A discussion guild on the study on Ancient Egypt 

Tags: Egypt, Egyptology, Kemetic, History, Pharaoh 

Reply The Lounge
Stargate Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you watch Stargate, any Stargate seies?
  Yes
  No
  Pants?
View Results

Star_Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:28 am
So well I was shopping in Target a few weeks ago, and I came across the movie Stargate. it was $5.50 so I figured what the heck, I knew of it a bit, but I had mostly a history of not knowing any of it. For one at the sci-fi convention I-con, I was a contestant in Sci-Fi Family Feud, Well when the question "Name a character from Stargate" came up. Both teams were like "...?". In the end my team won (YAY!) But I was determined to know what was Stargate?

Well If your getting into Stargate I HIGHLY recommend watching the movie first. It great, bit slow at first, but great. I don't wanna ruin it for you byt telling anymore, so my later posts in spoils will be in white!  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:53 am
So anyway Stargate starts off in 1928 Egypt, with an archeology team uncovering a round object in the sand that looks like no other Ancient Egypt object ever, along with a strange hieroglyph. Then in present day we discover its true purpose.

I also recommend watching the DVD after you see the movie on auto commentary. They filmed this movie in crazy conditions, like 120 degree weather, puppet trouble, horse and dog issues, and sand. You know how sand is.  

Star_Raven

lime whirlpool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:14 pm
Man, stargate was an awesome show. I used to watch it with my dad a lot.

I was just amazed at how much of it actually made enough sense. All of the Egyptian stuff and such. Plus, it was funny,  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:23 pm
Really? I'd heard it was ridiculous.^_^ I might have to check it out one of these days.  

WebenBanu

Nevira Shadowfire

Intergalactic Reveler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:20 pm
Stargate makes me smile and laugh. (In a good way.) blaugh I never really got into it, though, unlike my other sci-fi. I was too preoccupied with Babylon 5 instead.

I loathed how they made umpteen television spin-offs, though. What were they...SG-1, Atlantis...I think there was one more...  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:50 pm
I have only seen the movie...but loved it! heart  

luckdragoness

RoseBlack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:33 am
I saw the movie and some of the stargate sg1 show.
They said that Horus was the son of Ra and Hathor, but I always thought Horus was the son of Osiris and Isis.
I haven't watched the show in several months. I would not watch it to get ideas on Egyptian mythology. I rather search it up myself.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:49 pm
Some gods have many different versions of their parentage- especially Hrw/Horus, since the king was his representative on Earth and the king's relationships to various deities were all very important. However, some became more important than others at certain times, and so both Hrw and the king through him were said to be the son of one deity or another as the situation demanded. Remember, the Egyptians held to a mode of thinking which is known as "polyvalent logic"- common in indigenous cultures but not so much in modern ones. Polyvalent logic holds that two or more, seemingly contradictory, things can be true at the same time- just as the same landscape when looked at in different times of the day or year, or from different angles or approaches, may look different and yet still be the same terrain.

So I have heard of Hrw as the son of Wsyr/Osiris, Ast/Isis, Bast, Skhmt/Sekhmet, or Hwt-Hrw/Hathor, and depending on which Hrw in particular we're talking about there is also the one born of Gb/Geb and Nwt/Nut. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Ra added to the list. 3nodding

(Which is not to defend the scholarship of the show... just an interesting point I wanted to make wink )  

WebenBanu

Nissedragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:12 am
Ah, Stargate. Love the movie and its concept, hate the series spinoffs with the firey passion of...well. Ok, so they're just stupid. Nevermind.

If one takes the concept of the movie as sheer fantasy, it's definately an enjoyable thing. Sadly, it was based on the old myth about Egypt keeping slaves and using slave labor to build their monuments--not true!

But like Monty Python said--it makes a smashing movie/story/tv show!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:18 pm
Saw, er, own the movie. never saw the show. but i really like the movie. ^_^  

Silverdracowolf

Shadow__Dweller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:59 pm
I don't like the series, but I do like the movie. It's action packed and interesting. I don't like the theory that the Egyptian's were aliens, but it's still an interesting theory, and makes a good film.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:32 pm
I love it heart  

DeesseMer

Judy_Boka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:14 pm
OMG! It's the best show and movie ever. I dident like O'neil in the movie though then in the show he wormed up to me. XD
He's too funny.
I also like Thor. He is so cool. He's serously my role modle. It's funny to tell poeple that you're role modle is an Alean. XDD  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:08 pm
OMG so I saw the movie last weekend and the doctor guy (sorry forgot his name).... He looks just like DJ Hellsing!!!
I particularly liked the costumes.. although they were kind of inaccurate (why was Ra wearing cow horns/disk at all.. let alone on his back? o_O).
I really like it so far, its just disappointing that what I have seen so far (movie and first season's pilot) make the gods villians. But it is cool nonetheless.  

bluerain202

Sparkly Prophet

Nevira Shadowfire

Intergalactic Reveler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:54 am
bluerain202
OMG so I saw the movie last weekend and the doctor guy (sorry forgot his name).... He looks just like DJ Hellsing!!!

rofl
*watches movie again* Oh, wait...he does! eek  
The Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas