Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply An abnormal love of cats
don't let your cat scratch to much-story of a loss (earloss)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

taller2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:49 pm
don't let your cat scratch to much because it can lead to bleeding and infection.
My cat Noel-male persian 7 years old--lives with the married sister but he's my "nephew"
scratchs his chin and head so much he gets bald spots.
At first we thought it was cus he had an ear infection...he did but after the infection healed he continued scratching.
We have to put a cone on him some times. crying
Alot of the time he'll get an infection in the raw areas.
Last time the area arounf the ear and his ear got infected and swelled with liquid.....when it drain his ear collapsed and is now deformed.
He looks like he only has one ear.... crying

I found out about this last infection in a bad way.
My sister and her husband were vacationing and I got to take care of Noel.
I walk in and say hello check his food and water then sit down for petting time. He had his cone on and when I took it off I didn't notice his ear right away and started petting him. I look down and he has one ear!!!
I thought I did something so I try to fix it-massage and gently pull, but it was stiff.
I call my other sister at home and she said try getting it wet with warm water-not getting it in his ear. That's didn't work. I try calling the sister who was on vacation and got her voice mail, same for her hubby. By now I'm crying. I call home to talk to sister again and dad picks up...i tell him what's going on and....
He tells me that happened a while ago-try a month --that's what ya get for going to college.
He also tells me Noel's fine.
I'm now mad and shaken up.......take what ever moral you can get out of this story.
for learning is in 2 ways: by experience and by example the first is the most effective but the later hurts the least  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:35 am
*hug* I'm sorry to hear about that Tal! We had a scratching problem too, but an oatmeal bath and keeping their nails clipped down kept it from getting out of hand. I'm sure Noel will still be able to function fairly normally even with one damaged ear. Just keep an eye on his balance. I noticed a friend's cat of mine with a downed ear had a habit of falling over because his inner ear was affected too.  

Lyca_Watyre

Enduring UFO

23,575 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Beta Explorer 0

DaNcInG_wItH_rEaLiTy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:03 pm
I no wat u mean my cat purr is like an emo cat! she bites her paws untill their raw and they get infected but the vet said that it is usually an allergy... cats and allergies hmm idk lol but she also has scabs on her ears from scratching  
An abnormal love of cats

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games