Welcome to Gaia! ::

Starlight Canopy

Back to Guilds

Roleplayers, writers, artists... All are welcome in Starlight Canopy! Here is a place to let all of your creative energy flow. 

Tags: roleplay, artist, writing, drawing, poetry 

Reply MAIN Forum!!!
Non fic is... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Non Fiction is...?
  Horrible XP
  OK
  I love it!
View Results

Kirksome
Vice Captain

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:14 pm
Non-fiction is...? horrible, OK or fantastic. Which one?
Answer in poll above  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:21 pm
aw, why? Non-fiction isn't THAT bad. besides that's a pretty broad range of books u're calling evil. When I have to read really boring biographies for school, then yes, it's evil. But creative non-fiction is pretty entertaining if it's written well.  

Master SBK
Vice Captain

Kirksome
Vice Captain

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:20 pm
No, I'M not specifically calling it that. Those are just options for what you think.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:08 pm
But none of those answers are positive.... it's like me saying "is fantasy good, amazing, or exceptionally-terrifically-masterfully-excellently-godly-stupendous? Choose one!" except in the opposite way. (Btw, I really hope u pick the last answer xp )

oh, well there's "OK" but u can add another poll option for something more positive then that.  

Master SBK
Vice Captain

Kirksome
Vice Captain

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:17 pm
Ok, you are right. I'll admit it. I'll go change it now...

(And yes, I did pick the last answer)  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:12 pm
Like non-fiction as in Textbooks those are EVIL...

Other things are okay, and like the non-fiction books that tell you about Rome, Greece, Egypt and all those things those are awesome. =)  

Cyelsi

edward_sledge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:53 am
If it's something that I want to learn, then non-fiction is fine, but otherwise it's boring. I get a lot of my fantasy ideas from reading non-fiction articles and thinking, "What if..."  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:01 pm
edward_sledge
If it's something that I want to learn, then non-fiction is fine, but otherwise it's boring. I get a lot of my fantasy ideas from reading non-fiction articles and thinking, "What if..."

lol that is cool

I get lots of my brilliant writing idea by listening to my sisters Epic, opera music. It helps alot, but most of the time it is about war and stuff  

Kirksome
Vice Captain

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

edward_sledge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:23 am
redrox123
edward_sledge

lol that is cool

I get lots of my brilliant writing idea by listening to my sisters Epic, opera music. It helps alot, but most of the time it is about war and stuff

Music works. I got the idea for a fantasy series from a song, and I'm trying not to write a short story inspired by a Taylor Swift song (I love the song and the idea, but I've just got too much on my plate right now).

A lot of the non-fiction I read is about animals. I love learning about animals. The rest is research, like how to construct a language, how would one species evolve into two through selective breeding, what does mythology say about incubi, selkies, kelpies, demons, and werewolves, what herbs would I use to stop bleeding, or prevent infection, or cure a hangover? Fun stuff xd  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:07 am
edward_sledge
redrox123
edward_sledge

lol that is cool

Music works. I got the idea for a fantasy series from a song, and I'm trying not to write a short story inspired by a Taylor Swift song (I love the song and the idea, but I've just got too much on my plate right now).

A lot of the non-fiction I read is about animals. I love learning about animals. The rest is research, like how to construct a language, how would one species evolve into two through selective breeding, what does mythology say about incubi, selkies, kelpies, demons, and werewolves, what herbs would I use to stop bleeding, or prevent infection, or cure a hangover? Fun stuff xd

Animals are good idea-bringers. I remember when we were camping up near Florence, the dunes, last summer, there was a warning of a bear going around. Call me crazy, but when ever those scarry things happen, I get all hyped and... kind of wishing I could see it just to say I saw it! But that is beside the point, the point was that then, all of these totally outrageous possibilities came to mind; the ones you'd think a child like being able to make friends with a bear and riding it home and being able to save the world on it's back and all. Kind of stupid really, but it works. I spent half of the 4 hours back home thinking about that bear, why it was so to people, and those could be story ideas! You never know...

It is also rather rewarding to start your story where some one elses left off. Maybe the Loch Ness Monster, but that has already been done with "The Water Horse". Possibly a very searched subject; 'Dinosaurs'. Who knows?  

Kirksome
Vice Captain

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

edward_sledge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:25 pm
redrox123
edward_sledge
redrox123
edward_sledge

lol that is cool

Animals are good idea-bringers. I remember when we were camping up near Florence, the dunes, last summer, there was a warning of a bear going around. Call me crazy, but when ever those scarry things happen, I get all hyped and... kind of wishing I could see it just to say I saw it! But that is beside the point, the point was that then, all of these totally outrageous possibilities came to mind; the ones you'd think a child like being able to make friends with a bear and riding it home and being able to save the world on it's back and all. Kind of stupid really, but it works. I spent half of the 4 hours back home thinking about that bear, why it was so to people, and those could be story ideas! You never know...

It is also rather rewarding to start your story where some one elses left off. Maybe the Loch Ness Monster, but that has already been done with "The Water Horse". Possibly a very searched subject; 'Dinosaurs'. Who knows?

If you're crazy, then so am I, lol. We camp at Crescent Lake nearly every summer and there's always reports of cougar sightings around there. I've even seen cougar tracks in the dust (never near our camp, thankfully).

Dinosaurs! I have a species of intelligent dinosaur on one of my planets. They're bipedal with thick, shaggy feathers and live in massive underground "hives" where they were driven during the last ice age.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:37 pm
edward_sledge
redrox123
edward_sledge
redrox123
edward_sledge

lol that is cool

If you're crazy, then so am I, lol. We camp at Crescent Lake nearly every summer and there's always reports of cougar sightings around there. I've even seen cougar tracks in the dust (never near our camp, thankfully).

Dinosaurs! I have a species of intelligent dinosaur on one of my planets. They're bipedal with thick, shaggy feathers and live in massive underground "hives" where they were driven during the last ice age.

Whoa!! That is soooo cool! *jealous* have you seen one up close from this?

lolz and they never left? weird... why were they driven there?  

Kirksome
Vice Captain

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

edward_sledge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:48 pm
redrox123

No, never up close. That would so cool. Scary, but cool.

When the ice age came, the climate got too cold for them, so they went underground. The ice age lasted for thousands of years, and by the time the planet warmed up, they were so used to living underground that they just didn't come up.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:12 pm
edward_sledge
redrox123

When the ice age came, the climate got too cold for them, so they went underground. The ice age lasted for thousands of years, and by the time the planet warmed up, they were so used to living underground that they just didn't come up.

Lol, yea that would be awesome if you could see on ep-close.

Interesting... is this a published piece you speak of with this species so I can learn more about them? They seem interesting...  

Kirksome
Vice Captain

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

edward_sledge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:57 am
redrox123
edward_sledge
redrox123

Lol, yea that would be awesome if you could see on ep-close.

Interesting... is this a published piece you speak of with this species so I can learn more about them? They seem interesting...

Not published yet. They make minor appearances in my third and fourth books and I'm thinking about having them in the sixth or seventh. They live on a planet that one of my main characters owns, a planet that is not supposed to have intelligent life on it. I'm still working on what sort of trouble they're going to be.  
MAIN Forum!!!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff