Welcome to Gaia! ::

Messianic Jewish Guild, an open dialog between Jews and Chri

Back to Guilds

Reply Messianic Jewish Guild, an open dialog between Jews and Christians
What do devout Jews think of social injustice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you read the entire quote?
  Yes
  Maybe
  No.
View Results

Bezant
Crew

Original Explorer

14,475 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:20 am
From the book God in the Wasteland

Quote:
"...the postwar period produced two quite different forms of civil religion. During this period, ...Protestants began to realign themselves around either of two poles, one conservative and the other liberal or progressive. The organizing principle in each camp was less theological than cultural. [Liberals, regardless of denomination] were drawn to an agenda defined by America's place in the modern world. They were most interested in issues such as the disproportionate distribution of wealth in the world, environmental degradation, nuclear proliferation, and cultural pluralism. [Conservatives, regardless of denomination] were drawn to an agenda defined by their vision of America as a Christian nation. They were most interested in issues such as the place of God in national life, the Judeo-Christian heritage, prayer in schools, abortion, and family values.

...Evangelicalism consented to become a form of civil religion in the mistaken belief that if it could win the war on such personal issues as family values, abortion and prayer in the schools, it would thereby be able to hold the rest of society in check, ethically speaking.
The problem with all civil religion, whether of the right or the left, is that it tends to be civil in the sense that it is inoffensive. It has no edges because it is driving not by a passion for God's truth but by the politics of the day, whatever those politics might be. Without God's truth, without his Word as its center, a civil religion also forfeits his grace and his judgment - and without these, it has no means to survive in the modern world.

Granted, that neither view is "correct" - I still find it hard to believe that the conservative view is wrong.
And, I cannot imagine how anyone who gives his or her life over to Jesus can possibly be concerned MORE about America's place in the world, than his or her own soul.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:54 am
I can see that what this guy says is true. Having had my eyes opened about the place of Israel in this world and the Hebrew way of thinking that physical life here on earth is what Messiah is interested in and that we will live a thousand years physically IN ISRAEL after He returns, I find it difficult to keep thinking of America as my ultimate country. I think that if we look at this in the light of God's Word, it's still important to fight abortion as a form of murder and idolatry (like Molech's child sacrifices). Prayer in schools is an ambiguous issue (what if I want to pray the Jewish blessings even though I'm a believer in Messiah - I wouldn't fit the Christian view of how a believer should act). Family values are pretty explicit in the Torah as well as the rest of Scripture. I'm thinking this question is about nationalism, and my true "nation" is Israel. Sorry for the rambling. I'm thinking out loud.

Cool name - Sodah - is that the word for hidden meaning in Jewish terminology? I love cherries!  

grani4fam1

Bezant
Crew

Original Explorer

14,475 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:48 pm
"Sodah" was just because "Cherry Soda" was already taken wink

It's ok to ramble - it's an odd question. There are so many things wrong with this world, and while God might use us to correct them, ultimately the improvement of this world is not his objective. For instance, equal rights for women and the end of slavery came about because of Christ, but that is not why he came to earth. Same with our individual lives - it's not about each of us living well, although that can certainly be a side effect of being a believer.

You are talking about the Millennial Reign? Eschatology's not my thing so I don't know...  
Messianic Jewish Guild, an open dialog between Jews and Christians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games