Reply Community Lounge
What Should I Do? [Computer/Buying Decision] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:29 pm
Currently, I've included in my budget a new computer because my old computer's hard disk has died (among other problems: overheating, freezing because of static shock, and other things). However, with a potential job at a design firm, where I'll be administrative assistant (essentially backup to the project director) I will most definitely need a computer.

My computer is running right now because of a 1-gigabyte flash drive and a boot CD. The flash drive contains a small but fully-functional GNU/Linux system and it works just fine for accessing web documents (via Google Documents) and using the company's BaseCamp software for managing project deadlines and schedules. But I'm starting to wonder if -- if only for professional decorum -- I should have a working computer or just use this for the time being (I'm not sure if I will be provided a desktop or laptop for work -- I highly doubt the laptop, but there might be a desktop).

So I essentially have two choices: keeping the status-quo (using this CD and flash drive) until I buy my new computer or buy a cheap laptop hard disk for this laptop to get it working again while saving up for the new computer. Which one would be a better choice?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:32 pm
How much time will you invest in a obtaining a hard disk versus a whole new comp?  

124-C

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:35 pm
I have enough in my budget to buy a hard disk on my next paycheck (this week). It would simply delay my purchase of a new laptop which I scheduled to save for about a month or so.

The thing I'm arguing with is it seems like a waste to buy a hard disk for about 40-50 USD and only use it for about a month until I order my new laptop.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:39 pm
So, the minimal delay to a new computer makes the only hang-up the thought of being stuck with an extra, unused hard drive?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816003  

124-C

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:44 pm
Yeah, pretty much.

As for the case enclosure... Huh... I forgot I could always just use it as an external if needed.

My laptop isn't really worth getting a new disk for -- the design problems it has has finally ground my gears enough to want me to get rid of it.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:20 am
On the other hand, it's not a bad idea to have a "back-up computer", just in case your new one goes down. smile  

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:49 am
Whew! Well I'm no help when it comes to computers that you'll need to do serious and specific work on.
My boyfriend's laptop recently met with an unfortunate demise, and he needs it for college work. He stayed up all night outside of BestBuy the night before "Black Friday" to get one.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:21 am
i don't think i could be much help with computers but i also have some problems with my computer .it's constantly freezing and boy is it slow i'm seriously considering buying a new one.  

gem2star

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:02 am
gem2star
i don't think i could be much help with computers but i also have some problems with my computer .it's constantly freezing and boy is it slow i'm seriously considering buying a new one.

You might just have a lot of spyware and such. Or it could be overloaded with programs. I'd suggest trying to clean it out before buying a new one.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:18 am
My best advice would be to buy an external hard drive, then install your operation sytem(s) to that. Set your computer to boot from it, and boom, working computer. Then, when you get your new laptop, you just format or erase the OS partitions on the external and you have an external full of space ready to use for the new lappy.

Errr.... I think someone already said this though >_> Damn... Someone beat me too it, oh well, I'm too lazy to erase what I've already put in.

Kyla_Ewens
gem2star

You might just have a lot of spyware and such. Or it could be overloaded with programs. I'd suggest trying to clean it out before buying a new one.

Probably just spy-ware and ad-ware. Clean it out, get AVG anti-virus or something on it, and do a scan. Spy-Bot: Search and Destroy also helps a bit. Another thing you could do is get rid of some programs you don't use as much, or make it so some programs don't boot on startup. It should run a little faster after that. If you have a nerdy friend that knows computers, ask if they can help you with it... That's what my friends always do whenever they have computer problems. = / They just call my sorry a** up and have me come over and fix it for em.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:53 am
The problem with installing an OS on an external hard disk (I don't have a problem with getting one since I have a 500 GB disk) is that my laptop's BIOS is stupid enough that it won't boot from USB.

But it's fine at the moment, I think.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:21 am
Sentama Lin
The problem with installing an OS on an external hard disk (I don't have a problem with getting one since I have a 500 GB disk) is that my laptop's BIOS is stupid enough that it won't boot from USB.

But it's fine at the moment, I think.

That's easy to fix... Ummm, change it through the bios of course, but then go through the boot list promt, and you can choose which you wish to boot from. Another think you can do is remove "HDD" from the bios boot menu, and instead choose your EHDD as your starting boot. I had to do that with my computer a few times.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:13 pm
Nonono... I mean, even with the latest BIOS update for my machine, and even setting it to boot from Removable Media it won't boot from USB. ._.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:43 pm
Sentama Lin
Nonono... I mean, even with the latest BIOS update for my machine, and even setting it to boot from Removable Media it won't boot from USB. ._.

Not removable media. It's under a different name, and you have to go through a couple menus to enable it... Gah, I wish I were there to show you how, I can't explain it on here...

Well, I'm off for the night, I'll try to think of a good way to explain it while I patch myself up and get myself ready for bed tonight.

Laters.  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:13 pm
I figured it wasn't removable media, but I've exhausted every key combination and menu on the d*mn BIOS and there's no way to get it working.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff