Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Furry Critters Guild TFCG

Back to Guilds

This Guild is about Animals, You can Chat, Ask/Answer Questions, Role Play, Post Pics and lots more! 

Tags: Animals, Pets, Interests, Creatures, Chat 

Reply ~!~ The Furry Critters Guild TFCG ~!~
Pit bulls Update new pics on pg 2 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like pit bulls
love em to death
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
they are ok
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
dislike the breed
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

Animelover955

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:40 pm
I was wondering how many people are fans of the breed or own one.I love pits and plan on getting one of my own, but I will most likely get mine from a shelter

This is my uncles new puppy except it will be about one more week till he can get him. In the pics the puppy is 5 weeks old but as of right now he is 7 weeks old. He hasn't decided on a name so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions

User Image

User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:12 pm
What a cutie!

I used to have a white pit patient whose name was George Washington. It was pretty cute because his finder/owner was a retired marine colonel. GW was picked up off the street, badly malnourished and with two different mite infections. Even with all of this, he was the sweetest dog you could hope to meet. His new owner got him well and decided to keep him.

I see one dog only at my cat clinic and she is a pit. Amy is a wonderful dog. We sneak her in the back door. She unfortunately has a serious form of cancer and even though I started my own feline only clinic, I have continued to see her and follow her case. That is how great I think she is.

I could write many other stories about nice pit bulls that I know.

Sadly, many pits are owned by stupid people who abuse/misuse them for fighting and protection. If given the chance they are sweet, loving dogs. (GW was likely tossed out because he wasn't mean enough, given the area of town he was found.) If socialized correctly, they are good with children and other dogs.

I would not hesitate to own a pit (even with my child and cats), but I am allergic to them. sad  

Xana44
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Animelover955

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:33 pm
Yea but my uncle is a very nice person and hes a dog lover. The puppy will be around a lot of kids and other dogs. When we go to Alabama to visit we take our two dogs along with us. My younger sister whos 5 will be able to handle him and my little cousin who's also 5 will also be around him.

He should be a pretty well socialized puppy. His parents were both therapy dogs and they both would go to the parks and all the kids would be literally hanging off of them.

Once I found the sweetest pit bull. His tag said his name was Nacho. He got out of his yard with the peoples other dog, but she found her way back. We took him to the vet and checked for a microchip he didn't have one and when we called the number on the tag it had been disconnected. So we decided to keep him,but our other dog Abby got jealous and would snap at him when he got to close to "her" stuff. He wouldn't even growl back. He just accepted that she was the alpha.

My dad decided to drive around and see if he saw the owner. Her was driving past a house and the lady was calling out frantically for Nacho.We reunited them and he was so excited to see his mommy. The ladies little boy went to my sisters school and he was in tears cuz they couldn't find Nacho.

Another story is that at my old house there was this guy who had a older German Shepard and he got a pit bull. The pit bull was always running loose. I decided to try and be friend him. I would feed him and try and get a close as possible. He was skiddish but I kept trying and I knew what signs to look for just incase he showed any aggression.He never once growled at me. I named him and would go out everyday and give him some food. When I finally got a break through where I could almost pet him We had to move. I haven't seen him since  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:59 am
I think pit bulls are really cute, well, any animal is adorable to me lolz xD I would love to have a pet dog when I'm older, but i dunno. maybe, it would be so cool if i could xDD  

Scorpiomarie
Crew

Kuroos

Ice-Cold Cat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:38 pm
hey aren't they the ones that have weird minds .,. like they might be all nice then they like attack people and never let go when they bite D': uh...right?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 am
kami_panda
hey aren't they the ones that have weird minds .,. like they might be all nice then they like attack people and never let go when they bite D': uh...right?

No. Many of them are not appropriately socialized, which leads to inappropriate behavior. Many of them are unfortunately taught to be "guard dogs" and so are taught to attack people.

Children and dogs (of any breed) can be a problem. They tend to move in a jerky manner and if they run from dogs it can activate their prey drive. Their high voices also make they dogs think they are playing, even if they are scared or angry. So all dogs should be socialized to children when they are young, or they can act unusually around them. But actually, around the turn of the century, pit bulls were considered to be the poor man's nanny, because they would protect the children of the family if left with them.

Hellen Keller owned pit bulls. Useless factoid of the day.

They do have a powerful crushing bite, which does a lot of damage. But if taught, they drop it like anyone else. Pit bulls are really way down on the list of biting dog breeds, but they do do a lot of damage when they bite, compared to the ten pound poodle. So there is some truth, but not a lot.  

Xana44
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:00 am
sadly the first pitbull i met wasnt well socialized at all and killed my dog. i blame the idiot owner though, not the pit. the pitbul was a sweet dog and right after she killed my dog she was wanting us to pet her.
the only other pit i met was a puppy at petsmart that this guy had, one everyone found out what type of dog it was my friend and i were the only ones willing to go near it  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:33 pm
Shanna66
sadly the first pitbull i met wasnt well socialized at all and killed my dog. i blame the idiot owner though, not the pit. the pitbul was a sweet dog and right after she killed my dog she was wanting us to pet her.
the only other pit i met was a puppy at petsmart that this guy had, one everyone found out what type of dog it was my friend and i were the only ones willing to go near it

I am so sorry to hear that! crying I am glad that you are placing the blame where it belongs. Unfortunately, if these dogs are not well socialized with other dogs, their prey drive can make them go after small dogs. With thier bites being so powerful, it is easy for them to injure other animals. And agression toward small animals does not equal agression toward humans.

I am glad that tthe owner of the puppy was getting it out to meet lots of other people and dogs. But it is too bad that many people were afraid of a puppy. I am happy that you and your friend were helping to make this puppy a better pet.  

Xana44
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Animelover955

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:38 pm
Yea we have a boxer who is 9 months and when we first got him he was like 8 weeks old and we were outside in the front with him and my other dog and they were running around off lead and there were these girls walking past and they stopped when they saw him and they took off in the other direction. Bo luckily loves people and so far has never bitten anyone.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:18 am
Animelover955
Yea we have a boxer who is 9 months and when we first got him he was like 8 weeks old and we were outside in the front with him and my other dog and they were running around off lead and there were these girls walking past and they stopped when they saw him and they took off in the other direction. Bo luckily loves people and so far has never bitten anyone.

Unfortunately, most people can't actually recognize a pit bull anyway. Boxers are frequently mistaken for pits, as are american bulldogs and bull mastiffs. Boxers are one of my favorite breeds. They are very sweet. Sadly, I am also allergic to them or I would have one for sure.

What did those girls think an eight week old puppy would do? Silly!!!!  

Xana44
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Animelover955

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:50 am
Yea I know this person thought he was a pitbull puppy they didn't want to come near him but after I told them he was a boxer they came up and petted him.

It was quite funny seeing the girls run from an 8 week old puppy besides he was more scared of them then they were of him.

I hate it when people give pits bad reps because they are naturally the sweetest dogs its just the owners fault if they turn out aggressive.

I am planning on adopting a pit or starting a pitbull rescue when I'm older.

Heres a pic of my two babies

Bo
User Image

Abby
User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:46 pm
Xana44
Shanna66

I am so sorry to hear that! crying I am glad that you are placing the blame where it belongs. Unfortunately, if these dogs are not well socialized with other dogs, their prey drive can make them go after small dogs. With thier bites being so powerful, it is easy for them to injure other animals. And agression toward small animals does not equal agression toward humans.

I am glad that tthe owner of the puppy was getting it out to meet lots of other people and dogs. But it is too bad that many people were afraid of a puppy. I am happy that you and your friend were helping to make this puppy a better pet.

well my sister is a huge fan of the breed so i have no choice but to accept them as somewhat cute. ill be sticking toy poodles though, i liek the cute fluffy breeds and my sister likes the bigger mis understood breeds
but the puppy was so adorable, no one even knew it was a pitbull and was petting it until one woman asked what breed it was and the guy said a pit. it was a dark grey color and it was so soft, but very strong already  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Xana44
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:10 pm
[quote="Shanna66]well my sister is a huge fan of the breed so i have no choice but to accept them as somewhat cute. ill be sticking toy poodles though, i liek the cute fluffy breeds and my sister likes the bigger mis understood breeds
but the puppy was so adorable, no one even knew it was a pitbull and was petting it until one woman asked what breed it was and the guy said a pit. it was a dark grey color and it was so soft, but very strong already

To each his own. It is good that there are people who still like every breed. I have seen several blue (gray) pits and they are beautiful.

The cute fluffy ones have their own appeal though.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:13 pm
Animelover955
]Heres a pic of my two babies

Bo

Abby

Sorry about snipping your pics

But they are beautiful!

Abby looks like a dog I had when Iwas a girl. Her name was MacDuff.  

Xana44
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Animelover955

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:43 pm
Thats fine.

In a couple of weeks I am going down to visit my uncle and he should have the pup by then and I will post the new pics  
~!~ The Furry Critters Guild TFCG ~!~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff