Yay Tut!
  Yay!
View Results

Nevira Shadowfire

Intergalactic Reveler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:14 am
http://www.kingtut.org/home
Yeah, that's right.

The Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs exhibition that made its rounds in LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Ft. Lauderdale a couple years back, is returning for three additional spots in the United States, and I must say I am very happy with the choices.

Atlanta Civic Center
November 15, 2008 - May 2009

Dallas Museum of Art
October 3, 2008 - May 2009

Children's Museum of Indianapolis
June 29, 2009 - October 2009

Each venue will have artifacts from the Tutankhamun exhibit plus a host of others.

I'm definitely hitting up the Dallas exhibition. Two hours south on I-35 is nothing. (Not on OU-Texas weekend, though. That's dangerous. gonk ) Are any of you thinking of going to one of these?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:34 pm
I saw the exhibition in London last December and it was fantastic! I didn't expect to see the mummy of King Tut but I did expect to see his death mask but it wasn't there. Hay ho, alot of his possessions were and they are beautiful. It is also very educational, read all the signs ... if you have time, lol.

Have fun, you'll enjoy it!  

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Nevira Shadowfire

Intergalactic Reveler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:39 pm
Rennie`
I saw the exhibition in London last December and it was fantastic! I didn't expect to see the mummy of King Tut but I did expect to see his death mask but it wasn't there. Hay ho, alot of his possessions were and they are beautiful. It is also very educational, read all the signs ... if you have time, lol.

Have fun, you'll enjoy it!

Thanks!
I wanted to go to the one in Chicago but it was pretty far away, with little time on my schedule set aside, and the city itself being way expensive. >< At least in Dallas, if worse comes to worse I can crash with some relatives there.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:26 pm
Oooh, if only they would come over here to San Francisco! I wanted to go to the showing in LA... but that's a full day's drive, and I just couldn't afford it.  

WebenBanu

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:40 pm
My room mate told me that the Tut exhibit will be coming to San Francisco next year!!! YAY!!!! rofl I might actually get to see it then! Woot!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:45 pm
WebenBanu
My room mate told me that the Tut exhibit will be coming to San Francisco next year!!! YAY!!!! rofl I might actually get to see it then! Woot!

Go for it! blaugh

Graaaah...I'm looking at the hotel packages for the exhibit and they're all pretty steep. Not to mention ridiculous at times (a shuttle to and from the museum when the museum is only a block south of the hotel?) I wonder if there are any student rates...(*insert domo-kun emote here*)  

Nevira Shadowfire

Intergalactic Reveler

Champagne Jane

Dapper Member

1,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:57 pm
hopefully they come to canada. the last egyptian display was the "eternal egypt" where the artifacts came from the british museam. it was amazing how close i could get to the statues and stones, but as a negative it also allowd people to get as close as they wanted. i even saw a little kid try to climb a 7 foot tall statue of sekhmet gonk his dad saw him and grabed him off her lap.

lesson learned. keep an eye on your kids at all times! or dont bring them.

srsly though, i cant see how someone could bring a 5 year old when they cant even apretiate what they are seeing, and will most likley not remember any of it in later years.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:19 pm
crimson lotus
hopefully they come to canada. the last egyptian display was the "eternal egypt" where the artifacts came from the british museam. it was amazing how close i could get to the statues and stones, but as a negative it also allowd people to get as close as they wanted. i even saw a little kid try to climb a 7 foot tall statue of sekhmet gonk his dad saw him and grabed him off her lap.

srsly though, i cant see how someone could bring a 5 year old when they cant even apretiate what they are seeing, and will most likley not remember any of it in later years.

I am very lucky to live in New York where I have the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Egyptian collection at my disposal. There is even a temple inside! (the temple of Dendur, gift of the Egyptian people/gov to the US in thanks for saving Egyptian monumental structures from the Aswan Dam... it's a pretty terrible structure, it pretty much stops the natural process of river inundation from going about) It has many inspiring pieces (my favorite is a canopic jar lid from the Amarna period [Akenaton's reign]) that span the dynasties... they even have minature sculptures of work industries and orchards that are more than 4000 years old (5 thousand even, I remember being shocked at the age XP).
Here's some of the art.

I guess NY gets plenty of exhibits, but since I don't live anywhere near those states, I won't be seeing mr.Tut (I used to be in love with him in 6th grade hehehe redface I have a poster of his mask on my wall :O ).
My hope is to go to Egypt someday and see the treasures in their homeland >.<  

bluerain202

Sparkly Prophet

xxdevils_candyxx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:52 pm
i wish i could go see the exhibit, but for financial reasons i cant travel that far to see it...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:31 pm
bluerain202
crimson lotus

I am very lucky to live in New York where I have the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Egyptian collection at my disposal. There is even a temple inside! (the temple of Dendur, gift of the Egyptian people/gov to the US in thanks for saving Egyptian monumental structures from the Aswan Dam... it's a pretty terrible structure, it pretty much stops the natural process of river inundation from going about) It has many inspiring pieces (my favorite is a canopic jar lid from the Amarna period [Akenaton's reign]) that span the dynasties... they even have minature sculptures of work industries and orchards that are more than 4000 years old (5 thousand even, I remember being shocked at the age XP).
Here's some of the art.

I guess NY gets plenty of exhibits, but since I don't live anywhere near those states, I won't be seeing mr.Tut (I used to be in love with him in 6th grade hehehe redface I have a poster of his mask on my wall :O ).
Yea, after spending a whole day at the Egyptian exhibit at the MET.... I'm sorry to say this, but the Tut exhibit was pretty piss-poor in comparison.  

Suta_Hisui

bluerain202

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:24 pm
Suta_Hisui
bluerain202
crimson lotus

Here's some of the art.

Yea, after spending a whole day at the Egyptian exhibit at the MET.... I'm sorry to say this, but the Tut exhibit was pretty piss-poor in comparison.

Maybe in numbers of stuff.
But it does seem that there are some important and high quality works on display.
I was looking on the website's preview of the show and I love three peices... the duck earrings, the bust of Akhenaton(this is a very important piece), and the bust of Akhenaton's daughter are all startlingly beautiful. The earrings are amazing- they remind me of a pendant the Met has, the inlaying of the enamel and precious stones show some of the finest craftsmanship of jewlery. The sculptures are amazing because they show the entire head even though much of the art was destroyed from that time period (along with being gorgeous imo). I don't think that the Met has any gold sarcophigi, that I remember. So it's a give and take, I guess.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:35 pm
*sighs and sniffles* I was supposed to go to Dallas to see the exhibit with my aunt when it gets there but financial issues have changed our plans... I was really looking forward to it. We were going to get the audio tour and everything... Those of you who have gone to see it, do you mind describing it to me?  

Cyko_Elmnt

750 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Nevira Shadowfire

Intergalactic Reveler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 am
I went to see it over spring break in Dallas last month. (Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys, I got way sidetracked sweatdrop Thank you, college.)

The first thing about it is OMG PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. They established a temporary tent (air-conditioned since it's Texas) just for people to wait until their scheduled entrance time to get into the exhibit. My entrance time was 2:00-2:30, and didn't actually get in until about 3:30. gonk

Once inside, there was a short orientation-type movie narrated by Omar Sharif, who also did the audio tour narration, and then we were allowed to progress through the exhibit as long as we wanted.

The exhibit started out with some artifacts from Amenhotep III and Ahkenaten, some random artifacts from various noblemen or unidentified burials, and then a large section dedicated to the afterlife, using artifacts from Yuya and Thuya's burials, including Thuya's gilded coffin. Some exhibit cases corresponded to the audio tour, which provided a crash course on Egyptology to newbies and tidbits of interesting information to more advanced students.

Tutankhamun's artifacts were arranged in a room layout similar to the actual tomb. The first room was large and lined with artifacts, which was a welcome break from the tons of people in the smaller exhibit rooms. Some of the more iconic pieces were the gilded statues of Tut with the crowns of Upper and Lower Egypt, gold fans, the crook and flail, and lots of jewelry. The coffinette for the liver (it said liver in the audio tour and the exhibit label, but says viscera in the official catalog... confused ) was one of the standalone pieces, and the closest in the exhibit to a Tut coffin or mask.

After that room, the most interesting area was where they laid out markers on the floor where and how the nested shrines and coffins were placed, with a pedestal in the center featuring a light image of the mummy and funeral mask as it was uncovered by Carter. Once you thought about the actual size, the room got very cramped again gonk Artifacts in this room were daggers, headdresses, and more jewelry.

The last couple of rooms had pictures from the 1925, 1968, and 2005 examinations of Tut's mummy. The full-body CT scans were blown up and placed on a wall so that people could analyze them for themselves, and plaques describing what differed in each examination and what questions they raised, including the many theories on how he died. Strangely enough, the model of Tut's face they built on the CT scans that they were so proud of was absent. Not even pictures of it. However, the picture that appeared on the cover of National Geographic is in the catalog.

Exiting the exhibit opened straight up into the exhibit gift shop (I see what they did there razz ) and that was it.

Overall, I enjoyed the presentation and layout of the exhibit, and the artifacts chosen were excellent. Guards were placed every so often in the exhibit, but there wasn't any trouble. I liked how you could spend as much time as you wanted in each room. There was no rush to get out. The only real complaint I have is that there were so many people in the exhibit sweatdrop Also, it wasn't as detailed or spacious as the Temples and Tombs exhibit I saw in the Oklahoma City Museum of Art a couple years back, or even the Etruscan Treasures exhibit at the Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art in Shawnee a long time ago. But I still recommend it and any future Tut exhibits. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:34 pm
I wish they'd bring some of the good displays to the museums in Aus.

Would love to travel to US or Britain and check out the displays. I think most of our egyptian displays are 'replicas'. sad  

Sakki-chan

Dapper Hunter

3,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Glory of Sekhmet

2,150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:20 pm
Nevira Shadowfire
http://www.kingtut.org/home
Yeah, that's right.

The Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs exhibition that made its rounds in LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Ft. Lauderdale a couple years back, is returning for three additional spots in the United States, and I must say I am very happy with the choices.

Atlanta Civic Center
November 15, 2008 - May 2009

Dallas Museum of Art
October 3, 2008 - May 2009

Children's Museum of Indianapolis
June 29, 2009 - October 2009

Each venue will have artifacts from the Tutankhamun exhibit plus a host of others.

I'm definitely hitting up the Dallas exhibition. Two hours south on I-35 is nothing. (Not on OU-Texas weekend, though. That's dangerous. gonk ) Are any of you thinking of going to one of these?

It is definitely worth seeing. I was living in Chicago while it came through and signed myself up as a docent at the Field Museum so I could work with the show. I got to go in as much as I wanted to (although I was not supposed to actually do lecturing inside the exhibit, they eventually bent the rules a little and said I could answer questions if asked and then had me docent for some 'tours' inside the exhibit for some of the special night-time tour groups and parties). It was incredible. I think that, in total, I went through the exhibit about 30 times, and I probably spent over 60-80 hours inside there and I still don't feel like I had enough time to fully appreciate everything or relaly have my fill.  
The Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games