Reply The Japanese Guild
Word for...?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:12 am
Ok, there's yaoi, yuri, shounen-ai, shoujo-ai, and hentai. So...is there a word for guyxgirl couples? Not leaning toward the perverted side though...

Please don't flame me! I'm not trying to offend anyone!

(I apologize for making this topic in your guild out of the blue, but had there been a forum for the Japanese language I would have posted this there.)

Your input is appreciated. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:51 pm
Um, note that actually in Japan, shounen-ai actually refers to boyxboy relationships that are more...explicit in nature. It's a common misconception overseas that the term is considered to be "lighter" in nature and people are generally unaware of the Japanese term for it which would be katakana-ized "Boys Love" and often shorthanded to "BL".

The girl counterpart of course would be "Girls Love" and actually not "shoujo-ai".

Wikipedia terminology note:

Quote:

The term shōnen-ai is no longer used in Japan; the wasei-eigo construction Boys Love (ボーイズラブ, Bōizu Rabu?, but usually rendered as English, occasionally spelled Boy's Love or Boys' Love, or abbreviated BL) has largely displaced it, due to associations of the original term with pederasty (which were not associated into English usage). Ironically, the similar English term "boylove" has the exact meaning Boys Love was coined to avoid.

As for the het relationships, I honestly have no idea.  

Yilei

Eloquent Entrepreneur

12,000 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Elocutionist 200

Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:57 pm
Aaaaah....thanks for the explanation. 3nodding I had wondered where those terms came from.

Original question still pending to whoever else may be able to answer. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:27 pm
(Random person who happened to come across the guild~)

Hmm... I don't know if there's an exact word for that. "Futsuu" (普通) would be the word for normal...
Well, the dictionary translation for heterosexual is "iseiai" (異性愛), though. (as 同性愛 "douseiai" is "love for the same sex," 異性愛 "iseiai" is
"love for the different sex.")
I hope that was of some help? sweatdrop  

II MiU II

roxybudgy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:06 am
Heterosexuality is considered normal, so unless otherwise stated (or implied), a character's sexuality is het. And the Japanese tend to speak without stating the obvious, so my guess is that they don't assign a special word to het couples.  
The Japanese Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games