Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Q & A Thread: Questions Answered Here Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:30 pm
this is a kind of stupid question, but in pathfinder if you use Grave bane or a spell or effect like it; then cast Revive on someone. would they still get the negative level?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:38 pm
I have a question. What level does our character start at? Does it depend on the campaign or do I need to talk to the DM of the campaign I want to join?  

Sorin Markhov

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:44 pm
Sorin Markhov
I have a question. What level does our character start at? Does it depend on the campaign or do I need to talk to the DM of the campaign I want to join?
it depends largely on the campaign...The dm sets everything up. Talk to them.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:50 pm
It's been sometime sence i've played D&D,and unfortunetly I have lost my character sheet and without that I no longer remember my character,how would I go about making a new one.

Note: I have no book and little experence nor do I have any idea about 3.5 or pathfinder.  

ThePuffinMaster

9,650 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Junior 100

Absolute Virtue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:46 pm
ThePuffinMaster
It's been sometime sence i've played D&D,and unfortunetly I have lost my character sheet and without that I no longer remember my character,how would I go about making a new one.

Note: I have no book and little experence nor do I have any idea about 3.5 or pathfinder.

You can find different character sheets for a lot of different games here.

For rule books you could do something like this. Find a game that's recruiting, look what books you're able to use, and then google for a torrent that has those books. I was told that you can find 3.5 and pathfinder stuff online for free pretty easily.

So going about making a character, you can start a few ways. First find a game. What I like to do when joining any kind of party based RP is see what is actually needed to balance the party. After you figure out what role you want, look at the different classes that can fulfill that role. From there it's pretty much personal preference. What would best fit this vague character concept you got in your head?

Like let's say you want to be a striker.

Well, maybe you might want to be sneaky and backstab bitches. A rogue would be good at this. Maybe you want to be a RET PALADIN!!! Avenger fits that description. You want to be Lee Sin and jungle like a boss, Monk is an option.

All of them fit the role of striker, but each one has their own unique traits to get the same job done.

You can probably google guides for making optimal builds and stuff.

But yeah, that's like, a really general way.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:15 pm
What he said. Really, it's kind of pointless to make a character without having any idea of what campaign you're going to be in. I would just work on familiarizing yourself with the different editions (3.5, pathfinder, and 4.0 being the most common), maybe draft some characters up for practice. But unless you like making characters just for the fun of it (like I do), having a character made and then finding out it's not even the right edition for some awesome campaign that just started recruiting, well....it's disappointing, to say the least.

In addition to torrenting the books, if you're mostly interested in 3.5 and pathfinder, both have free reference sites available. They're not as well organized as the books, but if you're decent at searching through stuff, they're a great substitution, or just an easier to access additional tool.

3.5: http://www.d20srd.org

Pathfinder: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/home

The pathfinder one has all the steps for making a character. The 3.5 is a little less straightforward, but the information is still all there.

And like Abs said, mythweavers is a great character sheet site.

Also, it's easier for us to help you if you have a specific question, or at least an idea in mind. If you just come up and say "hi, I don't have any of the things I need or know anything at all, can you help me?" it's kind of like a "where do i start?" scenario. I don't mean that in a bad way, but, it's a lot easier to help you if you at least familiarize yourself with some basic knowledge. Three cheers for the internet! XD  

KytanaTheThief
Crew

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:51 am
So, I had a question about 3.5e critical hits.

In the book, it states that when you roll a natural threat you have to roll again against AC to see if the crit hit.
Then you roll each time for damage, adding your attack bonus for each roll.

So for a Longsword (1d8 19-20/x2), I would have to roll a 19 or 20, then again against AC, then 2d8, right?

Does anyone use this? My irl DM uses the "if you roll a threat, then roll damage and multiply by crit then add attack bonus" rule....  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:45 am
I never really got crits in 3.5, but I'm currently in a pathfinder campain irl, which uses the same rules. The only argument we've had is whether you're supposed to multiply the amount of dice you usually roll, or whether you roll normally and multiply that number. We eventually figured out/decided/ruled that you roll double (or triple or whatever) the dice.

So your longsword formula is correct, as long as you actually hit the AC target. Otherwise it's just normal damage.

Also, attack bonus is for just that, attack. You shouldn't be adding that to your damage, I'm pretty sure....  

KytanaTheThief
Crew

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:43 am
So...roll for each extra damage dice? Thanks ^w^
Although, multiplying it seems a lot easier...

So that means actual criticals are a lot more rare with that method

=w=;; Yeah, I didn't know what else to call that bonus...
I guess it would be called an enhancement bonus?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:16 pm
Well, if you just mean like when damage says like, 1d8 + 3, and you're referring to the plus 3, that's the damage bonus. Attack bonus for attacks, damage bonus for damage. enhancement/feat/power just refers to where the bonus comes from, not what it's for.  

KytanaTheThief
Crew

ll Riku Mitarashi ll

4,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:47 pm
This is gonna be a reallllly stuped question, but I've never played D&D before because noone else I know plays it, but I thought it'd be really fun. As such I have no books/character sheets, or knowlage of D&D rules.

Where & how do you create a character? Also can someone help me with my character. (I.e. Tell me what each class specializes in, what weapons, & armour they can use. I would perfer a bard, but I also would like to be longrange, & sneaky, if that's possible. If not w/e) Also How do you use the dice rolling system?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:30 am
To be honest, it's next to impossible to play any game without the books. I mean, perhaps you could...but oh, would you be in for a complicated world.

The most popular versions are 3.5 and 4.0.

Pathfinder is a little different, you could actually get by on that one without the books; I do it myself. There's actually a sticky in the main forum with the reference site for that.

Character sheet sites are pretty prevalent. You don't need paper versions of them. www.myth-weavers.com is the one that I know, although there are a few others that others use.

As for making your char, that information is in the books. I hate to keep repeating it, but without the books, you're basically asking us to make a char for you. We would have to reference our own copies to give you every numerical and textual detail.

Based on your description, you'd probably like a ranger or a rogue.

The dice rolling system is actually very easy. When you're writing a normal reply (not the quick reply, if you have that feature), then underneath (or in the side if you're not in a guild) the text box, there's a little dropdown that says "Post Action". There's a selection for "Roll Dice". That opens up another little dropdown section with "Select Dice" and "Number of dice". "Select Dice" gives you options from a 4-sided die to a 100-sided die. Once you have selected which dice you want, then you enter the quantity of dice you want to roll, like 1, or 2, up to 20. Then when you submit your post (of which it has to have text in it) the numbers that were "rolled" will appear at the top of your post.  

KytanaTheThief
Crew

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:08 pm
anyone know if the pathfinder rogue (scout), can be used on the back of a horse or any other mounted creature?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:07 pm
in any edition of D&D, does fire or cold resistance protect from environmental effects of hot or cold temperatures?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:17 pm
Arc Vembris
in any edition of D&D, does fire or cold resistance protect from environmental effects of hot or cold temperatures?

in Frostburn(3.5) it has rules that the resistance .

Frostburn page 10

Resistance to Cold: A character with a spell or effect
granting cold resistance applies his resistance to both
lethal and nonlethal damage from cold temperatures. For
example, a creature with resistance to cold 5 subtracts 5
points from the 1d6 points of cold damage dealt per 10
minutes by extreme cold (and therefore might take 1 point
of cold damage, if a 6 is rolled) and 5 points from the 1d4
points of nonlethal damage dealt. Since the character never
takes any nonlethal damage from the cold, he will not suffer
hypothermia or frostbite (see below).

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild