Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
marketplace prices

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

georgecat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:38 am
Have noticed a lot of items in the marketplace priced way above the store price. Why do people do this? Is there any reason someone would pay way more than they would have to by buying from the stores? Just wondering.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:08 am
Moving this to the Q+A forum.

As for your question, some people over price their items to drive up the prices in the MP and catch unsuspecting buyers off guard to buy their items for more than what they're worth. I can't think of any other reason for people to do so.  

The Volturis Lover

Avzel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:17 pm
People overprice the commons because...people buy them.

This is a very important principle in economics to learn. It is bizarre to me also that someone would shell out twice as much for an item that they can get at the store with a minimum of effort.

I think it's because when someone wants an item, the marketplace is the first place searched for it, and if the person can afford it, they buy it. Cha-ching!
They don't want the extra inconvenience of actually going to the place where it is sold because that would slow them down.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm
Thanks for your help. I guess I am to cheap to pay more for an item than I have to. A true bargain hunter at heart.  

georgecat

Avzel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:53 pm
georgecat
Thanks for your help. I guess I am to cheap to pay more for an item than I have to. A true bargain hunter at heart.

I don't call that "cheap," I call that normal. surprised

That is the other part of the marketplace - hunting the bargains. Many items sell for far less than market value and you have to be sharp and have great timing to get them.  
☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games