Submit

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:58 am
When every a person makes a decision that is life-changing in a major way, such as joining the military for example, he or she can't help but think about all the hundreds of other things he or she gave up by making that decision. As someone once put it to me, "Whenever you make a decision, you're killing thousands of countless decisions that could've gone in its place."

Now, I know know that's a bit cryptic, even for me, but it makes me think. It really does. Without letting my mind wander to the black void topic of mortality, I can ponder what might have been had I not signed that dotted line and such.

For instance, I could've gone on to college, using government aid and HOPE, etc. I could've gone for a degree in psychology like I'd always wanted to. Taken that leap into uncertainty. Instead, I anchored myself (pun intended) to the Navy for security. I know that here, within the walls of my contract, I'll be financially supported in every way. I'll have a constant, concrete paycheck.

That still doesn't change the fact that I had other dreams...

SO, I want to hear about you guys. What BEEG decisions have you made? What BEEG decisions COULD you have made? Why did you make the choice in the first place?  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:45 pm
The biggest decision I've had to make was choosing where to go to college. After effectively being rejected by Stanford (lol, duh), my choices were narrowed down to University of Washington and Texas A&M (where I am now) because I didn't want to stay in AZ. In the end, I chose A&M just because their out-of-state tuition wasn't quite as high.

Every now and then I wonder where I would be (mentally and emotionally) had I gone to Washington instead. I spent my childhood about an hour away from Seattle. I have best friends I still keep in touch with (though admittedly not as much as I would like) living in and around the area. And maybe, just maybe, I actually would've made friends up there, so I'm not stuck in my apartment doing absolutely nothing each and every weekend.

That's not to say I'm completely miserable here of course. I love the major that I, to be honest, completely lucked into (my original choice when applying was Chemical Engineering (mostly for the job security, if I indeed stuck with it through all 4 years), but since it's a rather popular major within the engineering department, I was forced to choose something else.). I enjoy having my own place. And it's kinda nice since most of my extended family lives in Texas, so if I need anything or want to spend the weekend with them, they're all only a couple hours away. But sometimes I just feel so...out of place here (which I realize is a rather stupid thing to think considering the sheer size of the school).

....But yeah.

invisible-weirdo

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:51 pm
Mmm... Nothing. Like. The. Feeling. Of. The. Opportunity. Costs.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:55 pm
Actually, the Navy was hotly and heavily trying to recruit me for their nuclear program. I always kinda wonder what might have been... smile  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:56 pm
I opted not to go to a rich kids' boarding school in Europe. I had a relative ready to pay tuition for me. Instead I chose to go to college here. I think I made the better choice...I'd make a lousy snob. I don't do stuffy and boring particularly well. And my relatives have a house in Switzerland that I can visit whenever I feel the need to "go abroad", but I prefer to stay in places where I'm fluent in the language.

I effectively told off the Army recruiter that called my house...they called everyone in my high school that hit their senior year. After talking to me once, they never called us again...and I've got four younger brothers that all went to the same school. It's probably for the best as I am fairly certain a military career for me would have created one of the scariest drill sergeants you maggots could ever dread to run afoul of.

I moved out of Worcester after my ex-roommate decided that paying rent was apparently optional for her. I suspect that if I stayed much longer I could have wound up on an episode of America's Most Wanted. Of course I could have just nicked the cash regularly left by the trucker and the drop across the street. No, wait...the drug dealers caught me watching them from the window. They would have figured it out...granted I could have laid low elsewhere and let the deadbeat roommate take the heat...damn. I'd be rich, she'd be dead, and they'd be in prison. Friggin' missed the opportunity there.

I think that's been it for my big choices there. I tend to keep things easy for myself so I have few regrets by analyzing as many possible out comes as possible before committing to a choice. For me, it is a pretty simple thing to do.  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:06 am
Awww you should have gone to the rich kids school in europe those are pretty cool schools were you meet cool people  

^^Psycha^^

6,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

^^Psycha^^

6,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:28 am
The biggest decision so far in my life, University
and what carrer to study
where to study my carrer
and in which univeristy

I remember that during my time in High School I wanted to study law at the best law school in mexico that is in DF, then I wanted to study Periodisim at whatever place in Mexico, and then Medicine in Mexico or the USA specially, because I was born there and I have residency I would have to choose a school in Texas becuase is cheaper for me and is one of the cheapest states in the USA if Im not wrong but because Im so lazy I did the SAT real late I cant remember if I did it during decmeber o January but the dead line to apply if Im not wrong is is January and then I have to wait a semester or a year and they would not aloud that in my life at all. So I had to study here in Mexico my options were reduce to choose a state in Mexico where I would like to live, thats becuase I didnt like the town where I grow up, after you travel to place like Europe and the USA and the biggest citys in Mexico you hate your hometown if its a small town and like big urban jungles, so I opted for medicine I like surgeries, and I wanted a carrera that would guarante for me a stable job that would give me the life I want or at least have the necessary to live decently and the best city I like in Mexico is DF, DF it would be were my mom and dad study, I always wanted to like dad, be a surgeon and have a sub in gastroenterology and another one in endoscopy and have a job as the boos of surgerys at a hospital a big one, right now my dream is be a doctor and be the secretary of health of mexico lol mrgreen , and he told me that If I wanted to sudy medicine in DF there are just 3 schools that are worth it Anahuac, La Salle and UNAM, I remember the last semester of High school I was like ******** I couldnt sleep thinking of those school there like the best in Mexico some of the top school and to enter is difficult and more in medicine, and I remember choosing the school that answer first I never think twice I got accepted at Anahuac that is it...lol well I apply first at It and becuase I got accepted I didnt care about sending info to the others and paying to do their test If I was accepted and I dont regret choosing medicine from the other carrers I enjoy it a lot and I know Im gonna get what I want from life with it, well the truth its frustating somethines I get so jealous I see them and they are like soo ******** relax about life drinking coffe at starbucks, they ended clases most of them at 1pm they dont have school on friday, just from monday to Thursday, they are like I study one day before the test its cool I can get an 8 or with 2 a 10 they can go clubing all the weekends and no problem I cant, but people respect you more stuying medicine a thousand times than a carrer like comunication or grapic design,
Mexico is so different from the USA
In Mexico you can study at the top schools just having $$$ in USA no, you also need the grades to enter to the Ivy League School I guess thats the name to enter one of thouse, I always wonder what would it be to study at Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Standford,, have your tittle of your carrer saying you study there.
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:29 am
Many people know that I graduated from an alternative high school. When the principal of Academy del Sol asked me if I wanted to be there, I said "yes" because she flat-out said that she will not accept anyone that doesn't want to be there. I often wonder what would have happened to me if I had said "no," if I had continued to flunk out of school.  

Roland Karloseth

Invisible Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Thaliat Everwood

Profitable Conversationalist

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:31 am
^^Psycha^^
Awww you should have gone to the rich kids school in europe those are pretty cool schools were you meet cool people

Well, one of my friends at Bradford was a Middle Eastern prince...I just didn't realize it for about two years. So I guess I still got to meet someone cool despite not going to a private boarding school.  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:09 am
Thaliat Everwood
^^Psycha^^

Well, one of my friends at Bradford was a Middle Eastern prince...I just didn't realize it for about two years. So I guess I still got to meet someone cool despite not going to a private boarding school.
well yeah, they are everywhere  

^^Psycha^^

6,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

TieselGirl09

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:12 am
I should have been a hairdresser but I quit it. Then I was gonna be a teacher and I dropped out at last minute so now I'm a Care Worker.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:19 pm
I always wanted to be a starving artist and travel Europe living on my work, but... then I realized that I like to eat.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

^^Psycha^^

6,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:18 pm
XxStephasaurusxXxRexxX
I always wanted to be a starving artist and travel Europe living on my work, but... then I realized that I like to eat.
thats a good one  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:26 pm
I enrolled in a school that gave me years of misery, confusion, and loneliness. I am 99.999999999% sure that I would be a lot happier right now if I hadn't decided to go to that school.  

Ixcilia

Kerrigan_dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:08 pm
I was a pretty smart kid, you know? School always came easy for me. So easy that I'd finish my work in a flash and then sit bored for the rest of the class. So, my parents figured they'd send me to this special creative arts school, it was supposed to be more challenging, and they figured that'd be good for me. So, through many struggles, I got in. Then I was bullied harshly for a year, socially isolated, got depressed, my grades plummeted... etc, etc, etc. So I wonder, what would it have been if I hadn't gotten in? I mean, the other options for junior high schools weren't very attractive, but... still. I wonder. If I'd stayed at my old school and then gone to the junior high I was supposed to go to... maybe I wouldn't have had to have dealt with any of that stuff, or at least not so severely. I wonder, would I still be really smart? I'm kinda smart now, I guess, but... I dunno how to say it. Ah well.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff