Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply Memorable Threads
Get over yourselves, not EVERYONE is racist. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wall of text. Sorry guys.
S'okay, Nighty.
100%
 100%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 28

[Your Worst Nightmare]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:05 pm
Okay, so I posted a similar topic in the ED.
However, I value the opinions of you guys more.

I have thought about this for a long time, but I've never discussed it with anyone. Something that happened today made me want to hear the input of other people on the subject.

Today in band class, my teacher had us watch the Lord Of the Rings, because we are learning several musical pieces from the film. Anyway, there is a scene where Arwen is being chased by a group of men dressed in black, and on black horses. At this point, my teacher commented: "Can you imagine being an African-American child, growing up and seeing black representing all things evil?"
At the time, I didn't say anything, but I thought: How stupid.
The fact that the knight in black armor is typically evil, or that the white pieces get the first turn in chess, have nothing to do with race. The last time I checked, white represented light and black was darkness. And in films and books, most especially fantasy, darkness is a sinister thing. Skin color had nothing to do with it.

Anyway; discuss.
Do you think the "black = evil" tradition in media is offensive to people of that race (or to you if you're African-American/Canadian/etc.)?
Why or why not?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:06 pm
I'm Racist  

Do Not Panic

Child of minD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:08 pm
I never really thought of something like that before, I think if anything the teachers just racist.

I mean most people do realize the color white=white, and black=darkness. And why do people think dark skinned people are "black" I've never in my life seen a person with black skin, I'd kinda think thats creepy, so why should someone with dark skin even care so much about the color black?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:11 pm
Yes, because black and creamy brown are THE EXACT SAME COLOR. talk2hand

I think I was like, 12 when I finally figured out the "black people" I was constantly told "are just as good as every other person" were the same, normal people I'd been seeing all my life, and not some mysterious race of people with pitch black skin that must live in caves or something, the way the adults kept telling me not to be afraid of them and whatnot. >.>  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Child of minD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:13 pm
Lychee Fruit
Yes, because black and a creamy, brown color are THE EXACT SAME COLOR. talk2hand

I think I was like, 12 when I finally figured out the "black people" I was constantly told "are just as good as every other person" were the same, normal people I'd been seeing all my life, and not some mysterious race of people with pitch black skin that must live in caves or something, the way the adults kept telling me not to be afraid of them and whatnot. >.>
OMG when I was younger I was the same way, I thought black people meant people with actually black skin, wasn't until I read, uh I forget what the books called >< that I realized that black people=dark skin people.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:14 pm
A persons first fear is usualy the dark, thats why its normaly the evil color, its a broad generalization that appels to most people because they can relate to it. And if your coustomers can relate to it it will sell better. Its Economics, not race.  

iceryu66

Aged Hunter

6,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

darlingtonia californica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:14 pm
Your teacher should have their teaching license revoked or something.
They are a total moron.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:17 pm
That is one really stupid teacher : |

Black always represented evil.
Like when children are afraid of the dark.
It doesn't mean they are afraid of black people o.o

Slap the teacher please  

Drunken Echoes

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I think it's stupid.
Just because evil things are represented as black doesn't mean that everything black is evil.
Black is also used to convey elegance and sophistication. Our best suits aren't black because we're evil.
Might as well say everything that is red is bloody and everything brown is crap. >.>  
[Harakiri]
Your teacher should have their teaching license revoked or something.
They are a total moron.

I know, he's a ********. gonk

And to go with what people are saying, I never understood the terms "black and white" as far as skin color goes. When I was little I just said; "But I'm peach.. and they're brown... not black!"

@iceryu66: Thank you, that's what I've been trying to say!!

[Your Worst Nightmare]

de.Lici.ous
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:19 pm

I'm not racist.
    I want a black man >_>

I'm coming to America to get one D<

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:21 pm
Mamoru Senshi
That is one really stupid teacher : |

Black always represented evil.
Like when children are afraid of the dark.
It doesn't mean they are afraid of black people o.o

Slap the teacher please

I shall slap him indeed. scream

[Your Worst Nightmare]

darlingtonia californica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:28 pm
de.Lici.ous

I'm not racist.
    I want a black man >_>

IF YOU WANT A BIG p***s YOU COULD ALWAYS GO TO THE WINNER OF OUR BIG p***s CONTEST.

Who was it? Staples?
xD Not sure if Staples would exactly comply with the demands. BUT, you could always just rape him. xDD  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:29 pm
de.Lici.ous

I'm not racist.
    I want a black man >_>

*hifive*
good plan, not hard to do here, if I wanted a black girlfriend I'd...go call my current...or my ex...or that girl I had lunch with today  

iceryu66

Aged Hunter

6,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Voter 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

Do Not Panic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:30 pm
Pauly Shore says whites will be picking cotton in 3 years  
Memorable Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items