The Day The Sun Came Up- A Roleplaying Guide

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Katta Tsuki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:44 pm
Listen Up, Kiddies!

This is my roleplay teaching center! Its the day that the sun is gonna rise in our souls, the day that the blood of the soul will be spilled and words shall flow freely in the black pools! It's ROLEPLAY TIME!

I'm a real roleplay stickler. >.< I am literate and just now starting advanced literate! So, kiddies, I'm thoughroughly immeresed in this buisiness. I write! And now, I shall teach you all! Lets start with the basics, shall we?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:55 pm
Time to Play!

Now, there are some basic things you new roleplayers need to learn- these are the things that are vital to your survival as a RPer. These are the "obvious rules". Lets start with what roleplay is for the uber newbies out there.

Roleplay - to assume the attitudes, actions, and discourse of (another), esp. in a make-believe situation in an effort to understand a differing point of view or social interaction

In Gaia terms, this means that one creates a character and then plays out the actions of that character in words. You type out what your character does, says, thinks, or feels. In doing so, you interact with others characters while pulling your character's imaginary strings. There is generally a basic plot line to the roleplay, but within the boundaries of that plot, you can do... anything!

Of course, there are always rules. so, tune in to the next post to find out more~

((Note: I suppose by now youve all noticed that I'm a bit eccentric. This is exciting! There will be no particular order. Just keep checking back. ^^ Also, this whole thing could take a while, seeing as it is a work book of all the general rules and courtesy of roleplay. That in and of itself might take a while. Plus, personal notes. So don't expect this thing to be done for a really, really long time. Until then, no posty posty!))

Powerplay

Powerplay, godmoding, all those terrible things that are always one of the first antis in the rules. But what are they? You can call it whatever you want (I prefer the term 'powerplay') but this is the practice of being a little too all powerful. It encompasses making another person's character perform actions, dodging every hit, and auto-killing people. It is one of those things that every roleplayer hates and that newbies often get yelled at for.

((Note: I got yelled at for this when I first started roleplay. It was in the rules, but I didn't know what it was! Maybe thats why it's so important to me in my mind.))

Literacy

Literacy is something else thatis fairly important. There are several levels to it, and each level requires something from the player. This is the grammar, spelling, and postlength. Many of you who are starting out just now are probably under the class of beginner or semi-literate. Here's a list of literacies-

Beginner - This means that there will probably be a lot of one liners (posts that are one line of Gaia post text), poor grammar and/or spelling, and in general a cliched plotline. (Ex: a Naruto roleplay, a Twilight roleplay, angels vs. demons, etc.)

Semi-Literate - This is a roleplay a step about Beginner Literate. There are higher grammar reuirements, with better spelling. Also, the writers here will probably write more, about 3-8 lines Gaian text being an average. The plot-lines here are also generaly more likely to be original or complex. You'll still see some cliches, but not as many.

Literate - This is one step above semi-literate, albeit a rather big one. Literate roleplays require good speeling and grammar. It's recomended to use spell-check and read through for typos. Also, the posts here are more sophisticated sounding, with more impressive vocabulary. The posts are about 3-4 paragraphs, making a good 20-25 lines of Gaian text. The ideas are almost always original, or a edited-spinoff of a more classic story. (ex: Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan)

Adcanced Literate - This is the most literate form of roleplay. Perfect spelling and grammar are usually the rule of thumb, and spell-check is a big factor. The vocabulary is almost definately better, and the post length is one and half pages to two pages in Microsoft Word. (An average of 6 meaty paragraphs) The plotlines are in general about the same as a Literate Roleplay, although there is likely to be defined characters.

((Note: The literacies about are only basic guidelines from my experience. They're a good idea of what to expect from the title given.))  

Katta Tsuki

. ink . canvas . soul .

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff