Crew

Original Explorer

14,475 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:49 am
Well, have you?

I visited there, near the end of winter, so the weather was pleasant rather than hot. I was in Tel Aviv, saw Joppa where Peter had his vision of the sheet being let down from heaven, floated in the Dead Sea, saw David's Wadi (spring) where he was hiding from Saul, and walked around Jerusalem and up the Mount of Olives.

There are many wonderful things about it - it's a lovely country, the Arab food was good, it's very modern, I liked all the "vacation" things I did, like the spa near the Dead Sea -- but the best was being someplace that I'd heard about all my life, where people I've heard about all my life actually lived, worked and walked (Our Lord must have been very fit, that's some hard terrain!). It was almost like coming home. It didn't feel like *my* home, but very familiar, as if going to the home of a dear friend.

It made everyone in the Bible seem more real. Even though the ground has shifted in the last few thousand years, here was where they were and what they saw. The locations are real, the flora and fauna must be the descendants of the ones that were there in Biblical times, and praise God, so must be the people, at least some! It made the Bible seem not just a book about mythical lands and mythical people - it made it seem as real and everyday as, well, Oakland, California, which is the nearest city to me. (San Francisco does seem a bit mythical still 4laugh )

I would definitely go back if I had the chance - money, time and traveling companion would all be factors.
I was also scared quite a bit of the time - but that, sadly, was also part of the experience. You never knew if you were going to be in the next place that a terrorist would bomb.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:38 am
I lived there when I was in fourth and fifth grades (I've just finished up my sophmore year of college), and visited again this past winter break.

For me, the experience more recently was extremely powerful in visiting the Kotel (Western Wall). I stood there, and I felt G-d's presence more clearly than I ever had before when I went there for Friday Night services.

We also went to the Israel National Cemetery, where all the soldiers are buried, and... well, it made me realize what a cost seeing all the Land was bought at... I cried... I tear up thinking of it... when I saw tombstones of people my own age, realizing I'd lost track of EVERYONE I knew in Israel... there are people I used to be friends with I don't know if they are alive or dead.

The land itself... it is lovely, but... won at a high cost. We must treasure it, and let not the sacrifices of Israeli soldiers and their families be in vain.  

RoseRose

Messianic Jewish Guild, an open dialog between Jews and Christians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff