Submit

Malee

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 pm
My kitty Sophie seems to be having some problems. She sits in the litter box for quite a while but when she leaves there is just a tiny bit of urine in the litter box. Sometimes none at all. I can't remember the last time she had bowel movement.

She eats her food, drinks water and does not appear to be in any visible pain. I'm contemplating wait and see vs. taking her to the vet now. If she wasn't eating or drinking water than definitely vet, now. But she is eating and drinking water...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:52 pm
Is she visibly straining when she's in the litterbox?

Does her belly feel hard or distended? Does she object or get distressed if you try to pick her up?

What are you feeding her? How old is she?  

Anlina
Captain

Malee

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:08 am
She does object when you try to pick her up but that is very common for her, although she still curls up to sleep in people's laps.

She eats dry food, probably around 6 years old.

She does appear to be visibly straining while using the litterbox, which is why I'm leaning more towards the vet but I tend to overreact when it comes to my cats.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:04 am
Id take her to the vet sooner rather then later I lost one of my cats to urinary and bowl problems (I cant remember what they called it) but he was perfectly normally he just couldn’t seem to use the bathroom by the time we took him it was to late and he had to be put down so just to be on the safe side id take her  

twilight100

Anlina
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:25 am
If she's straining in the litter box I'd definitely go to the vet asap. I'm not sure what would cause problems with both urinating and defecating, but if there'd a blockage in there you don't want to wait.

Even if it was something not serious that would clear up on its own you wouldn't want her to start associating the litter box with discomfort and start using other areas to go to the bathroom.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:40 pm
I don't think your cat would be blocked since she is a girl and it happens to males. Females can get blocked though it just rarely happens, I have not seen any female cats blocked.
I would take her to the vet anyway you never know maybe she has a Urinary Tract Infection or something. It's always better to be on the safe side.  

NightWolvesCry

Friendly Gaian

4,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

DaNcInG_wItH_rEaLiTy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:03 am
I would deffinatly take her to the vet asap because my cat was doing that so i took her in and the vet said that she cancer so its probably important to do that. It also could be a urinary track infections and those can be bad. So you should take her to the vet asap.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:10 am
It sounds like a bowel obstruction, especially if she's straining all the time. At the very least, I would take her food away if she's not having bowel movements. Is she paying a lot of attention to her genital area, ie excessive cleaning?

And about taking her to the vet... I would take her simply because it would make you feel better. If money's not an issue, then take her.  

Naitael

Malee

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:09 pm
Thanks guys. I took her in today and the vet believes it is something like a bladder infection or UTI, I don't know because they didn't speak to me on the phone but my Mom. Gave her some antibiotics and will follow up in one week.  
An abnormal love of cats

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games