Bo
  Jo
  Naginata
  Im not ready so NONE!!!
View Results

sgfunk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:04 pm
Nunchuku

Nunchuku are two sticks approximately 12 inches long attached by a piece of chain or rope.

Perhaps the most well known of all Okinawan weapons, the nunchuku are feared for their high speed and deadly effect. Originally used to pound wheat into flour, crush rice, pull roots and guide a horse as the bit, the nunchuku were, like countless other farming implements, used against the Imperial Japanese invaders.

The prime use of the nunchuku apart from strikes is as a weapon for wrapping, the chain or rope allows for intercepting a strike, wrapping it and trapping.

Tonfa

The Tonfa is a stick approximately 18 inches long with a side handle approximately 5 inches long usually made of a hard wood such as red or white oak.

The people of Okinawa were forbidden to own or carry weapons like swords by the Japanese invaders and had to find weapons made from everyday items.

The tonfa was originally a wooden handle that fitted into a hole on the side of a millstone used to grind rice and other grains, dating back to 15th century Okinawa. The handle, which was easily disengaged from the millstone, became a very effective weapon of defence.

The Tonfa´s circular movements as a farm implement evolved into its rotating strikes as a dangerous weapon. It can be used to block or parry another weapon and can also be spun in a circular motion to thrust or strike attack. Good body movement can make this weapon formidable.

By spinning the tonfa around by the short handle, a great tremendous striking force may be generated. By using the long portion in conjunction with the short handle, the tonfa may be used for arm locks or to control an opponent.

No other weapon short of a sword can penetrate your blocks when you correctly use the tonfa to reinforce them. A nunchaku, knife, bat, or bo will bounce off the strong tonfa. When the tonfa is held down the forearm, the arm is reinforced with two inches of rock-hard wood. Two tonfa´s were often used simultaneously, and were very efficient against armed assailants. The side of the tonfa was used for blocking, and the ends for direct punches. Continued practice with the tonfa can help improve balance, coordination and physical strength.

Sai

The sai is a weapon found predominantly in Okinawa. Sai are often believed to have originated as an agricultural tool used to measure stalks, plough fields, plant rice, or to hold cart wheels in place, though the evidence for this is limited. Its basic form is that of an unsharpened dagger, with two long, unsharpened projections (tsuba) attached to the handle. The very end of the handle is called the knuckle.

The sais utility as a weapon is reflected in its distinctive shape. With skill, it can be used effectively against a long sword by trapping the swords blade in the sai´s tsuba. It has been alleged that skilled users were able to snap a caught blade with a twist of the hand. There are several different ways of wielding the sai in the hands, which give it the versatility to be used both lethally and non-lethally.

Traditionally, sai were carried in threes, two at the side, as primary weapons, and a third tucked behind, in case one was disarmed or to pin an enemys foot to the sandy Okinawan ground. As a thrown weapon, the sai have a lethal range of about 20-30 feet. Throwing the sai was typically used against an opponent with a sword, bo or other long range weapon. The heavy iron sai concentrate enough force to punch through armour.

One way to hold it is by gripping the handle with all of your fingers and hooking your thumbs into the area between the tsuba and the main shaft. This allows you to change effortlessly between the long projection and the back, blunt side. The change is made by putting pressure on your thumbs and rotating the sai around until it is facing backwards and your index finger is aligned with the handle. The sai is generally easier to handle in this position. The knuckle end is good for concentrating the force of a punch and the long shaft can be wielded to thrust at enemies, to serve as a protection for a blow to the forearm or to stab as one would use a common dagger.

Bo

The bo is a Wooden staff approximately 6 foot long. The basic purpose of the bo is increasing the force delivered in a strike, through leverage and to benefit from the extra distance this weapon affords. The user´s relatively slight motion, effected at the point of handling the bo, results in a faster, more forceful motion by the tip of the bo against the object or subject of the blow thus enabling long-range crushing and sweeping strikes. The bo may also be thrust at an opponent, allowing one to hit from a distance. It also is used for joint-locks, thrustings of the bo that immobilize a target joint, which are used to non-fatally subdue an opponent. The bo is a weapon mainly used for self-defence, and can be used to execute several blocks and parries.

The bo staff is originally thought to have been used to balance buckets or baskets. Typically, one would carry baskets of harvested crops or buckets of water or milk or fish, one at each end of the bo, that is balanced across the middle of the back at the shoulder blades. The word "bo" is merely the Japanese word for wooden staff weapons and the art of wielding the bo is bojutsu.

Jo

A jo is a long wooden staff approximately 4 foot long. The martial art of wielding the jo is called jojutsu or jodo. The jo staff is shorter than the bo.

Naginata

The naginata is a weapon that was used extensively in feudal Japan. Described by some as simply "a sword on the end of a long pole", the naginata was actually a sophisticated weapon which required considerable skill and stamina to use effectively in battle. It consisted of a curved blade, 1 to 2 feet in length, mounted onto an oak shaft that was usually 5 to 9 feet long. Attached to the butt end of the shaft was a sharp end-cap, or ishizuki, which was used to pierce between the plates of an attacker´s armour.

Although the exact origin of the naginata is not known, one theory states that the naginata evolved from a simple farming tool used for chopping. In the early part of the third century BC, farmers attached sharp stones to the end of long wooden shafts. Later, metal was used in place of the stones.

Despite the uncertainty surrounding its origin, it is a well-known fact that the naginata was being fully utilized in battle by the 10th century. Cavalry battles had become more important by this time, and it was difficult to repel mounted warriors simply by means of the bow, arrow, and sword. The naginata proved to be a superb weapon for close-up fighting; it´s sweeping arcs of destruction were used to cut a horse´s legs and kill its rider once the horse fell to the ground. Off the battlefield, the naginata was also used by women as a means of protecting themselves and their children while the men were away in battle or working in the fields. Because of the size and reach of the weapon, a woman could keep an attacker at a safe distance.
-------------------  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:32 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

AND MY AXE.  

WiskersThCatfish

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:36 pm
Katana. O_O  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm
Jaft
Katana. O_O
I think he meant weapons specifically used and developed in the orient. But actually never mind, because that rules out bo staff cause it's just a stick... and the jo staff cause it's basically a truncheon... and a naginata is basically just a pole-arm...

Nevermind.

Katana. O_O  

WiskersThCatfish

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:48 pm
Was there a point to this? It sounds like he's just defining them. I'm not picking up any discussion... unless he wants to discuss why Western arms and armor are better than Eastern arms and armor.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:53 pm
User Image

I got this so i'm good ^^  

Red Glacier

sahihen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:17 pm
UH.....
ninja

Whatever that thing is....
ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:22 pm
I know it's not the most bad-a** weapon, but why no mention of the Tessen (Iron Fan)?

*fails at conversing at weapons*  

Sentama Lin

124-C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:32 pm
WiskersThCatfish
Jaft
Katana. O_O
I think he meant weapons specifically used and developed in the orient. But actually never mind, because that rules out bo staff cause it's just a stick... and the jo staff cause it's basically a truncheon... and a naginata is basically just a pole-arm...

Nevermind.

Katana. O_O

...shamshir...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:40 pm
124-C
...shamshir...
That was my point. It's just a chopping-sword.

Also cutlass.  

WiskersThCatfish

124-C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:46 pm
WiskersThCatfish
124-C
...shamshir...
That was my point. It's just a chopping-sword.

Also cutlass.

The cutlass is a derivation of the saber. Which is a derivation of the shamshir. So is the machete...

And, I just thought that I'd emphasize...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:47 pm
A weapon is a tool used to apply or threaten to apply force for the purpose of hunting, attack or defense in combat, subduing enemy personnel, or to destroy enemy weapons, equipment and defensive structures. Like most other things, weapon development is a product of a culture and how a society evolves and works with the environment around them.

/thread  

Sentama Lin

Kufasir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:05 pm
I'd hardly think you could call a weapon a tool, Lin. A tool is constructive while a weapon is destructive - while the item may end up being the same a tool and a weapon are intrinsically different.

[/strawman]
[strawman]  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:55 pm
lawl @ strawman comment.

Whatever is derived from what, that's not the point I was trying to raise. But I suppose it's been lost now.

Lemmie see what I can add to this thread any further...

A chopping sword is any bladed object with a short handle that is easily swung in one or two hands. They are sometimes curved in order to put more force behind the striking point. It's accuracy and damage are derived from the users STR.

A stabbing sword is usually lighter or shorter, and only wielded in one hand. It is thrusted for maximum efficiency. It's accuracy is derived from the user's DEX, but damage value still comes from STR.

A two-handed sword is any sword that cannot be used with only one hand, or meets it's full potential in two. It takes skill and training to wield them effectively usually. It's accuracy is derived from STR, and it's damage pool is STRx2.

A pole-arm is any weapon with a long handle, usually about as long as the user is tall, but length varies. They are tipped with many shapes of spearhead, including ones made for stabbing and swinging, and sometimes a combination of the two. Intrinsically they are mostly the same. The strike pool for a pole-arm is STR, while the damage is derived from the user's STR/2. Polearms pierce all bonuses provided from armor.

[/making up s**t off the cuff for no reason]  

WiskersThCatfish

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:56 pm
What if I have a Ki-sensitive weapon and I'm a monk, Jimbo?

/troll  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces