Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.
GAD (We have cookies! See first post) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 58 59 60 61 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like cookies?
  Yes'm!
  GIMME!
View Results

metalmariogc
Vice Captain

6,250 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:02 pm

This one is a general anime thread. Discussion of any pg-13 and under anime is allowed here. Sooo....Start discussin dammit!

As a token of my generosity, I'm giving away cookies. So...the first one goes to the first person on the 3rd page! GO! The next cookies go to the person to page 30, and whoever rolls either a 1 or a 20 on 1 d20 (thats a 20 sided dice for those non D&Ders).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:31 pm
Yeah so anyway, I know Death Note is "annoying" and such in the other forum on the main site, but I have to say I LOVE that series.

I watched an episode one time and it drew me in instantly.

I bought the manga and started reading from the beginning. I was completely drawn in.

At first, like I said in my intro post, I thought it was just generally "serious" anime/manga that drew me in, but it must be dark because a friend mentioned Ghost in the Shell and I really didn't like that at all.

I mean...it is a pretty dark manga. It's main theme being Morality vs. Immorality. The main character is a super genius who's always three steps ahead of what you know, not to mention he has no remose and finds it thrilling to kill and become a god in the new world.

The Shinigami look freaky as hell. I mean, I know they're Gods of Death, but that's just crazy. Plus I like the fact that instead of the stereotypical like Scythe or something (like the Grim Reaper), they write in a notebook. Pretty cool biggrin

Anyways, so yeah, dark is like huge in my genre category now.

I haven't finished it so I can't talk too much about it anymore unfortunately (or maybe fortunately...).

Oh and, if it seems like I just like Death Note for the creepy and scary stuff, no. I love the whole thing as a novel, a cartoon, etc. I like everything about it honestly. I find it amazing (it sucks its only on CN once a week (new episodes))

Anyways, I guess what I'm looking for now is Dark-serious Manga/Anime. Cause yeah...it's awesome smile  

Colin_Jasper

Cheremy LeBeau
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:57 pm
I'm no hater of Death Note. In fact, I have been in love with the manga for a very very long time. I don't think it's the series itself that annoys people on the A/M/C, but the the fact that it's popularity attracts several annoying fans XD

Personally, Death Note is one of my favourite mangas EVER! I think the plot and the characters are brilliant and I was so drawn in whilst reading it. After every volume and I was more and more curious to know how far Light would go and what new twists would create challenges for him to overcome. I got really involved in the battle between L and Light and totally fell in love with Misa's eccentric personality.

As far as the anime is concerned, I though the subbed version was pretty well made, although slightly over the top and nowhere near as satisfying as the manga, but still really enjoyable for a fan as obsessed as I was. The dub is positively one of the worst things I've ever seen, so we shan't even step into that territory XP

If you're looking for something dark as your next series, I'd reccomend you check out Claymore, Elfen Lied, Wolf's Rain or Noir.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:59 pm
I haven't read the manga or watched the anime for DeathNote yet, but from what friends have told me it sounds cool. I just put off checking it out because they kept spoiling the storyline for me.  

Halycon_Galanodel

Sashy-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:03 pm
My friends keep bugging me about it too but I havent watched it yet, I really dont know if ish my type of anime.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:05 pm
I'll watch just about anything- but the super cute stuff gets on my nerves in large quantitys.  

Halycon_Galanodel

Sashy-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:10 pm
::giggles:: buh I luff the super cute stuffs!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:11 pm
I can usually handle a few episodes in a row but something like a Chobits marathon makes me twitch.  

Halycon_Galanodel

Sashy-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:16 pm
What about Elfen Lied or Strawberry Panic?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:30 pm
Saw on episode of Elfin- it looked good but haven't been able to check it out since it was on cable.  

Halycon_Galanodel

aelinar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:10 pm
@Colin_Jasper: I really enjoyed reading Death Note as well. It might've been because this was one of the first manga that I read, but it struck me as so original, intelligent, and thought-provoking. And I agree with Cheremy that the people who are annoyed by Death Note are probably just annoyed with it's popularity (where-as the Naruto-bashers and Bleach-bashers tend to be annoyed with a perceived lack of quality in the show as well). If you're interested in dark series, I'd recommend Monster or Uzumaki. :3  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:34 am
I have watch Death Note and to me the series is okay. It really doesn't seem to me that it really doesn't need a huge fan base like Naruto. I have watch Elfen Lied and never finished it. But my boyfriend got the thin pack of the series for Christmas so I can watch it. Basically I am more of a shojo girl, but I do enjoy the other genres as well, except hentai, yaoi, and yuri.  

Kagome440

Undignified Indiana Joans
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:47 am
If I must be brutally honest, I can't stand Death Note ^^;

Elfen Lied I've never seen, but to me it looks more interesting than DN >_>;;;  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:00 am
Deathnote very vaugely reminds me of Paranoia Agent.  

Sashy-chan

Kagome440

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:55 pm
I have watched Paranoia Agent and I didn't really like it. It creeped me out when I watched it in the dark. So, I am not totally into it.  
T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E.S.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 58 59 60 61 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff