Welcome to Gaia! ::

Elves on Bookshelves - The Bookcase for Friends of Fantasy

Back to Guilds

A literate guild for readers: We mainly discuss books, but feel free to share jokes and real life issues; we'll laugh and cry with you. 

Tags: contests & quests & advice for writers, faery games and medieval quizzes, original poetry, fan art and fiction, library of myths and legends, fun magic wizard, bookworm & bibliophile 

Reply Shh, the Librarians Will Never Know We're Here!
Medieval vs. Modern

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you prefer?
  medieval
  modern
View Results

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:07 pm
Do you prefer fantasy stories that take place in medieval or modern times?

Hands-down, I like medieval better. There are a few present-day ones that I enjoy, such as Harry Potter and Young Wizards, but overall I'd much rather be in a place with knights and servants and royal court intrigue. razz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:29 am
I would have to say that medival time hands down. Same with you, I like some books in the present like Harry Potter.... but if you think about it, Harry Potter is only in the present when it comes to the Dursleys because Wizards don't use electricity or electronics so it has the same kinda concept, at least I think so. But I would love to live in the medieval times if there wasn't the fact that a life span wasn't very long XD.  

gerp91

NannyOgg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:14 pm
I prefer medieval as well, overall. After all, it's fantasy - why not make it *really* fantastic and put it in another time period? Besides, that way if you put in nifty trivia about the medieval time period, I'm learning something, too! whee

Something I've noticed, too, is that modern fantasy done right is wonderful, but done wrong it's irritating drivel. Medieval fantasy done right is also wonderful, but done wrong it just sort of falls flat. I'd rather end up reading something flat than irritating any day of the week.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:12 pm
I like both, but there have been a ridiculous amount of similar modern books lately. Dresden, Meredith Gentry, Kittie and the Midnight hour, Anita blake, The End of a Century, Cal Leandros series and the list goes on and on, like three shelves dedicated to them at my local Barnes and noble and only a shelf dedicated to medieval...

I'm currently going back to working with medieval...  

Lilium_nocturne

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:01 am
I think the reason fantasy set in modern times usually isn't as good is because the authors try to explain why the creatures/wizards are overlooked by normal people, and it just doesn't make sense. Sometimes, author says creatures are well-known and accepted by us, which makes even less sense.

Fantasy in medieval times works better because the general population really believed in magic back then. Many of the maesters, advisors, and healers were said to have magical powers. There were witch-hunts and knights were sent on quests to kill gigantic beasts. It was part of their culture, so it makes more sense to include it during that time-period.

Plus, it's so much more interesting when you throw in royalty and lack of electricity and modern weapons!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:33 am
I like Medieval much better and for many of the same reasons Minerva does. No electricity, royal courts, and it always makes more sense because people really believed in that kinda stuff back then.  

FleurEvetteD

Elf on a Bookshelf
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:38 pm
I like medieval as well. Us elves had beautiful lands to ourselves back then... *sighs wistfully*  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:11 pm
Medieval, I think is just a way better setting for fantasy writing.
Mainly for the reasons Min said, I totally agree. It's just better because people beleived in everything.

One exeption, is The Immortals books, by Alyson Noel. (I think that is how you spell it.) It set in modern time, and helps the whole magic thing.

But medieval is way, way, way better.  

ShePotterGleek

2,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Matelia legwll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:24 pm
I prefer explainable time frames. As long as the author presents a viable explanation that I can buy into for the course of the book or series, it's fine.

If possible, I believe the ageless ones are the best. Those are the stories that are not easily dated by the technology the characters come in contact with. (Like it would put a definite decade on the series if our hero/heroine is listening to records, tapes, CD's, iPods, MP3 players, etc. Specific band and pop culture references are even more pinpoint-able) I'm not saying those with those types of references are necessarily bad, I love some series with them too. But I do believe that after you put a specific date on your series, some people will tend to dismiss it as it doesn't relate to their experiences quite as well. On the opposite side, some people will dismiss that which relates to their experiences too well, because they want an escape, not a reflection on their lives.

Medieval settings are rather good in some ways. It gives you a more-or-less familiar setting that is actually quite transcending on the age issue. Even though it is medieval, and back in the 1100s or something, it is far enough distant that those that just want a good read can escape into it, and those that want to relate to the characters can relate on a more human level. It is certainly the predominant setting for fantasy and magic, and I think that in itself is quite telling.

Modern settings are fine in most ways, they just need the extra explanation if they are truly going to work as a fantasy story, whether it is an alternate reality, or whether the governments of the magical folk somehow contain and control the magical creatures.

So, explainable is best, in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:02 pm
I must admit that both medieval and modern fantasy stories have thier pros and cons, but on a personal level, for me its medieval all the way. smile If I'm going to read a fantasy novel I want it to be completely different than my every day settings and circumstances, that includes the time period. I think that it makes the escape provided by the book so much more effective. heart  

Bruki_Cuki0117

Umi Pryde

5,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:55 pm
I've found that I don't have a preference either way in what I read, so long as the storyline makes sense and the characters are interesting.
Now when it comes to my Science Fiction novels I prefer a futuristic or alternative universe rather than just a boring one during my own world and time period.

For fantasy in "medieval" settings, I understand that world, that magic, as it is so widely used and understood by most everyone even if it isn't actually set in Earths historic time period.
Same with "modern" set stories, they don't have to take place in our exact world, I mean Charles de Lint can write and send me anywhere he wants and I'll never complain.
So long as their is an exciting storyline I really don't care what time period it is set to be like.

Though, it is fun to imagine how stories would be different if they were set in the exact oppisite setting type.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 pm
I'd definitely say that fairy tales set in medieval times is much more interesting and a little easier to believe and fantasize. I mean, can you see someone having a dragon in modern times? Maybe in Russia, but even there it wouldn't be believable. In short, hands down, medieval fairy tales. 3nodding  

NekoGirlYukiza13

A Fitting End

Thirteenth Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:08 pm
I agree with you. This is why I go to Renaissance faires each year. I can't get enough of those sexy knights!  
Shh, the Librarians Will Never Know We're Here!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games