I... it... really? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:45 pm
so I stumbled upon this guy's blog while looking up stuff on Disney's The Princess and The Frog movie and I had the overwhelming urge to slap the guy. Reading through the post I found him whining and bitching about Disney's racism. Now yes, I will agree that some of his points are true and that Disney has had rather racist black characters in the past but come on! This guy is going too far to me. He whines about the hyenas in the Lion King, completely ignoring that Moofasa was also played by a black man. He complains about the crows in Dumbo, who yes were stereotypes but at least were part of the good guys! He seems to act like they were bad guys. He complains about the latest Disney movie which to a certain degree I think is utter BS. Yes, fine it took Disney quite a while to get there but that's not the point. Hell if it had been a white princess he probably would've bitched about that too!

Now look, everyone here knows I think Disney is an evil corporation, especially after all the crappy direct to video sequels they've made lately and usually I'd be the last person to defend but I find this guy to just... be bitching about the wrong things. Is it just me or does it seem to be such a waste of time to whine about PAST racisms when there are current racisms to worry about? Yes okay, racism like that happened in the past it was horrible and bad, we accept it as a nation, let's do something about CURRENT racism. Don't whine about how Disney had racist sounding black characters in the past. Whine about how Blacks still don't make as much as whites on average. Whine about how minorities are more likely to be drug addicts or felons because of the places they are stuck in. Don't complain about past racism when current racism is much more relevant!

Am I complaining about nothing or do I actually have a point? Does anyone see my point or do you think I'm crazy?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:52 pm
Racist black characters?

You mean they hated white people? =O  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:53 pm
xp Uh oh...I'm gonna get Sanzo-slapped then. My college thesis was all about that sort of thing in Disney movies.

If you sift through some of those movies, there are some stereotypes and whatnot that can leap out. Don't let it sour you though. Just because that guy is analyzing Disney movies in a certain way, that shouldn't take away your enjoyment of the movies.

Even though I did a whole thesis on it, I still love Disney movies. It's just an analysis, don't let it spoil your day. *Huggles*  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:55 pm
xd I know that the characters were stereotypes and trust me, I don't agree with it. What makes me upset is this guy is making such a big deal about it. He acts like this is such a big deal when its really not, there are bigger things to deal with. There are bigger problems in this world then past stereotypical characters.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:59 pm
Ahh, well then he's just a nerd with an overly cynical attitude then. It's one thing to have an opinion and another to shove it in someones' face.

Try to think of it this way, all the enjoyment you get from Disney movies? Yeah, he'll never have any of that because he's too busy over analyzing the stuff and trying to ruin it for everybody else.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:59 pm
I don't like his writing style. Made me not like him and distrust his points. =l  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:01 pm
@Kyla, that's true, it just annoys me when people whine about stupid forms of racism that either don't really exist or don't matter anymore and ignore the current relevant stuff.

@Jaft xd I actually had a hard time getting through it at first.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:30 pm
This whole argument is sort of moot to me... I mean I get how people see the racism first in these things, but Walt wasn't really all that racist for his time. He was just making things that he knew, and it's hard to make something forward-thinking by our standards while living in a majorly racist society.

Also, I dunno what that guy is complaining about. Disney can't very well fix that stuff, I mean all of it is actually quite a well kept secret, not actually available here in America for the very reason he's complaining about.

But uhh, getting angry about it's going a little overboard as well.  

WiskersThCatfish

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:35 pm
I'm not angry about it so much as annoyed. It just seems such a waste of energy to complain about this when there are real things to worry about you know?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:20 pm
You might have actually liked my thesis then. I was basically looking at old Disney movies and comparing them to more modern Disney movies. And I wasn't all "Rar rar! Everybody should hate Disney" either. It was more like "I analyzed this, and here's what I found."

And yeah I know what you mean Sanzo. I mean it happens all the time, but every once in a while you catch an example that makes you go, " gonk Have you nothing else to do with your life?"  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Omnileech

Omnipresent Warlord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:44 pm
The crows in Dumbo were dead on racist stereotypes. There's no real defending that but look at when the movie was made.

Also on the list..

WE ARE SIAMESE IF YOU PLEASE.
Racist ... cats

Also in Aladdin it's funny that Jafar is pretty much the only main guy that actually looks like he's from the Middle East. Aladdin and Jasmine have like... light tans. Also some lines in Arabian nights pretty much bashed the middle east as being some barbaric uncivilized place.

Though Lion King? They got Whoopi to play herself.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:49 pm
You really don't want to start me on "The Fox and the Hound". xp I can rant on that one for ages.

But yeah, what's really important is modern Disney movies.
I thought Wall-E was the best Disney movie I've ever seen...EVER! xd There were so many messages in that movie, from the subtle to the blindingly obvious. I thought they did an amazing job with that one. It was like..."People aren't really horrible necessarily...they just get lost sometimes...but there's always hope." whee Best...Disney...EVER!  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

xDarkPisces

Opinionated Flatterer

12,725 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Super Jumper 500
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:01 pm
I thought Wall-E was gorgeous and adorable. It's good to see a bit of quality from Disney after such a dark period of... Disneyness.

On the OP topic though... Check out old Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer crap. There's a black maid in nearly every Tom & Jerry.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:04 pm
@Omni I'm not disputing those facts, I'm just annoyed that he complains about them as if they're happening today, when bigger issues are at hand. There are more serious forms of racism to be worried about than how minorities were portrayed years ago.

@Kyla ... I wanna see Wall-E....

@Pisces oh yeah I remember the maid.... you usually only got to see her body, no face  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:18 pm
...What I just read...wasn't an analysis. It was a rant. Purely a rant. >.>

So s**t in the past was racist. Yeah. We know. Now what can you do about it?Nothing. You note the mistakes of the past and move forward. You don't sit there and dwell and rant on things that were 'politically correct' at the time and assume that everything they come up with now is gonna be the same brand of racism and stereotypes and all that. >.> This guy needs to shut up. Seriously. He's the kind of guy that, if he were actually saying all this to my face, I would probably throw something at his head. >.> Then again, I have some minor anger issues...so yeah ^^;

Spouting words again, I know. Long story short: He needs to shut up about things that happened in a time where it completely normal. Times change. Note your mistakes, shut up, and look forward.

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff