Reply 21+
aahhh dreams.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

spectremis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:59 pm
so i'm seeing a writing coach on friday. i'm incredibly nervous considering i've never had a professional read my stuff before. nor have i ever really had the guts to follow what i've always known i was meant to do. any thoughts? anyone else have dreams they're afraid that if they chase they'll find they'll fail like most everything they've tried? *sigh*

if anyone has any uplifting words about dreams they've followed and have gone well...i wanna hear it (or read it).  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:08 am
I can understand how scary it is to try and pursue your dreams. I actually have given up writing several times. I think part of that is self doubt- and that haunting fear of "what if I really don't have what it takes". Yet, I find that stories about the people who worked hard and improved really inspires. Stories of the "naturals" doesn't always help, you begin to think writing, art, etc is a thing you are born with- ya got it or you don't.

One dream I had was to be published- in 2002 I had two monologues I wrote when I was 15 published. The odd thing was it was by some miracle fluke. When I was 15 my lil brother and I set up webpages (the kind with the cheesy formats). Well, I eventually lost the password to my site and forgot it existed. Then when I was 18 a teacher who was making a collection of monologues emailed me (it was forwarded from an old email address on top of that!) to ask me if he could use two of my monologues. The book was published in 2002, and that's that story. I will say though, I sort of wish it was some of my better work but it was still a wonderful outcome.

Someday I also dream to go to the island of Crete for vacation -crosses fingers-  

AntoniaMerEnfant

kekadu
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Ooh! That's so exciting! Good luck on your journey there. smile When I was younger, I had always hoped that I would have a book published by the time I graduated high school. That never happened. My friend and I have been throwing around the idea of collecting a bunch of short stories of people's first hand experiences for a book idea we have, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

Writing is so intensely personal that it can be hard to endure criticism on it. At least for me, anyway. What you're doing takes a lot of courage, but I'm sure it will pay off! smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:42 pm
I don't personally have any talent, but I do know a few who really have true potential in either writing, or other forms of art. If you have a dream, FOLLOW IT! Don't ever let someone tell you that you aren't good enough or have enough talent. What one person might hate another group could love. It's all about finding your audience and doing something you love. Good luck and please keep us posted on how things go. biggrin  

Ybrik

spectremis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:58 pm
oh i've never cared what people thought unless i respect them for various reasons. but when your dream depends upon whether its well received by others, i find myself suddenly more self-conscious then i've ever been known to be.

but don't worry if things go as well as i hope, then i shall be overflowing with words that will probably spill here for peoples to read.

Ybrik
I don't personally have any talent, but I do know a few who really have true potential in either writing, or other forms of art. If you have a dream, FOLLOW IT! Don't ever let someone tell you that you aren't good enough or have enough talent. What one person might hate another group could love. It's all about finding your audience and doing something you love. Good luck and please keep us posted on how things go. biggrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:57 pm
I also wanted to be a professional writer like an author but never showed anyone my work, I even have a story type on going with one of my mules. It should be fun to see where it goes from here. I wish you the best of luck always.  

Jaydan Sweet

Married Wolf

10,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Invisibility 100

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:13 pm
Ybrik

You'd THINK it should be about talent and potential....but when it comes to Art of any kind, it's the least important ingredient in making a success of it.

So, Spectremis, while your new writing coach will make sure your skills are up to par, I'm guessing you've got all the talent you need. What you need now is a little suppurt and luck from your family and friends.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
GOOD LUCK!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:10 pm
Sablara
Ybrik

You'd THINK it should be about talent and potential....but when it comes to Art of any kind, it's the least important ingredient in making a success of it.

So, Spectremis, while your new writing coach will make sure your skills are up to par, I'm guessing you've got all the talent you need. What you need now is a little suppurt and luck from your family and friends.
GOOD LUCK!

you're trying to get a free copy of the book when i'm done...aren't you xd confused  

spectremis

Ybrik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:20 pm
*Shifty eyes* Noo! Of Course Not! Heheheh. What is your your general topic of interest in writing? fantasy, sci-fi, romance, etc?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:53 am
spectremis
Sablara
Ybrik

GOOD LUCK!

you're trying to get a free copy of the book when i'm done...aren't you xd confused

...how about I buy one, and you can sign it for me??
biggrin  

Sablara
Vice Captain

spectremis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:41 pm
Ybrik
*Shifty eyes* Noo! Of Course Not! Heheheh. What is your your general topic of interest in writing? fantasy, sci-fi, romance, etc?

uumm..difficult question to answer. i'm not aiming for any one genre. if i had to tell someone about the book i'm working on now, it'd be what i told my coach. the romance and musical knowledge and feeling of Nick Hornby's book and eventually a movie High Fidelity but trying to weave in the blatant and sometimes uncomfortable way chuck palahniuk's books fight club and choke talk about sex.

the 2nd book i'll work on is trying to weave in the supernatural-esque stories of anne rices vampire chronicles (interview with a vampire, queen of the damned) and the tortured youth and untapped young potential of good will hunting.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:40 pm
Fascinating. Do let us know how it goes. I am pretty involved in the writing world (I'm friends with an editor, a copy editor, 3 publish authors, and I have written a few things (just for mags) myself) and I don't have a coach. I haven't even heard of one and would have no clue how to get one.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

spectremis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:41 am
I hadn't heard of a coach until I was reading a journal entry of Chuck Pahalniuk's (Fight Club) and he mentioned having one. It took me quite awhile to find one. First i looked up writing workshops in my area, and from there saw that the workshop leaders do one on one coaching.

I'm going to need an editor, and a publisher at some point. xd

Kipluck
Fascinating. Do let us know how it goes. I am pretty involved in the writing world (I'm friends with an editor, a copy editor, 3 publish authors, and I have written a few things (just for mags) myself) and I don't have a coach. I haven't even heard of one and would have no clue how to get one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:21 am
i dreamedtat i wanted a strawberry flavoured coffee because soemthing bad will happened if i don´t get one.
next day i went to starbucks and ordered one they told me that something like that doesn´t exist...
well today i got one, i tastes awfull.  

Ameliechan

9,850 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Partygoer 500
21+

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items