Boosting involvement in the Phys and Math Guild Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

No_Data_Mining

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:11 pm
Aetherius Lamia
It's difficult to post math online where text is your only option. "sqrt((x^(2/5))/(2z) + y^2)" doesn't really look all that attractive. Lanzer -- or whomever in charge of the post options -- really need(s) to get it with it. (I spent way too much time trying to write three simple vectors; see http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=6010611#102408816 .)

Online Latex Editor

Image dumping site with a BBscript img link generator

There are limitations in length, but by using mbox{} you can put in some paragraphs. Though there are some keywords that will not be resolved as text in mbox, so look out for those. Here's a post I made using the above sites:

Maguscrowley
Ok, so we start form here I typed in in LaTeX and got it on an image board

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And if they're all the same, then they're equal. Then pi_i forms the uniform distribution.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:42 pm
young AND not a physics or math major! D8

but... when I have math questions I cannot go to a teacher or teacher assistant (like during the summer or school breaks), I come to this guild as my last option. I hope no one minds! They're probably extremely simple concepts for everyone here, but I'd like to understand more of the math I do in my biochem. or physical chem. courses instead of just using the equations without really thinking about where they came from. 3nodding

I hope no one minds, but if asking questions about math/physics in this guild that's related to school is against the purposes of the guild, I will stop. Just let me know by pm if it is against the rules.  

freeziepleasy

freeziepleasy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:44 pm
No_Data_Mining
Aetherius Lamia
It's difficult to post math online where text is your only option. "sqrt((x^(2/5))/(2z) + y^2)" doesn't really look all that attractive. Lanzer -- or whomever in charge of the post options -- really need(s) to get it with it. (I spent way too much time trying to write three simple vectors; see http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=6010611#102408816 .)

Online Latex Editor

Image dumping site with a BBscript img link generator

There are limitations in length, but by using mbox{} you can put in some paragraphs. Though there are some keywords that will not be resolved as text in mbox, so look out for those. Here's a post I made using the above sites:

Maguscrowley
Ok, so we start form here I typed in in LaTeX and got it on an image board

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And if they're all the same, then they're equal. Then pi_i forms the uniform distribution.

:O!!!

Latex people!
I use MiKTeK! I wasn't sure how many gaian people use a typesetting document like Latex until now!

I love this guild even more.

(I had to learn MiKTeK by myself.... D8!!.. which is pretty much the same as Latex.. I think. At least the tutorials online for Latex work with MiKTeK! ) 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:47 am
freeziepleasy

I hope no one minds, but if asking questions about math/physics in this guild that's related to school is against the purposes of the guild, I will stop. Just let me know by pm if it is against the rules.

I can't speak for others in the guild but personally I find it helpful to read homework questions online because often they address things I hadn't considered or wasn't sure how to ask about! smile  

Mecill

freeziepleasy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:39 pm
Mecill
freeziepleasy

I can't speak for others in the guild but personally I find it helpful to read homework questions online because often they address things I hadn't considered or wasn't sure how to ask about! smile

Cool! biggrin

Thanks for your opinion by the way!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:14 am
Morberticus
JGMurakami
poweroutage
I want to increase involvement in the Phys and Math Guild hwr, I need some suggestions. Is there anything you wish to be done? What do you think can be done about this? Should we even do anything?

Part of the problem may be having a fairly young crowd who doesn't post very much because they feel they can't contribute to the topics. ANYTHING IS OK (as long as it's phys/math) I would love to see people post more about simpler topics.

I definitely think there should be more involvement.

I was browsing through some of the postings, and I found that I couldn't really contribute anything to the topic since I'm not a physics student. Most of the topics posted have to do with physics, and I don't want to post anything that might cause someone to snicker. sweatdrop

I'll try to think of some math type things to post... Don't know when I would post since the semester has started up again, but I will try! surprised

Nah physics students are a humble lot. The only thing that annoys us is if people declare things like "Einstein is wrong! I proved it!" If there's something in physics you're interested in or don't understand always ask. 99% of the time your question can be answered in lay terms.

Einstein wasn't wrong - but he wasn't right either. Einstein wasn't happy with his work. He felt something was missing or wrong - but he couldn't figure out what. This where Quantum Mechanics steps in - to further answer Einstein's question (problem). However, Quantum Mechanics was also shown to have it's flaws - then came Superstrings (worm holes) and Manifolds.

Basilia Ann E

3,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
The Physics and Mathematics Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items