Reply The Japanese Guild
Writing systems of Japan Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fox Boy XD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:14 pm
Vincent told me to put these here, so here they are.

Writing system of Japan.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
This is HIRIGANA, the most traditional of the writing systems. This is used to write out most gramatical things, such as verb endings and pronouns and participles. It is also used for some words of strict Japanese origin. Although you probably could just write out all words in Japanese using just this system, nowadays most is written out in KANJI and KATAKANA, which shall be epxlained later. Notice the cursive flowing style of these characters.
This is KATAKANA, the most recent system developed once Matthew Perry and the infamous "Black Ships" arrived. It was originally developed to write out words from foreign laguages, such as CALIFORNIA or MUFFIN or VIDEO PLAYER. (Although I highly doubt they had those back then ^^ Most words are spelled and pronounced exactly the same way as they are in their foriegn counterparts, i.e. CALIFORNIA is KARUFORUNIA and pronounced the same. Notice how this set is more angular and blocky.
And this would be the bane of every student of Japanese' existince, the dreaded Chinese KANJI. While Japan and CHina were at war (for the millionth time) centuries upon centuries ago, the Japanese took many things as their spoils of victory, INCLUDING language tools, such as the Chinese writing system known as Kanji. Each one of these super blocky and fancy symbols is equivalent to about 2-7 hirigana or katakana. You may think this does not sound hard, but the fact that it is only one of over 2,000 Chinese kanji used by the Japanese will make your head spin just thinking of memorizing all of them. Most Japanese by the time they are my age (17) have already memorized all of these Chinese ideographs for the rest of their lives. Meanwhile, I merely only know about 100 at very most. I guess I should be thankful tho that they didn't take ALL of the kanji, because that would require me learning and memorizing over 25,000 of these guys. (Yes, the Chinese are pretty much insane with that in mind, no offense.) BTW, this particluar kanji I used for an example is KIN, which means GOLD.

NIHONGO DESU KA?
Looks like English, but this is actual just the last of our writing sets, the ROMANJI. As the name would suggest, it's just Japanese written out using English letters. Pretty simple stuff.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:57 pm
is there a way of writing the hiragana on the computer? like in these forums? if so, how?  

moonlightxxstars

Vincent Valentine-Jenova
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:10 pm
moonlightxxstars
is there a way of writing the hiragana on the computer? like in these forums? if so, how?

If you look in the threads there is someone explaing how to get Japanese text to run on your computer  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:53 pm
razz k, thanks. i saw it after i posted that question.  

moonlightxxstars

Meriko

Aged Gaian

12,400 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:58 pm
Small note~ ^^ Gold is kin. Silver is gin.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:35 am
My new Japanese teacher will rip up any romaji(japanese in english characters) he sees.... eek

edit: Fixed that GIN thing. It was bothering me.  

origamiboxers
Crew

SailorMuse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:56 am
I think that Macs have it on them already.. And Windows XP you have to download something and fix Regional Settings or something. I have XP and I can see Japanese text but I can't type it! ;_;  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:21 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Nagaikami

Devoted Seeker

10,250 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Full closet 200

ShadowIce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:32 am
I was wondering if anyone has access to the double hiragana sounds. For example:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. = Kya

I've found a couple of websites that have the information I'm looking for (such as the one I've taken the image from) but not only would I like to have one page with all the characters, but I'd like to double check the internet findings. I am seriously uninterested in learning Japanese characters and character pronunciation incorrectly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:42 pm
Fox Boy XD
Vincent told me to put these here, so here they are.

Writing system of Japan.

This is HIRIGANA, the most traditional of the writing systems. This is used to write out most gramatical things, such as verb endings and pronouns and participles. It is also used for some words of strict Japanese origin. Although you probably could just write out all words in Japanese using just this system, nowadays most is written out in KANJI and KATAKANA, which shall be epxlained later. Notice the cursive flowing style of these characters.
This is KATAKANA, the most recent system developed once Matthew Perry and the infamous "Black Ships" arrived. It was originally developed to write out words from foreign laguages, such as CALIFORNIA or MUFFIN or VIDEO PLAYER. (Although I highly doubt they had those back then ^^ Most words are spelled and pronounced exactly the same way as they are in their foriegn counterparts, i.e. CALIFORNIA is KARUFORUNIA and pronounced the same. Notice how this set is more angular and blocky.
And this would be the bane of every student of Japanese' existince, the dreaded Chinese KANJI. While Japan and CHina were at war (for the millionth time) centuries upon centuries ago, the Japanese took many things as their spoils of victory, INCLUDING language tools, such as the Chinese writing system known as Kanji. Each one of these super blocky and fancy symbols is equivalent to about 2-7 hirigana or katakana. You may think this does not sound hard, but the fact that it is only one of over 2,000 Chinese kanji used by the Japanese will make your head spin just thinking of memorizing all of them. Most Japanese by the time they are my age (17) have already memorized all of these Chinese ideographs for the rest of their lives. Meanwhile, I merely only know about 100 at very most. I guess I should be thankful tho that they didn't take ALL of the kanji, because that would require me learning and memorizing over 25,000 of these guys. (Yes, the Chinese are pretty much insane with that in mind, no offense.) BTW, this particluar kanji I used for an example is KIN, which means GOLD.

NIHONGO DESU KA?
Looks like English, but this is actual just the last of our writing sets, the ROMANJI. As the name would suggest, it's just Japanese written out using English letters. Pretty simple stuff.

kool razz  

Evil_Mistressof_Buahaha

Kumiko-Misaki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:03 pm
Cool! I never knew that!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:51 am
User Image

ShadowIce
I was wondering if anyone has access to the double hiragana sounds. For example:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. = Kya

I've found a couple of websites that have the information I'm looking for (such as the one I've taken the image from) but not only would I like to have one page with all the characters, but I'd like to double check the internet findings. I am seriously uninterested in learning Japanese characters and character pronunciation incorrectly.

I do not have pictures of them, but I can write them out.

きゃ Kya
きゅ Kyu
きょ Kyo

しゃ Sha
しゅ Shu
しぇ She | シェ She
しょ Sho

ちゃ Cha
ちゅ Chu
ちぇ Che | チェ Che
ちょ Cho

にゃ Nya
にゅ Nyu
にょ Nyo

ひゃ Hya | びゃ Bya | ぴゃ Pya
ひゅ Hyu | びゅ Byu | ぴゅ Pyu
ひょ Hyo | びょ Byo | ぴょ Pyo

みゃ Mya
みゅ Myu
みょ Myo

りゃ Rya
りゅ Ryu
りょ Ryo

हुं
User Image
地蔵菩薩

Tenzin Chodron
Vice Captain

lneeda Manzel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:20 pm
これは 平仮名 ですね。

NJStar Communicator is pretty good.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:29 pm
Judge Kurogane
User Image

ShadowIce

I do not have pictures of them, but I can write them out.

きゃ Kya
きゅ Kyu
きょ Kyo

しゃ Sha
しゅ Shu
しぇ She | シェ She
しょ Sho

ちゃ Cha
ちゅ Chu
ちぇ Che | チェ Che
ちょ Cho

にゃ Nya
にゅ Nyu
にょ Nyo

ひゃ Hya | びゃ Bya | ぴゃ Pya
ひゅ Hyu | びゅ Byu | ぴゅ Pyu
ひょ Hyo | びょ Byo | ぴょ Pyo

みゃ Mya
みゅ Myu
みょ Myo

りゃ Rya
りゅ Ryu
りょ Ryo

हुं
User Image
地蔵菩薩

Thanks. These hiragana combinations are often neglected.  

lneeda Manzel

The Japanese Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces