Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:36 am
Hiya all

Yesterday my fiancé and I were looking around town for a new PlayStation. We went to an electronics shop and I decided to look at the games and I saw this game, Immortal Citites: Children of the Nile.

For those who have played SimCity or games similar you will understand the concept of it like a snap. Basically you build you own city in Egypt. You start of with farmers and villagers then you get brick makers, papyrus mills, scribes ... the lot!

I came back from work early today because I'm sooooo ill so I played on it on my laptop and it's soooo fun! Unfortunatly it doesn't work properly on it so I'll have to shift myself to my PC xd

If you love games on Ancient Egypt and love games like SimCity then this game is definatly for you, and the tutorials are so helpful!!!!

I rate it 9/10  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:50 pm
Ooooooh...sounds great! Sorta like Simcity or Roller coaster tycoon.

Must check it out.

The heart of reality

5,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200

KeeperofShadows

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:05 pm
I own a game sort of like that called Pharaoh. It's for the PC and it came out in 1999, so the graphics aren't great. However, the game is so addicting you barely notice.

It's like the rest of the games in that you have to build a city and whatnot, but Pharaoh is unique because you start gameplay in the Predynatsic era and work your way through the different times until New Kingdom (I think it stops at the New Kingdom; I haven't gotten that far yet. sweatdrop ) As new technology became available to the Egyptians, so does it become available to you in the game. And you don't just play in Egypt. Pharaoh requests that you build cities in the Sinai for much-needed gold, copper, and gemstones, or in the Oasis for wood and trade into Nubia. As the generations pass, your family grows in importance until you are Pharaoh yourself.

Each city has certain requirements you have to fulfill before you can advance. My favorite one is your Kingdom Rating. It represents what other important Egyptians, and the people in general, think of you, like a modern-day popularity/support poll. The higher the better; people will send you gifts, trade more with you, and generally be happy. However, if they don't like you, then it's not so fun. I'll never forget when my Kingdom rating hit its lowest ever, a 23, and 'mothers use your name to frighten their children'. My girlfriend hit 0, and Pharaoh himself invaded her city, he was that disgusted with her.

And don't forget the gods. If they don't like you, bad things happen. (If Osiris doesn't like you, the Nile doesn't flood and you starve, for example). If they do like, good things happen. (If Seth likes you, the next enemy who dares attack your city will literally drop dead because Seth smote them.)

And so on. It's a wonderfully entertaining game that will keep even a non-Egyptian enthusiast amused for hours. Just don't let it take over your life. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:13 pm
The heart of reality
Ooooooh...sounds great! Sorta like Simcity or Roller coaster tycoon.

Must check it out.

The information you get in Roller Coaster Tycoon and SimCity is very similar in IC, it tells you who likes you and who doesn't (In IC, it tells you how much a group of people overall, for example Overseer's, and each individual likes you).

It is more like SimCity though because it is more or less the same, it's just in a different time period and country. The interesting thing is that you watch your city grow because farm houses take a few seconds to build whilst a pyramid takes an hour (It was a medium sized pyramid and I had a problem with my labourers at one point where I only had 2 out of possible 16 and you need 4 to haul a rock!!)

KeeperofShadows
I own a game sort of like that called Pharaoh. It's for the PC and it came out in 1999, so the graphics aren't great. However, the game is so addicting you barely notice.

It's like the rest of the games in that you have to build a city and whatnot, but Pharaoh is unique because you start gameplay in the Predynatsic era and work your way through the different times until New Kingdom (I think it stops at the New Kingdom; I haven't gotten that far yet. sweatdrop ) As new technology became available to the Egyptians, so does it become available to you in the game. And you don't just play in Egypt. Pharaoh requests that you build cities in the Sinai for much-needed gold, copper, and gemstones, or in the Oasis for wood and trade into Nubia. As the generations pass, your family grows in importance until you are Pharaoh yourself.

Each city has certain requirements you have to fulfill before you can advance. My favorite one is your Kingdom Rating. It represents what other important Egyptians, and the people in general, think of you, like a modern-day popularity/support poll. The higher the better; people will send you gifts, trade more with you, and generally be happy. However, if they don't like you, then it's not so fun. I'll never forget when my Kingdom rating hit its lowest ever, a 23, and 'mothers uses your name to frighten their children'. My girlfriend hit 0, and Pharaoh himself invaded her city, he was that disgusted with her.

And don't forget the gods. If they don't like you, bad things happen. (If Osiris doesn't like you, the Nile doesn't flood and you starve, for example). If they do like, good things happen. (If Seth likes you, the next enemy who dares attack your city will literally drop dead because Seth smote them.)

And so on. It's a wonderfully entertaining game that will keep even a non-Egyptian enthusiast amused for hours. Just don't let it take over your life. xd

That is very similar to this game! Though it is a mixture of all kingdoms because you can build pyramids for your Pharaoh and his family to be buried in yet you can make chariots for your army .... we all know that pyramids are old kingdom and chariots are new kingdom! None-the-less it is very fun because you start of making a small village with farmers, shop keepers and brick makers/layers then you progress to having labourers, an army, nobels, priests, hospitals, schools etc ... you can also trade with other settlements within Egypt and outside like Byblos and Nubia. There is alot more too it!!

I would like to play Pharaoh but my old games, like The Sims, won't work on my PC so I don't want to risk spending money I don't have on a game. What type of PC do you have, mine is Windows XP Professional (this laptop is Windows Vista with limited space).  

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

sjdfnkwnf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:48 am
Those games sound fantastic! surprised I got to buy them both! I have been looking a while for some games that revolved around Ancient Egypt and thanks to you guys, I've finally found them.

Thank you so much!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:46 pm
Rennie`

I would like to play Pharaoh but my old games, like The Sims, won't work on my PC so I don't want to risk spending money I don't have on a game. What type of PC do you have, mine is Windows XP Professional (this laptop is Windows Vista with limited space).

I've used it on a Windows XP and a Windows Vista. It offers different loading levels, minimum, average, and maximum, so that might help your space issue.  

KeeperofShadows

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:59 am
KeeperofShadows
Rennie`

I've used it on a Windows XP and a Windows Vista. It offers different loading levels, minimum, average, and maximum, so that might help your space issue.
Ow fab! After my holiday I'll check it out.

Who's heard of Ankh?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:25 am
I'm totally stuck on the warfare part, WarCraft it is not! I suck at warfare in this game, by the time I make an army, or build a wall, I'm too late!  

Star_Raven

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:29 am
Star_Raven
I'm totally stuck on the warfare part, WarCraft it is not! I suck at warfare in this game, by the time I make an army, or build a wall, I'm too late!
Built it straight away (after you've made some nobles, farms and shop keepers). Build the city guards barracks first and one commander (city guard), make sure they have a bakery and shops near by. When that's done build barracks for the archers and spearsmen (not chariots) and a commander (army). It's hard to know which direction the rebels will attack so I put my lookout posts near the palace, I never bother with security walls.

To keep them happy put a priests appartment nearby with a hospital and apothecy and assig him to healthcare. Get another one and assign him to tend Gods (Seth being the most important as the soliders worship him, then Horus for 'elite men' - being the commander's - and Isis for housewibes - being commander's wife)

Hope that helps! I find the tutorials on that game very usefull, so check it out if you get stuck.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:40 pm
I downloaded the demo for this off of Steam today. You're right, Rennie...it is addicting! gonk I spent most of the day just goofing off with it...it only had the Quick Start scenario, but after I finished the objectives I ran amok with it. I love how the time passes according to the seasons and the landscape changes to reflect that. Another plus is the villagers keep busy, instead of standing around doing nothing until you assign tasks like in Age of Empires.

I think I'll wait until next month or so to get the full version. 3nodding  

Nevira Shadowfire

Intergalactic Reveler

Nephthys Angel

Ruthless Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:46 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Next time you put someone down belittle them make them feel stupid, think about [me] then think about [them] and what they could do to you

I love Children of the Nile. I finally found it again but the CD is all scratched up so I'm hoping I can find another one. Dx

Another Egyptian game I found rather fun was Pharoh and Cleopatra, kind of an expansion on the original Pharoh game but you don't need to have the original to play it. Its really old so the graphics aren't as good as a game like Children of the Nile, but its really fun so you hardly notice.

How much would you [respect] them if they were the ones who had their hands around your neck and they had the choice To release their grip on your throat or to just

keep

P.R.E S.S.I.N.G.

...think about it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:42 am
This sounds similar to that of Mall Tycoon and Roller Coaster Tycoon, only better. I'll have to look at stores, and see if they have any copies available. It looks like my gaming pasttime is going to be coming back!  

FireSeekerBasil

The Lounge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff