Submit

The Full English

Aged Citizen

4,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:15 am
I’m talking about the film with Will Smith; I thought it sucked but that just my opinion. Until a few months ago, I didn’t have a clue people had link the film with the terrorist attack on New York in 2001. I couldn’t see the link myself aliens destroying cities all over the world and trying to wipe out mankind; compared with a Terrorist organization flying planes into buildings.

So I asked an American to explain it to me and they told me the reason I didn’t understand it was because my country (yes they said my country) hasn’t experienced a terrorist attack. I live in England and there have been several attacks on this country since the 80’s (the decade I was born), plus I live in Manchester and since there has been a couple of attack on this city in the 90s, while I was living in the city. Also I have family in Israeli. Plus not only Americans lost there life in that attack and look how many Britons have lost there life since then stand by America’s side.

Plus I ask a couple of other people about the link and with a proper discussion kind of help me understand it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:07 pm
The movie was really just a cheesy action film. It was also kind of a comedy. I'm pretty sure British films and Americans differ in content often. I've noticed the British comedy's seem much more sophisticated. As far as the connection to events of 9/11, I don't really see much of a relationship between the two either. My guess would be that because the film depicted scenes of destruction in New York which might remind some of the bombings...Dunno really. As far as whoever you spoke to about you not understanding due to a lack of attacks in "your country", the person seems a bit ignorant. Honestly. America is relatively a new comer to attacks on our own soil (With the noted exception of Pearl Harbor). However, the rest of the world tends to deal with such attacks relatively frequently if I'm not mistaken.  

Ybrik

Ybrik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:46 pm
Let me rephrase that. By "newcomers" I mean that while America is quite often a victim to terrorism, before 9/11 we hadn't really witnessed it on such a huge span and therefore because many felt safe in the US, we weren't prepared for the attack, although such devastating events may occur quite frequently in other countries. For those who may have misunderstood, my apologies. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:55 pm
Ybrik
Let me rephrase that. By "newcomers" I mean that while America is quite often a victim to terrorism, before 9/11 we hadn't really witnessed it on such a huge span and therefore because many felt safe in the US, we weren't prepared for the attack, although such devastating events may occur quite frequently in other countries. For those who may have misunderstood, my apologies. sweatdrop

Wait, name ONE terrorist attack in another country that equaled the magnitude of 9/11.

It's the single deadliest terrorist attack in modern history. 2,974 people died. The second highest death toll to that was 477 in Iran in the 70s.

And if you include terrorist acts that target US embassies/property, about 3 of the 10 deadliest terrorist acts were against America. Which is more than any other country.

So yeah, we're not newcomers to terrorist attacks, and we're also not the only ones to get attacks either. Like Full English mentioned, there have been countless terrorist attacks in other countries as well.

I don't understand why people want to connect EVERY disaster movie with 9/11. It's kinda annoying, IMO, and the guy you talked to seemed very ignorant, Full English.  

EmilyScissorhands

chibihotachan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:26 pm
EmilyScissorhands
Ybrik

Wait, name ONE terrorist attack in another country that equaled the magnitude of 9/11.

It's the single deadliest terrorist attack in modern history. 2,974 people died. The second highest death toll to that was 477 in Iran in the 70s.

And if you include terrorist acts that target US embassies/property, about 3 of the 10 deadliest terrorist acts were against America. Which is more than any other country.

So yeah, we're not newcomers to terrorist attacks, and we're also not the only ones to get attacks either.

I don't understand why people want to connect EVERY disaster movie with 9/11. It's kinda annoying, IMO, and the guy you talked to seemed very ignorant, Full English.

I don't think Ybrik was trying compare 9/11 with magnitude of terrorist attacks on anyone. I think he was just saying tha prior to 9/11 the US had no real attacks to the homeland, on US soil which is true really since civil war. Even Pearl Harbor wasn't in the country proper yet.

That being said, ID4 was really a pretty crappy movie and it's probably best just not to deal with it  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:39 pm
Um, as far as making connections between ID4 and 9/11, the movie came out in 1996. So any allegory would be retrospective and, in my opinion, silly.

I enjoyed Independence Day for what it was, but there are much better movies that could be used allegorically in this situation.  

Sheboygan Milad

EmilyScissorhands

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:52 pm
chibihotachan
EmilyScissorhands
Ybrik

So yeah, we're not newcomers to terrorist attacks, and we're also not the only ones to get attacks either.

I don't think Ybrik was trying compare 9/11 with magnitude of terrorist attacks on anyone. I think he was just saying tha prior to 9/11 the US had no real attacks to the homeland, on US soil which is true really since civil war. Even Pearl Harbor wasn't in the country proper yet.

That being said, ID4 was really a pretty crappy movie and it's probably best just not to deal with it

I guess it really depends on what would be considered a real terrorist attack. Cause there have been other attacks on US soil that could be considered terrorist, such as the 93 World Trade Center attack or the Oklahoma City bombing in 95.

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded snippy in that earlier post. I've had a really bad day.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:23 am
Full English- we need to introduce you to the better representations of Americans.

I promise, we're not all that bad.  

AntoniaMerEnfant

The Full English

Aged Citizen

4,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:29 pm
AntoniaMerEnfant
Full English- we need to introduce you to the better representations of Americans.

I promise, we're not all that bad.

Yeah i know.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:54 pm
That is a very bizarre connection to be making, in my opinion. It almost seems like a really bad, politically incorrect joke to me... sweatdrop

The ones who travel can be idiots sometimes...I'll admit that and I'm an American! But yeah, we're not all bad. biggrin  

kekadu
Crew

21+

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces