View Results

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:40 am
I started rapier fighting about a month ago, and I finally figured I was going to stick with it, so I should probably start getting gear together. xd

I haven't been in the SCA very long (about 2 months or so....), so I don't have ANYthing, even garb. Does anybody have tips on what to get? I've been looking at stuff on zenwarriorarmory.com, and I'm having a little bit of trouble deciding what to go with- undergarment, then make garb, or tunic to start out with? Which kind of blade? Which helmet would be best? I found a rapier I absolutely fell in love with on the website, so that's no problem, but should I just get the starter set they have on there, then get the rapier I like separately (I figure I'll have a back up rapier then, anyway)?

Any tips you have would be great. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:29 pm
Second hand stores are awesome.  

Felix OFlyn

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:36 pm
getting the starter kit would not be that bad an idea. Then you have everything you need.
You can always make the fancy rapier clothes later.

I was lucky and found my sword and helmet second hand right away, and made my shirt, skirt,and boddice for tournoments in my high school sewing class.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Thanks! I never thought of looking at second hand shops...(grew up in the country, but moved to a large town recently....Yay for more shop variety!) I'll definitely have to check that out!  

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Spykeshawk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:48 pm
The problem with Zen warrior is their equipment is very stiff. if you have a heavy hand, you may end up huting someone. I run into the problem every now and then. If you want a blade for cheap, go to Absolute Fencing. Their equipment is cheap (but you're kinda paying for what you get), then you can just buy a pommel, guard, and grip from Zen warrior. Zen is amazingly quick, though. At school, we order all our old club gear from Zen, and we have it in a matter of three days from them receiving the order.

~Archangelus Cole Amici  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:59 am
ask around I have gotten most of my equipment from other fighters  

Autumn Guard Lady

talnari forsaken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:20 am
ask around in the barony's fighters, at a fight practice or otherwise, theres usually some loaner gear for new fighters so they can get started before they get their own.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:41 pm
I'm currently using loaner gear, and am slowly but surely getting gear. Thanks for all the help!

Yeah, I've seen Zen's stuff (the entire shire uses them). Thankfully, I tend to be a very light hand- one of my friends complains quite often that my hits are more like whispers against cloth (I really need to work on that- maybe people will call things!).  

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Spykeshawk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:28 pm
Swamp Sparrow
I'm currently using loaner gear, and am slowly but surely getting gear. Thanks for all the help!

Yeah, I've seen Zen's stuff (the entire shire uses them). Thankfully, I tend to be a very light hand- one of my friends complains quite often that my hits are more like whispers against cloth (I really need to work on that- maybe people will call things!).

NEVER make your hand heavier. In the East, at least, we play "to the lightest touch". If people are not calling shots you know you're landing, start asking people to calibrate so they know you hit soft. Calibration should be done with almost any person you have either never met or are unsure about, or if you just want them to be aware of your strength.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:21 pm
Respectfully, "the lightest touch" isn't necessarily the way to go, IMHO. Or, to be more precise, it doesn't necessarily mean "lightly brush your opponent with your tip." One does have to be able to feel the blow. Those of us who wear high-impact plastic to protect our chests don't always feel it when a tip just barely brushes against us. Not only that, but anyone who wears a poofy-sleeve shirt can tell you that it's not always the arm that you hit; sometimes it's just cloth. Just because the blade bends a little doesn't make it dangerous.

This doesn't mean you start battle-axing your way through bouts or throwing your hip into every shot you take, however, as that gets very dangerous, very quickly. Just be aware that in order to call a shot, one has to be able to feel it. There is such a thing as too light a shot in rapier; a shot that is impalpable and unfelt. But only that. If you know you've been hit, you acknowledge it, plain and simple.

That being said, there are certain people out there who just don't accept shots from others. Their problem can be anything from arrogance and pride to inattentiveness or distraction. Whatever. They just don't take shots. I was witness just this weekend to someone who refused to acknowledge a draw-cut so obvious people could see it from across the list-field. Usually those sorts of people are taken aside by someone of authority and given a discreet talking to. In some extreme cases, they're required to do a re-auth or they have their card pulled. There is a system in place for dealing with it and people need to avail themselves of it when it's necessary or the problem doesn't get solved.

Sarah T. Foole.  

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

XesXiao

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:32 pm
For me, in the Barony of Sternfeld, there's loaner armor for those of use who are starting out. it helps because those of us are new can still get in and get coaching and practice in. we even have long term basis loaner armor.
but,
best thing to do is ask a fellow rapier if they have any old armor (make sure the two of you are close in shape/size) and ask politly, you are asking for a possession. and if you dont have money, you can do in trade. help them out during events, watch children, cleaning, list goes on. i know most SCA members dont like the idea of the Mundane currency, well, at least here in Sternfeld they dont.
whee  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:16 pm
I stopped going to practice for a coupple months because I'm underage and I need my parents to take me which kinda sucks... I went today and they threw me into a bunch of loaner gear and made me fight. I got powned but that's the best way to learn ^^ It was alot of fun  

MorganOfCalafia

Spykeshawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:27 am
Swamp Sparrow

How's rapier going? Any luck getting your own gear yet?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:42 pm
I went to practice for the first time in a few months on Sunday and they had me go right to fighting. I got my a** handed to me through my nose on a silver platter xD It was lots of fun.  

MorganOfCalafia

Autumn Guard Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:55 am
My little bit of advice is to talk to those who live near you and tell them that you want to learn how to make armor and they will probably help you all they can. Also believe it or not i found my awesome amazing blade that i love and adore on E-Bay; which can be a long shot if you do not know what blades are allowed/ not allowed in your kingdom.

Solia Corsali
Barony of Stargate, Ansteorra  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces