Submit

trustedsamurai7000

O.G. Gaian

5,250 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:43 am
Seeing as it was pi day yesterday I figured I'd start a topic about pi. Just somewhere to talk about this famous irrational number or brag about how many digits you've memorized or lament about not having memorized enough of them. So go ahead and have an in depth conversation about it or just show your love for it. Oh and happy belated pi day everyone!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:48 pm
The songstowearpantsto guy has a very nice mnemonic for the first fifty digits. It's on songstowearpantsto.com and is entitled "I am first fifty digits of pi"  

Layra-chan
Crew

GranoblasticMan

Invisible Lunatic

11,800 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:08 pm
While irrational and transcendental numbers are interesting, not being a mathemitician myself ( computer science: the lazy man's math xd ), I don't understand the significance of continually calculating further digits of Pi. Could anyone explain this to me? Is there any reason beyond simple bragging rights? I can't think of any kind of calculation that would need millions of significant digits.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:09 pm
I think THIS will answer all your questions!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfr7xG6smhU  

grey wanderer

trustedsamurai7000

O.G. Gaian

5,250 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:54 am
GranoblasticMan
While irrational and transcendental numbers are interesting, not being a mathemitician myself ( computer science: the lazy man's math xd ), I don't understand the significance of continually calculating further digits of Pi. Could anyone explain this to me? Is there any reason beyond simple bragging rights? I can't think of any kind of calculation that would need millions of significant digits.

I really don't think there is. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's just for the heck of it. I think people just like pi because one, it's a cool number and two, it sounds like pie. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:35 pm
Here's a common(ish) question to mull over... Should Pi be redefined as the the ratio of the circumference of any circle to its radius? Would it make maths and physics pretty?  

Morberticus

Swordmaster Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:14 pm
Morberticus
Here's a common(ish) question to mull over... Should Pi be redefined as the the ratio of the circumference of any circle to its radius? Would it make maths and physics pretty?

I think this is mostly a question mulled over by people who do order-of-magnitude analysis and want their negligence of factors of 2 to give an exact answer anyway xp  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:48 pm
I particularly like e^pi. It's greater than pi^e, and the derivitive of e^x at x=pi is still e^pi. SO MORE PI FOR EVERYONE! Specifically apple pi.  

Beowulf Reincarnate

Theoretical Physicist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:10 pm
I wish for pie for everyone!

I mean pi. ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:58 pm
trustedsamurai7000
GranoblasticMan

I really don't think there is. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it's just for the heck of it. I think people just like pi because one, it's a cool number and two, it sounds like pie. smile

Some people think information could be gathered from the further calculation of pi. They expect some sort of patterns of codes to be in it, though I am not sure why they think that.

That said, there are some legitimate interests in calculating pi for computer science.  

zz1000zz

Chaotic Nonsense

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:14 pm
I remember reading somewhere that the first 27 digits of pi are sufficient to calculate the circumference of the universe (possibly just the milky way...) within 1 hydrogen atom of perfect.

On the subject of exponents of e: e^(pi*i) baffles me.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:25 pm
E^...Pi? eek

I think I has something like that. It's called Super Pi.

Super-Pi^x = circumference of the universe.
3nodding  

Theoretical Physicist

darkdoom227

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:04 pm
How might I be of assistance?

In my high-school Calculus class a few years ago, we celebrated pi day by having pie (obviously). But we made all of our pie in square pans, so we had square pie. ><

We had a good day that day.

Hope that helps! Have a nice day!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:00 pm
darkdoom227
How might I be of assistance?

In my high-school Calculus class a few years ago, we celebrated pi day by having pie (obviously). But we made all of our pie in square pans, so we had square pie. ><

We had a good day that day.

Hope that helps! Have a nice day!

I'd have done half-pies. Then they'd have been pie radians.  

Chaotic Nonsense

Miscenco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:04 am
We need a pi shaped pie.
With apple and calculus inside it. 3nodding

The Physics and Mathematics Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items