• Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:30 pm
Dema
kirby_8934
Dema
kirby_8934
i'm half Japanese, i have a katana and a samurai style double dagger thingy
another one of the members in my house is Japanese and he has like a 6 foot long katana and 2 5 foot long katanas and 2 wooden katanas... he's teaching me how to use ze katana

I belive the 6 ft long "katana" is called a Dai-Katana or a Nodachi and the wooden Katanas are called Bokkens. ^_^

thanx i'll be sure to remember that. he's like 6'7" and his name is Obsidion.
btw is Kirby a period name back then?

Hmm I doubt it but unless you're going to try and get your name passed by the college I don't think it matters. Also you could get an official name passed by the college but go by Kirby anyway, I know lots of people who have an official SCA name but go by the one that wasn't passable.

OMG MY MOM HAS A JAPANESE BABYNAME BOOK! AND IT SAYS WHAT THEY MEAN xd  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:02 pm
kirby_8934
Dema
kirby_8934
Dema
kirby_8934
another one of the members in my house is Japanese and he has like a 6 foot long katana and 2 5 foot long katanas and 2 wooden katanas... he's teaching me how to use ze katana

I belive the 6 ft long "katana" is called a Dai-Katana or a Nodachi and the wooden Katanas are called Bokkens. ^_^

thanx i'll be sure to remember that. he's like 6'7" and his name is Obsidion.
btw is Kirby a period name back then?

Hmm I doubt it but unless you're going to try and get your name passed by the college I don't think it matters. Also you could get an official name passed by the college but go by Kirby anyway, I know lots of people who have an official SCA name but go by the one that wasn't passable.

OMG MY MOM HAS A JAPANESE BABYNAME BOOK! AND IT SAYS WHAT THEY MEAN xd

Sweet! ^_^ My name (Akagawa Nami-gin) means Redriver/water Silver Wave. I kinda like it hehehe.  

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

O C T O x p o d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:36 pm
I find that the best name source with documentation is Name Construction in Medieval Japan by Solveig Throndardottir, who is actually in the SCA. The book is a source used to authenticate submitted names.

EDIT: Solveig Throndardottir is the SCA name, I don't know what their real name is...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:17 pm
Dema
kirby_8934

I think at 6 feet long, it surpasses No-Dachi size and heads into the realm of the O-Dachi.  

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

DontPanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:38 pm
I float between Japanese and Indian (sari=easy)..though I do have one Mongolian type outfit for cold weather XD

I am going to be working on lots of false sleeves and such for this Pennsic, though. I can't imagine *really* wearing 7+ layers in the sun X_X  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:37 am
Flaming_Gecko
I find that the best name source with documentation is Name Construction in Medieval Japan by Solveig Throndardottir, who is actually in the SCA. The book is a source used to authenticate submitted names.

EDIT: Solveig Throndardottir is the SCA name, I don't know what their real name is...
Solveig! She's really just about the most knowledgeable person I know on the subject, if you want to get a japanese persona you really ought to go to some of her classes.

... and I can't believe I don't know her mundane name.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

O C T O x p o d

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:56 pm
Kittywitch: OMG! You know her? *dies of envy*  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:36 pm
Hello All! 3nodding

I have a mid- 1500's Japanese persona in the works. I'm still trying to get the back story and figure out her name. I was thinking Matsushita Tsukiko (that's the surname then the given name) but I have to prove that the names existed back then and put them into a contex that fits. If anyone can help It will be very welcomed. sweatdrop whee

Tsukiyo-Hime  

Ni Chang is GONE

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:02 pm
Flaming_Gecko
Kittywitch: OMG! You know her? *dies of envy*
Yep. If you ever go to one of her classes and she's wearing a kimono instead of viking, it's only because my sister forced them on her. 4laugh  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff