Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
'True anime fans' would support the industry! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you going to watch the Greg Ayres and/or the Nabeshin panel's?
  Yes.
View Results

YennonCrow

Married Sweetheart

10,100 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:19 pm
Hello, I'm YennonCrow, and this thread is dedicated to saving anime. But before we begin, I'd like to make the rules of this thread very clear.

Rules:
1. All flamers and trolls will be immediately reported, and placed on ignore.
2. If you post in a condescending manor, I will fire back in the same condescending way (and believe me, I can be downright condescending). But I would rather we keep all conversations and debates polite, even if we disagree with eachother.
3. NO spamming. No posting random emotes, advertising your threads, and the such. Bumping once when the thread is quiet is acceptable.
4. No posting links to illegal manga or anime. Not only will you be reported, the nature of content will be reported/flagged as inappropriate as well.
5. Talking in a friendly manner about anime/manga you like, or asking for advice on anime/manga you might like is perfectly okay here.

Remember to obey the ToS. I'm not shy of reporting. Mild cussing when speaking in a casual manner is acceptable.  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:20 pm
My hopes are to bring awareness to anime lovers like myself. I LOVE anime sooo much heart My sister and I have 'anime day' almost every weekend. And to do this, I would download the anime via BitTorrent. One day I was bored, and came across a video on youtube of one of my favorite voice actors, Greg Ayres. His panel was about fansubbing, bootlegging, and scanlations and how they're effecting the anime industry.

I always knew that downloading anime and reading manga online was wrong. I usually ended up buying my favorites anyway, so I thought it's no big deal. But I was BLISSFULLY unaware of things.

1. - Why has AdultSwim stopped playing as much anime as they used to?
  2. - What happened to Toonami? Why is it gone?
  3. - Why did Anime Network cease being a channel..?
  4. - What happened to Geneon and Pioneer??
  5. - How come the industry doesn't seem to be cranking out as many animes as they usually do?

The answers are very simple. Anime fans do NOT pay for their anime. They steal it. Anime is no longer making enough money in the entertainment business, thus the Toonami block was pulled. Same for most the anime on Adult Swim, and its the reason Anime Network's channel is gone (still available On Demand from Comcast). And its not this way JUST in America and Canada. Its ALL OVER. Even in Japan. And not as many animes are being made, because they don't have enough funding to create them!

To enlighten you further, I highly suggest watching Greg Ayres panel. He has the answers to every argument.

Greg Ayres Anime Detour Panel

NEWS. Central Park Media has filed for Chaptor 7 Bankrutsy. This means the company will face liquidation. Read about it here.

Anime Insider is no longer being published. Read about it here.

Shojo Beat is no longer being published. Read about it here.

YennonCrow

Married Sweetheart

10,100 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Millionaire 200

YennonCrow

Married Sweetheart

10,100 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:22 pm
Misconceptions and Facts!

Here we will list the most common excuses anime downloaders use, and the truth behind it.

1. - I'd buy the anime if it weren't so expensive!
    I feel for you. But honestly, that doesn't make it right to steal from the creators of the anime you love. Anime in America is the cheapest place to find anime. In Japan, anime is sold on a single disk with only two episodes on it, for the equivalent of $65. In the UK, their selection of anime is very poor. And the prices of anime NOW compared to back then is cheaper as well. I buy off the FUNimation site, and their prices are very fair. And if you join their club, everything on the site is 15% off.

2. - I prefer fansubs to dubbed disks because of the translation accuracy! Americans change everything!
    That is untrue. Translation from Japanese to English is very hard work. And just because a fan subbed an anime, doesn't mean he translated it correctly. Some subs I've seen say 'if this translation is incorrect, email so-and-so'. Also. In the legit translations, any 'change' that is made to an anime, is done so with the permission of the creator. Example: in the Dub of Naruto, the main character often shouts 'Believe it!' instead of 'Dattebayo!' That's because there IS no translation for that word. The Naruto creator chose the new words 'Believe it!'. He also helped choose all the American voice actors for the series, and approved any and all changes to the anime itself. Anime creators have a LOT more involvement in the dubbing than you think. The famous creator Shinichi Watanabe, better known as Nabeshin, has been quoted saying, "It was never my intention that my fans READ my anime." right there you have the BLESSING of a anime creator to watch it dubbed. But if you still prefer subs, that's awesome! Honestly. The issue isn't what is better, subs or dubs. That is a different topic all together. Nabeshin has lead his own panel with Greg Ayres on this topic as well. (click here for the Nabeshin panel)

3. - But anime purists insist they're bigger and better fans of anime because they got to watch the episodes first...
    THAT couldn't be further from the truth. They're bigger and better fans, so they STEAL from the creators? Does that honestly make sense to you? If you were a true fan of anime, you would BUY it. You can wait until the Japanese release it, and import it. It's the right thing to do. People who steal anime are NOT 'true fans'. They're thieves (I'm sorry if that makes you angry, but its true... redistributing an anime or any other show/movie violates copyright laws).

4. - So long as a license hasn't been made in America/Canada yet, its perfectly legal to download and watch the anime.
    VERY incorrect. The very popular manga and anime 'Death Note' was being scanned and subbed the moments the chapters came out. Do you know what happened to the people who did that..? They've been arrested and sued. The creator and artists have all been awarded $200k each. And it WILL happen to more people who do scanlations, and fansubs of anime. Just because you live in another country does NOT matter. You're breaking international law.

5. - Fansubs are what MADE anime big!
    That is the biggest lie ever. Anime is being fansubbed BECAUSE its popular. Not to mention anime used to sell just fine without fansubbers back in the VHS days. If fansubbing was 'helping' the industry, anime creator Nabeshin wouldn't have spoken out on the subject, and asked anime fans to PLEASE stop stealing his work.

6. - There's no saving the industry. Why even bother?
    I don't believe that's so. I did a little math. On a popular anime torrent site I used to download from, they have 168,850 members. Now imagine if every single one of those people went out and bought a anime movie? On the FUNimation site, the Slayers Return movie is only $7. If every one of those downloaders went out and bought THAT movie, the industry would receive: $1,181,950!! And that is ONLY for a movie! Imagine if it were a $20 box set?? YOU buying a single movie, or boxset helps MORE than you think!

7. - Greg Ayres is just a voice actor, and wants us to buy anime so he'll make more money.
    You're free to your opinion. But I don't believe that's true at all. Greg, just like me, is a huge anime fan and doesn't want anime to die off. He's said numerous times how its okay to buy the import versions of anime from Japanese retailers. Money for those DVD's don't go to his pocket. What matters is that it goes back into the industries pockets so that they can make MORE anime.

8. - But I can't wait SO long until my favorite anime is released!
    I know -.- but its for the greater good. Besides... there's TONS of anime out there. Get into another one! Hell... PM me with a list of your favorite animes, and I can probably point you in the direction of another good anime. Go ahead, PM me. I won't hurt you for asking rolleyes

9. - But I usually just watch the first few episodes of an anime to test it out and see if I like it...
    Try renting it instead... there are anime rental sites just like NetFlix. And that supports the industry, as well. OR, you can go to your local library and borrow anime or manga from there. Also, check the distributors site, and see if they have the first few episodes up for watching.

More misconceptions and facts will be added in the future.  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:24 pm
How to tell what is bootleg!!

I've had the unfortunate experience of going to, what I thought was a legit anime store, and walking away with bootleg merchandise. Voice actors like Crispin Freeman will refuse to sign bootleg animes because, as he says, "it's like a slap in the face." But what sucks, is that many of the fans he has to tell this to, are completely unaware of the fact they HAVE bootleg anime. He feels bad, but will still refuse to sign. After reading up on how to spot a bootleg, I ran over to my anime collection and to my dismay I discovered many of my animes are bootleg >.< (damnit to hell!!)

To help keep this from happening to more people, I will dispense my own, and others advice.

1. DON'T BUY FROM eBAY!!! 98% of anime found on eBay is bootleg. Direct rips from the real merchandise, and even crappy DVD-R disks written on with a black marker.

2. Be careful when buying from ANY online anime store! I stupidly thought because I was buying from an online anime store, I was buying the real deal at a very good price heart uh... wrong. The safest way to obtain your anime is through the industry itself. FUNimation's prices on anime are very fair. If you come across a anime store that's selling the anime you've been searching everywhere for, for HALF the retail price, chances are you've found a bootlegger.

3. Look for the logo!!! If its the real deal, it will have the company logo on it. Viz Media, FUNimation, Bandai, ect... no logo..? Its fake. No company doesn't put their logo on the box. But be warned... some BOOTLEGGERS have their own logo's! Such as FX. FX is a KNOWN bootlegger logo. Watch out for it!

For further instructions, check out this web-site: http://anime.about.com/od/animecollectibles/ht/bootlegdvd.htm

"Why does it matter if I have bootleg..?"
It matters because these people ripped you off, and ripped off the anime industry. The money you gave them is going into THEIR pockets. That isn't cool at all -.- they're making assloads of money off us, and destroying what we're fans of. Not only that, but bootleg DVD's are of poor quality (especially the sub only versions... they're tranlated from japanese, to chinese, and then into english, resulting in the subs making little sense).

"Okay, I agree with you. But I've already been ripped off! What can I do about it?!"
Was it a store near you..? You can call the police. They're committing a crime, they'll get into BIG trouble. Was it an online store..? Head to ripoffreport.com and file a report! Or you can look up where their store is located and call the authorities in their area to file a report. Thing is, most these sites hide where they're located >.> of course. But they can't hide forever. They will be caught if enough people complain. Also - eBay has left it up to us to report people who sell them. How to report eBay bootleggers, click here! As for Amazon.com, if someone sells you a bootleg, Amazon will reimburse you and take action against the person.  

YennonCrow

Married Sweetheart

10,100 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Millionaire 200

YennonCrow

Married Sweetheart

10,100 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:28 pm
I want to watch anime online, but I don't want to be a theif!!!

Don't worry! You CAN! I have a list of sites and places you can go to watch legitimately FREE anime!

And I found a place to preview some manga!

If you find a site you can obtain legit free manga or anime, post it here ^.~  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:42 pm
Ways to support the industry - even if you DON'T have MONEY!

BUYING your anime and manga straight from the distributor does help a LOT. BUT... not all of us have tons of cash. Lucky you, there ARE other ways!

1. NetFlix or RentAnime.com!
    This does cost money, but not so much. If your parents/spouse has a subscription to NetFlix, just work your charm and get them to let you rent a DVD ;P (Note: as far as I know, RentAnime.com is the only legit anime rental I know of...) If you rent often enough, NetFlix will of course buy more.

2. Borrow from the Library!
    And that's free, isn't it? 3nodding Libraries have anime and lots of manga these days! And if you and your friends/family continually borrow them, they'll go out and buy more wink

3. Borrow from your friends!
    This doesn't exactly support the industry, but its FAR better than stealing from them. They even agree with that, lol.

More will be added heart feel free to suggest!

WARNING! There are websites that let you watch/download/read anime/manga for a small fee. Do NOT do that! Those people downloaded the anime/manga for FREE and are lining their pockets with ignorant peoples money!  

YennonCrow

Married Sweetheart

10,100 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Millionaire 200

Tranlovescookies

6,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:00 pm
-holds picket sign-
Need me to protest anything? :3  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:14 pm
Darkness beyond twilight,

This isn't a protest ;P we're spreading awareness! 3nodding I'd like to make a web-site too... heart with my own domain name. If I just had the money..!

Crimson beyond blood that flows.

YennonCrow

Married Sweetheart

10,100 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Millionaire 200

Ultimate Tiger Lily

6,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:36 pm
A lily in the hand
Greetings Mistress I'm gonna look through the links above but I'll definitely drop by from time to time.
A tiger in the bush

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:36 pm
Haha, a web-site would be a great idea!  

Tranlovescookies

6,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

SerpentRose

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:47 pm
User Image
For the Rose is a Beautiful Flower
When it comes to the great Sub v Dub debate here's my thinking:

If it's the story that's key I prefer dubbed.
This way it's easier for me to catch all the dialogue.

If it's the action that's dramatic I prefer dubbed.
This way it's easier for me to catch all the action.

And until you enlightened me I had no idea that the anime industry was in trouble.
A Beautiful Flower with Thorns
User Image

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:53 pm
A lily in the hand
If I can find any space Mistress I'll let you know I have some friends that do web hosting (or at least they did).
A tiger in the bush

Ultimate Tiger Lily

6,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200

DeCrazySheep

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:04 pm
Wel, animes nice and all, but do you happen to know of any legal free Manga sites? For us poor blokes with dail up watching anime online is like watching grass grow. Once waited three hours to watch two minuets of FMA. gonk
Never again, I swore. Never a-flicking-gain.

Anyways, thanks for the info. I knew alot of it, but it's still nice to see someone else spreading the word.
Alot of people relate it to stealing music. ninja But I dissagree, I've yet to hear a song that cost 500+ dollars, and months of dedicated workers to create.
Kudos.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:19 pm
actually, I've yet to hear of a site that has legitamitely free manga... >.< if you find any, let me know and I'll list them heart  

YennonCrow

Married Sweetheart

10,100 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Millionaire 200

YennonCrow

Married Sweetheart

10,100 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:17 am
Okay, I've added some more free anime links, and I've added the VIZ manga link. The manga they provide are only part of the first chapters. It's a great way to preview them, in case you're looking for something new. I'll continue my search ^-^  
☆ Word Games

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff