida is not the 'paradise' some people think it is. If you're vulnerable to heat sickness or heat stroke like I am, there's very little bike riding that goes on in the summer months.

I make up for my carbon footprint by driving an old, yet fuel-efficient car. No car payments, few repairs, low maintenance, relatively cheap fill ups. heart  

BlueberryJoy

High-functioning Cutesmasher

12,475 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pet Lover 100

TheLittleOwl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:48 pm
BlueberryJoy
I am not very good at this. sad I'll admit it. I live in a suburb. We have very poor bus service. I have to drive at *least* 3 miles just to get OUT and onto the main highway. I live 13 miles from my job, and ~25 miles from campus. Everything here is totally spread out, and I can't afford to move right now as I'm paying my way through school.

Living in Florida is not the 'paradise' some people think it is. If you're vulnerable to heat sickness or heat stroke like I am, there's very little bike riding that goes on in the summer months.

I make up for my carbon footprint by driving an old, yet fuel-efficient car. No car payments, few repairs, low maintenance, relatively cheap fill ups. heart

Sounds like you do pretty well in un-supportive circumstances smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:09 pm
I walk everywhere I go. If I have to go somewhere father, I carpool with my friends, of course. Not like we can drive anyways. Haha.... I'm learning how to ride a bike so I could use cars even less than I do now. mrgreen

I don't really want to get a car/learn to drive, because I don't want to impact the environment. D: I resolved that if I have to get a car, it will be diesel so I can use used cooking oil to make it run. 8D If not a diesel car, I'll just get a fuel-efficient one, and hook it up with a diesel engine. Perks to being a grease monkey~

Still. I'm walking everywhere I go.  

KimLink

freddie07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:46 am
I bus to work, the bus stop is about 200 metres from my front door, and on weekends if I go to town to just browse, I walk there. I admit though if the weather is shocking I'll use the car, or if I have shopping to do.

I must also admit, that this change had alot to do with the ever increasing price of fuel, but am honestly very happy with this new habit I've aquired.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:00 am
I live in the UK which has a pretty good rail transport linkage, so I use that as much as possible for long journeys, and at the moment I can't drive, but I'm learning. Otherwise I just use my bike or walk =)  

Sayonara-tan

Liberal Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Healer 50

PoppyPatch
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:18 am
Well considering I only have my learner's permit, I will probably carpool to school with my sibling and a few other people who live close by. I like to bike ride, but there's really no place to go. My school is about 7 or so miles from where I live. Plus my mom thinks it's too dangerous for me to bike to school.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:20 pm
Being 14 I don't have much say in car use, but I walk to school or at least did. I can't anymore cuz my new schools to far away. And I walk EVERYWHERE as long as it's not more 3 miles away.  

Mr Jekyll

Aoko Rosetta

Tipsy Tycoon

11,650 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:53 pm
I live in the suburbs so i have to drive to get to the city but they just made the buses travel farther out of the city now so i'm hoping that i will have a chance to use my car less. But I always try to carpool as often as i can.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:54 pm
I Skateboard everywhere i go in the city i live in. Its not really that big and you can get anywhere by skating. Walking makes it alittle harder but people can do it. I only hop in a car if me and someone are going long distances or if its raining.(cant skate in the rain it ruins your board)  

XxInanityxX

The Five of Swords

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:51 pm
I've been walking everywhere I go this summer

and most of the time I use a car, it's carpooling with other people.
=D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:50 pm
Wow, you guys rock!  

TheLittleOwl

Metal Wallflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:07 am
mostly, i walk. our town is only about 4 miles across. sometimes i drive if my health is not what it should be that day, but i start walking as soon as i can. i share a fuel-economic car with my mother, and any appointments out of town are done that way. also when younger offspring has a schedule that requires faster transportation. we have an older truck, but we try to use it as little as possible. it's been in the family for years (since '72), and it's hard to get rid of an old friend. but it's only used for moving things now, we plan to upgrade it if it's at all possible.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:28 am
I'm feeling pretty pitiful...but I have been using my bike more...  

TheLittleOwl

Tirpse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:17 pm
I walk where things are walking distance, or I bike. Occasionally I'll be lazy and take the car to the grocery store for just a couple of items, but more often than not, I'll take my bike.  
5:: Topic: Resources.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff