Reply Community Lounge
The purpose of vegan bacon? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

palnoki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:58 pm
So I was in the market, shopping for some groceries when I noticed in the health food isle, they now have something called vegetarian bacon. I was like i have to try this and i did and I liked it and in my vegetable delight I couldn't help but ponder one thing. If vegetarians like vegetables so much, why try to create meat out of them, like Boca burgers or sausages or veggie bacon, wouldn't most vegetarians be disgusted at meat or not want to be reminded of meat processing? I find it mildly amusing that non meat products are tasting more like meat everyday.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:43 pm
Same great taste, now without the guilt!  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:49 pm
I have no idea really. But you bring up a good point, Pal (a point that I never really thought about before...huh.)

Perhaps it's for those vegetarians who want to raise their kids in a meatless environment, without having to hear them whine about wanting to eat a hamburger like a normal kid?

Or maybe it's for those that don't like the thought that their lunch was brutally slaughtered, but dislike the taste of grass?

o.O

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:50 pm
They're just jealous of our carnivorous ways. When they see us munching on a succulent flank steak, or chewing on a deliciously browned hamburger, they can't help but feel the gut feeling of "I want it!"
Now, there are a few out there who physically can't handle meat, and they are mutations in the genetic strain of humanity. Just like how milk-drinkers are a mutation (since we initially couldn't handle lactose in the later years), vegans are an experimental offshoot of genetic roulette.
Mankind is omnivorous, and I hope it stays that way, before we get "plants' rights" activists. It's hard enough to get a decent meal without having guilt thrown at you for the "poor animals." If God wanted us to not eat animals, he shouldn't have made them so damn tasty.

...I may have gone on an off-topic rant there...  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:54 pm
Erverain
They're just jealous of our carnivorous ways. When they see us munching on a succulent flank steak, or chewing on a deliciously browned hamburger, they can't help but feel the gut feeling of "I want it!"
Now, there are a few out there who physically can't handle meat, and they are mutations in the genetic strain of humanity. Just like how milk-drinkers are a mutation (since we initially couldn't handle lactose in the later years), vegans are an experimental offshoot of genetic roulette.
Mankind is omnivorous, and I hope it stays that way, before we get "plants' rights" activists. It's hard enough to get a decent meal without having guilt thrown at you for the "poor animals." If God wanted us to not eat animals, he shouldn't have made them so damn tasty.

...I may have gone on an off-topic rant there...

Ohmygod Erv...You. Are. Awesome. XD

*high five for being a meat-eater(?)*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:09 pm
Darn right. Carnivores rock. Omnivores rock harder. =D
*high fives*  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

palnoki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:33 pm
I believe it was the great george carlin who said it best. I love the envirnment so much that I would feel sorry for killing the plants, that's why I eat meat. One day we may get to this point  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:18 pm
I imagine it's for the people who used to eat meat but don't eat meat for a reason of their own: health reasons, moral reasons, etc. Some people, even after wanting to become a vegetarian, can't eat a fully-meat-less diet. Hence, meat analogues exist (which they've existed for a long time -- back to the time of the Buddhists making meat analogues out of wheat gluten).  

Sentama Lin

[ Terra ]

5,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:15 pm
Some people like the taste of meat but don't want to eat it on moral grounds so why not have, as others have called it, "a guilt free" substitute? Having something that still tastes like meat probably helps make the transition to being vegetarian/vegan easier for some people too. Not to mention that it even further increases the variety of flavours available in the vegetarian diet. Who doesn't like having options?

You said you liked it, but did it actually taste like or similar to bacon?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:27 pm
For me it's more the texture than the taste.

I like seitan/gluten-based meat analogues because it actually feels like you're chewing on meat. The flavour has never ever been exactly the same, but I never expected it to.  

Sentama Lin

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:44 am
rofl

New ad campaign: "Try ALL our guilt-free flavors! Now in Camel, Panda, Puppy, and Human!"  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:45 am
*snickers*  

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Blackie the Cow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:51 am
At some point in my life I need to butcher a live pig in front of a bunch of vegetarians and feast on its deliciousness while they look on in complete shock..... twisted  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:03 am
Meh, some like the taste but not the practice of eating animals.

Also, veggie burgers are a bit different because many veggie burgers don't taste like hamburger at all. It's just a burger pattie that vegetarians can eat.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Omochii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:42 am
aretoo
rofl

New ad campaign: "Try ALL our guilt-free flavors! Now in Camel, Panda, Puppy, and Human!"
rofl H'omg! I can totally see Burger King of something adopting that as their new motto.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff