Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Q & A Thread: Questions Answered Here Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:52 pm
cloud read
I have bean having trouble with a player and his interpretation of his character and as he puts it "fear". His half orc is supposedly afraid of magic. But instead of acting afraid of it (ether running of even avoiding it) he instead simply ignores it until my character (a wizard) pisses him off and then attacks my guy under the excuse of "I'm a half orc this is how my guy was taught to deal with fear." Now I have brought this up to the DM and the other players before and (probably because its not their guys getting attacked) they just brush me off saying things like "you're just overreacting" or "it's just how he copes with his fear." Now I could accept this if my wizard was the only magic user in the party or if this was how he acted to all magic users..... But we also have a druid and recently a bard has joined. These two do not get treated this way and I feel this has just become a way for him to pick on me. However I think I will let this slide mostly because I plan to eventually get revenge. Now on to what I really want: I am going to bring this up again to my D&D group but instead of asking that he change his RP I am going to ask that he change the word "fears" to "hates" because this is a better description of his actions.

So what I am asking is this:
On a scale of 1 to 10, from what I have described his actions to be, is hate a better word than fear in this case?

Also if you can't understand what I wrote either A: take it up with the website I use to spell/grammar check my writings here: https://www.jspell.com/public-spell-checker.html or B: please acknowledge that either English is not my first language and/or writing is not my strong suit, but I'm trying my best to accommodate you as my intended readers.

cloud read
Here is a question: What would you rule an attack using "pure unformed magic energy" as, and what kind of penalty would you apply?

For me, I would say all of one's spell slots would be spent immediately and put the damage as a split of Acid, Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning, Necrotic, Poison, and Psychic magic type and deal damage as so for the spell slots:
lvl 1 8d6 cone
lvl 2+ 16d4 100 foot aoe
And after this the magic user would become incapacitated. That way, it's like, yeah, you can do that but you better hope one of your allies survives to rescue you because if an enemy outside that zone hears/feels you do this and gets healed, they got you dead to rights.

I know this is more a thing that would normally not come up, but I am pondering this and just so you know, I would let this be used by all magic users, and not just sorcerers. I would add a small stipulation that sorcerers, being heavily infused with magic, only keep the incapacitated status for 1-2 days (depending on the care they receive during their refractory period) but all other classes would need to roll a d4-10, or maybe a number equal to the spell level, and keep the status for that long and must be cared for during that time: aka basic bed rest, no strenuous activates, et cetra.

Which edition/version of D&D are you playing in, first of all?

Also, for your second question, you could play a Psion if it's 3rd edition. They have the capacity to expend a huge amount of their energy reserves to bolster a single psionic attack. It's very similar to what you are trying to emulate. If nothing else, I suggest trying to dig up some 3rd edition resources about Psions and give them a read to see if you can find a good way to emulate what you want to accomplish.

Be mindful though, that most magic users don't necessarily have just stores of mana within them. Wizards manipulate the world around them through practice and technique. They really aren't all that magical by themselves, outside of having a familiar. Take away their spellbook and you strip them of most of their power. Warlocks pull their magic forth from darkness or a dark patron of sorts, and clerics and other divine casters receive magic allotted to them by their gods. This would seem to be exclusively a sorcerer thing, IMHO.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 am
Rain Yupa

cloud read

Answers
1. edition/version: 5E
2. OK
3. My reasoning behind letting all spell casters be able to attack with raw magic is rooted in the steps every spell caser uses to cast
Steps to cast a spell
1. carefully gather magic energy form some place
2. condense magic energy in one place for quick access
3. form magic energy into the desired spell
4. activate spell

What I am referring to is simply skipping step 3 and speeding up steps 1 & 2. It would be like lighting a mach wile standing in gas. "stupid and no one in there right mind would do it." but as we all know a lot of the adventurers we all play are not in there right mind.  

cloud read

O.G. Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm
:/ That seems like way to big of a dice pool.

Comparing the idea to Mage the awakening, Prime Magic (what you are descriding by pure magic) is still comparitive magic wise.

If it were me I would make it similar to a power attack for magic. By that I mean use base dmg (3d6 for level 1 for instance) and let them take a penalty to the attack roll to raise damage 1 for 1, or raise the dc, but lower the damage 1 for 1. If they hit 0 damage it fizzles out, if they hit negative damage, they are incapacitated for rounds equal to negative damage inflicted.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:22 am
OK new question and no it is not the same game but it still is 5E. short vershon at bottom of the post.

i am a member of a party with 5 other players. hear are the names, classes and levels :
Toneosh fighter lvl8,Timmy a bard:5/wiz:5, Johnson a rouge:10, Robby a barb:8, Faren druid:10, and me haru engineer:5/wiz4.

Now we have all started out at lvl:5 the thing is some of our players have had problems that have kept them from making it to a game or two. and now the one that are lvl8 are afraid that they are being left behind. nothing time sensitive is currently happening ingame either. after the game during clean up The guy playing Timmy says out of character "well we can just split the party into 2 groups hear in this city one group will be the low lvls and 1 or 2 high lvl those will go out hunting fore nearby baddies to grind XP wile the rest take a break hear at the in. After each fight they can come back and switch out there highs lvl for one of the others and repeat till the low lvls catch up. We can sell any wolf deer or other edible kills to the inn keeper to get a discount on room & board. It will simply be like our characters are taking a small break from killing the bigger things and the lower lvls will be able to catch up". I was thinking it makes sense on all fronts to me. Then the guy playing the Rouge speaks up "na that's boring we should just keep going."

short version
Low lvl party members want to catch up level wise.
out of game high lever char figures out a way that is slow but fits both manically and logical.
Rouge says "no we should just keep doing what we have bean."

questions wanting answered
1. Is the Rouge being too big of an a**/p***k to his fellow players?
2. Should I back this idea and push it? i think we could get at lest the lvl8s to agree if i did.(we only meet once a wee and play for 6 to 8 hours. DM only has this day & time off from work so its not as if he can have a small season with the lower lvl players to catch them up.)  

cloud read

O.G. Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:05 pm
Quote:
questions wanting answered
1. Is the Rouge being too big of an a**/p***k to his fellow players?
2. Should I back this idea and push it? i think we could get at lest the lvl8s to agree if i did.(we only meet once a wee and play for 6 to 8 hours. DM only has this day & time off from work so its not as if he can have a small season with the lower lvl players to catch them up.)

1. I don't view the rogue as being overtly selfish in this instance. It sound like he doesn't want to be punished, because the others. And having to babysit, or sit and wait on, the lowers as they hunt would be to him.

That said, I wonder if the rogue would like if the 8ers were rewarded 'an adjusted' exp and they can catch-up in a session or two.

2. I would say, "d'at be y'e call, mate." I am not in your game. So, do not I know how your group operates. Nor, have I played more than a few fight scenes of 5e. But, that is a conversation you should have with your group.

I have had to leave games due to real life constraints. It sucks big ones. But, that is the nature of any group hobby.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:44 pm
I'm just wondering if this guild has a discord where everyone chats and stuff. I know a lot of guilds seem to be doing that now, so I figured I should ask.  

GracefulRose_Knight

Shadowy Rogue

5,450 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:53 pm
GracefulRose_Knight
I'm just wondering if this guild has a discord where everyone chats and stuff. I know a lot of guilds seem to be doing that now, so I figured I should ask.

Not officially, but I keep hearing mention of one now and again. I'm not part of any (nor do I have discord) so I can't direct you personally; I hope someone else more knowledgeable on the topic will mention it if there is one. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:58 pm
Rain Yupa
GracefulRose_Knight

Not officially, but I keep hearing mention of one now and again. I'm not part of any (nor do I have discord) so I can't direct you personally; I hope someone else more knowledgeable on the topic will mention it if there is one. smile

Ok cool. Thanks for answering! Also do you have tips on how a newbie like me can start getting involved with campaigns? smile  

GracefulRose_Knight

Shadowy Rogue

5,450 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:11 pm
GracefulRose_Knight
Ok cool. Thanks for answering! Also do you have tips on how a newbie like me can start getting involved with campaigns? smile

A super brief history of the guild: When I came along, I actually hadn't DM'd before but there were not games open at the time. So I created one (then several). Fast forward however many years and I'm in charge of the guild now (the prior captain dropped off Gaia without telling anyone). That is my recommendation, because the more games that are active, the more games that seem to get created. But it's not advice for everyone sweatdrop

I always made it a habit of whenever I would see newbies sign up for the guild, I'd make a new game for them. But I just don't have the time I used to. I'm hoping someone
Psychofish

Southern Cross Nemesis

picks up that mantle, but I can't make anyone run a game. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:23 pm
Rain Yupa

I wouldn't mind creating a game but since I have barely any experience I don't think I'd be able to come up with anything good. I guess I can think about it more and look around to see if there seems to be room for me to slip into a current game. Thanks for the help!  

GracefulRose_Knight

Shadowy Rogue

5,450 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:23 pm
In addition, I just picked up the Core rulebook to Starfinder yesterday (the space-faring futuristic alternative to Pathfinder, which is a D&D offshoot edition). I can see
Mongooseh

running a cool campaign of that, but I know not everyone is into sci-fi.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:25 pm
GracefulRose_Knight
Rain Yupa

I wouldn't mind creating a game but since I have barely any experience I don't think I'd be able to come up with anything good. I guess I can think about it more and look around to see if there seems to be room for me to slip into a current game. Thanks for the help!

That didn't stop me when I first joined. ninja And if you want some advice, I will be happy to give you some over PM if you need it, since odds are I won't have time to join any games in the near future.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 am
Rain Yupa
In addition, I just picked up the Core rulebook to Starfinder yesterday (the space-faring futuristic alternative to Pathfinder, which is a D&D offshoot edition). I can see
Mongooseh

running a cool campaign of that, but I know not everyone is into sci-fi.

I'm not a big fan of starfinder though...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:58 am
Rain Yupa
GracefulRose_Knight

I made a thing, I will grow it up a bit later.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

cloud read

O.G. Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:52 pm
ok question about the two-weapon fighting rules on PHB pg:195 it stats "when you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you are holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you are holding in the other hand. now RAW that means that you MUST be holding 2 weapon with the light tag. but what if you only had say a dagger no shield and wanted to punch them? (unarmed strike from say a fighter or such not a monk) as you fist is both no heaver than well your fist and you are proficient with your fists, as Jeremy Crawford stated "Unarmed strikes have always been weapon attacks." so could you use a punch as your bonus action attack instead of a "real" weapon like a dagger or Sh sword?  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff