Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply SCA Guild
Times up! Thanks to all who participated!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PathlessPlot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:45 am
I am writing an ethnographic study on the SCA for college course, and I need some help! I have created this little survey for whoever is interested to fill out. Everyone who fills it out fully will get some kind of prize (probably Gold). Please keep in mind that I have limited funds so it may not be much. If I decide to use your entry you will receive a bigger prize. Please do not put down any information that you are not comfortable with me using just in case I do decide to use yours. This survey will only be up for one week. On February 27 I will stop taking completed forms. Thanks again! Send me your answers in a PM, or you can post here if you are comfortable with that. The prizes will be sent out on the 28th. Please answer as fully as possible. If you have any questions PM me.

1. Name (SCA name, real name, or both)

2. Kingdom

3. Have you ever traveled to another country to participate in an event? What was your experience?

4. What is your job outside of the SCA? What do you do inside the SCA? If you do not have a job inside the SCA what do you wish you could do or accomplish and why?

5. How long have you been in the SCA and how were you introduced into it?

6. Why did you decide to join the SCA? What do you get out of it?

7. What is your persona?

8. How did you decide who your persona would be?

9. What has your experience been like constructing your persona?Did you have any difficulties switching from you to your persona?

10. What has your experience been like as your persona and how is that different from your everyday life?

EDIT: I realize I left out an important question so I revised my survey a little. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:29 am
Sounds like an interesting project! Let us know how it goes after all this!

1. SCA- Rosemary o Mordha RL- Gretchen

2. Northshield

3. nope...

4. In the real world, I'm a captionist for the hearing impaired, and trying to start a business with my dad. In the SCA, I'm an apprentice chirurgeon and a member of the Jararvellir Vocal Guild.

5. I've been in the SCA for 6 and a half years. Some friends at college found out that I had been in madrigal choir in high school and was interested in history and decided to bring me to an event. I've been hooked ever since!

6. Ever since my first event, I've felt so at home in the SCA. Nerds who socialize! It's awesome! Through the years I've gained another family, more knowledge, and more garb. It also keeps me active and motivated, especially since my barony has so many local weekly activities.

7. I've always been partial to the name Rosemary. It's the name I used to use when I was playing pretend with my friends in the back yard as a kid. I haven't really developed my persona much beyond my name, though. Maybe sometime in the next 7 years...

8. I don't switch into my persona's accent, but I do switch into her personality. As soon as I put on my garb, I instantly become more outgoing and bawdy. Maybe a psychological trigger, I don't know. It's like a switch flips inside my head and there I am.

9. Well, being so much more outgoing as my persona has opened a lot of doors for me. I've met so many people, and joined in so many activities. As rosemary, this often happens within a matter of hours or days. As myself, this usually takes months or even years.

well... hoped this helped, and good luck with your project! Oh, and I really don't need a prize of any sort. Thanks, though!
mrgreen  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PathlessPlot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 am
As an added bonus for the guild I will probably post my essay. Since I am only in college it won't be anything too sophisticated, but I plan to do my best!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:58 pm
Tchipakkan- my SCA name is Arastorm the Golden (although I don't usually say that because in period things like "the Golden" were only used by other people about you)

2. Kingdom
East Kingdom

3. Have you ever traveled to another country to participate in an event? What was your experience?
When we were on the throne we traveled to Drachenvald, but it was still part of the East at the time. But I suppose England and Germany were other countries, and we did go to do a knighting, and support their Principality as King and Queen. Drachenwald has better sites, and also, they "play" better than the East does. (I wasn't allowed to run any of my own errands at events, a page did it.)

4. What is your job outside of the SCA? What do you do inside the SCA? If you do not have a job inside the SCA what do you wish you could do or accomplish and why?
I am an artist, writer and speaker- self employed. In the SCA I've held almost every position at one time or other- Seneschal, Herald, Chronicler, Marshal, Chatelaine- although at the time they called it Mistress of the Golden Key... I autocrated or cooked for over 60 events, have done probably more than 50 scrolls, co-founded a couple of guilds. If I want to do something, I do it.

I joined in AS 8. I was at a Sciencefiction Club meeting at BU and overheard someone talking about the tourney he'd been to the previous weekend. Four years earlier I'd seen an article about the SCA and written to Berkely to ask about it but was told that there was no SCA in the Boston area. Now that there was, I joined- I think I went to a dance practice that week, and an event in NY in another week.

I like the SCA because it's the one place I've found where you can act honorably and don't have to justify it to everyone.

7. What is your persona?
I'm a 7th century Anglian woman living in Wessex. (when I joined I called myself a Saxon, but learned more about it, and my folks came from Kent, which was mostly Anglian. I decided in AS 8 that it was 574 CE, and the years advance so that now I'm in 609- except that they won't use the Christian year system for another century, so I say I'm in the 7th year of Raedwald's reign).

At the time there was a "Norman vs. Saxon" thing going on, and I liked the Saxons better so I joined them. Then I moved my persona to an earlier period so I could reasonably be a heathen rather than Christian- that took it back to the sixth century.

9. What has your experience been like constructing your persona?Did you have any difficulties switching from you to your persona?

I've met lots of people who don't seem to have personae, but I find that Tchipakkan is different than Arastorm. I had another persona- Dashtina, who was SO different that sometimes her reactions surprised me- she liked people I didn't, and she could dance better than Arastorm, which I found annoying.

10. What has your experience been like as your persona and how is that different from your everyday life?
When I am "in persona" I enjoy the SCA much more. It's very difficult to be in persona at most events when others are requiring you to do things that relate to the modern world - like discuss documentation. I prefer looking at the world through 7th century attitudes. (even if they are made up, and we don't know what real 7th century people would think).
But I think there's something that is worth repeating. An NBC interviewer asked me once what the difference was between the SCA and the real world. I told him that since friendships made in the SCA are just as real as friendships made while playing bridge, or bowling, or any of the other things people do, and my friends were all in the SCA, the SCA was the real world for me. Of course, when they put the special on, they cut it to an extreme close-up of me saying "The SCA is the real world for me" and made me look like a real flake. Never give interviews. What I'd said was important and valid- but they didn't want valid, they wanted to show their audience a bunch of nuts. Bitter, me?

Feel free to contact me if you want anything else.
Tchipakkan Tchipakkan@tds.net  

Tchipakkan

10,950 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:58 am
Ælfthryth the Cat. I'm not actually sure if "the Cat" is a kenning...

2. Kingdom
East Kingdom

No, unfortunately. When I was in England, I was moving around too much to go to any events, and in any case I'd left my garb at home.

Outside of the SCA I am a merchant at small fairs. Inside the SCA I'm a merchant at small fairs. Okay, in reality it is a little more complicated then that, but sometimes it doesn't feel that way. I try to get out for bardic circles, and I used to dance. I miss dancing.
I'd like to volunteer more at events, particularly in kitchens, because I feel that people ought to contribute, and I'm bad at giving directions and good at following them. I keep feeling I ought to be more involved, but then I get shy and then I get caught up in merchanting.

Twenty-one years, but I don't think saying so is really fair as I attended my first events in a basket.

I didn't exactly choose to join, it just sort of happened to me. I decided to keep doing it because I can have a conversation with a SCAdian without both people thinking they're talking to an idiot, and... well, it never really occurred to me to leave. I sort of belong here.

7. What is your persona?
A very fluff-headed 7th century Anglian girl living in Wessex. My mother's personna is my personna's mother.

Well, like I said, I was born into the SCA, so as far back as I can remember occasionally I'd put on this practical purple dress and be AElfthryth, Arastorm's daughter. When I was a teenager, I worked out who she would be as a person the same way teenagers work out who they are as people. It was like designing a roleplaying character, it was fun.

9. What has your experience been like constructing your persona? Did you have any difficulties switching from you to your persona?
Like I said, it was a bit like a teenager discovering themselves, and a bit like making a roleplaying character.
I do have a bit of difficulty switching from myself to Ælfthryth, as I get the feeling that if she were alive today, Æfthryth would hang out at the mall and collect hangbags, and I, well, don't. She also tends to whine, and is alot more friendly then I am. And she flirts. Which is really weird for me. She is... coy.
There's a particular kind of smile I never do, but she does. And this one time, I was taking pictures of myself in my garb, and I accidentally went into persona and did all the cliché myspace photo angles. gonk
But going into persona is fun, maybe because Æfthryth is so easy to please. Buy her something pretty and she'll be amused for hours.

The little cute goth girl who looks like she's afraid of people gets hit on by much creepier people then the little cute gothic (badumbum) girl who smiles and giggles alot.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:59 pm
Good luck with this project. I've done projects on the SCA before and always find time limits to be the hardest part. And excuse my long winded-ness.

1. Teofio Cole Amici

2. East

3. Not yet.

4. Full time college student, part time pizza shop prep. In the SCA I fence and fight. My goal in the SCA is to achieve my place in the Order of the Golden Rapier.

5. I have been involved in the SCA for 4 years now and was introduced through the former Unity College Fencing Club.

6. I am very interested in the art of medieval combat and making armor.

7. A 13th Century Italian Gentle from the Sangro Valley.

8. I wanted to keep my persona accurate to fencing, but did not feel like doing something boring (like English or French). I also like the various period color schemes presented to me with being Italian.

9. I am still in process of constructing my persona and find that there is not much difference. I would say the hardest problem I have is communicating with others - I tend to keep to myself and my own friends, but I find that the SCA is breaking me of that little-by-little.

10. Many lessons I learn in the SCA I apply to my everyday life. When my Don took me on as his cadet, he made a promise to not only teach me combat, but to teach me honor and life lessons as well. All these I apply to my everyday life and find that in doing so I feel like I am a better person.  

Spykeshawk

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:14 am
~ Medb of Cae Mor / Amanda Gueguen

2. Kingdom
~ An Tir

~ Not as of yet. sad

~ Currently unemployed - though I volunteer with my church and with the highschool TechCrew.
I do anything and everything I can; I'm currently my shire (Cae Mor)'s Webmistress, I'm autocratting our main event of the year - this coming April, and just general jobs that need to be done. 3nodding

~ 4 years(?) now. My socials teacher, the theatre technition(and head of Tech Crew) and many of my friends were involved, and it caught my interest.

~ My Socials teacher, and theatre technition are big influences on my life, and I loved the idea of it.
I enjoy the learning expiriences, and making new friends - because you know that you have at least one thing in common with everyone you meet. I also really love the old-time chivalrous atmosphere - people tend to be more honest, more respectful, and of course the suave compliments and flirtations. xd heart

7. What is your persona?
~ An Irish wench (I'm afriad my persona still leaves a lot to be desired in the way of development) sweatdrop

~ Well, I started the way I start any of my RolePlaying characters (from D&D and such) - a name. I got a bit of a tongue-lashing from my local herald (who happens to be the kingdom herald) on the way I went about finding one (an online baby-names site). But then she helped me research what the medieval equivillant would be - Medb - and that became my name. After that, Irish was where the name would fit best, and that's how I went about making the persona I have. biggrin (That, and I like irish/celtic things & history in gerenal).

9. What has your experience been like constructing your persona? Did you have any difficulties switching from you to your persona?
~ Generally entertaining. I have a good bunch of people in my shire to help me - though it's been frustrating from time to time, when snags are hit and when things are hard to find documentation from.
Nope, no troubles at all. Because I do a lot of roleplaying games in my off-time, I'm very good at differentiating between 'Me' - my modern self, and 'Medb' - my SCA persona. biggrin

~ Medb tends to be more respectful, and more attentive to who and what exactly is around where she is - and adjusts what she says & how she acts accordingly. She's also a lot more girly than I am mundanely. 3nodding

Hope this helps. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:33 am
Thank you all for your participation! DOn't worry if it helps or not, just responding has helped me greatly! I know I said that I would hand out prizes tomorrow, but I am going to go ahead and do it today. Thanks again!  

PathlessPlot

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:54 am
Hope all goes well! Thanks for the prize!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:26 pm
Yes, thank you.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Spykeshawk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:13 pm
Thanks Granny duck. Hope it all goes well!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:59 pm
Good luck on your essay! Glad I could help! biggrin And thanks for the gift! heart  

Naito_Mitsukai

SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff