Submit

Do you feel the same?
  yep
  nah
View Results

[ b r i. l a l a ]

Anxious Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:56 am
I may be the only one who feels this way, but it gets so annoying talking to some teens on Gaia. They talk about cartoon characters, music artists, and actors and how much they love them and "Hands off, he's mine!" Most of the time I have no idea what or who they're talking about. I don't watch anime or read manga. I take quizzes to earn gold and that question is always in one.

I watch cartoons, but I watch Backyardigans and Dora the Explorer with my daughter. I don't know anything about the cartoons of today. I watched Ren and Stimpy, Doug, Rugrats, and Bobby's World. But I never talked about how sexy the guys were, which most of the teen girls do today. I mean yeah, when I was in highschool I fantasized about being married to a Backstreet Boy or *NSYNCer. But these are cartoon characters. Fictional cartoons. How can a cartoon be sexy? I don't get it. confused  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:05 am

this guild is awesome. We shouldn't have to be stuck with those perverted kids. I'm not into anime either and have never seen a manga.

Soillse

[ b r i. l a l a ]

Anxious Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:19 am
I agree, but a lot of teens probably feel that we shouldn't be allowed on here. Another thing that gets me is the foul mouths on these teens. Its horrible. Oh and the way they talk about their parents.

But then again, I had a foul mouth when I was their age and I trash talked my mom all the time. But I am a mother now and I just feel a little offended by it. But that's just me.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:50 am
If it wasn't for the older members of gaia, I wouldn't have stayed around. I thought it looked interseting when joined and I'm rather cautious what I say online to begin with. With this guild, I fit in more. I have the language filter on. I don't really need to see that stuff. I don't swear much at all to begin with. I mostly post and vote in polls myself. I'm always playing with my avatar's look. Have fun while you are here. smile  

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100

SydneySkye
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:48 pm
My son is in to anime and manga. Not me. I don't mind it though.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:02 pm
that's the thing too that's strange. I don't really swear either but you have to be cautious that the person that you're talking to would be younger. So they have more ability to say things than I'd be able to. Not that that's come up but it's relevant I guess. It's weird because I wouldnt really be talking to a bunch of high school / middle school students in another circumstance. Not that there's anything wrong with them. You know what i mean.  

Soillse

Soillse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:03 pm
Briala_Kylara
I agree, but a lot of teens probably feel that we shouldn't be allowed on here. Another thing that gets me is the foul mouths on these teens. Its horrible. Oh and the way they talk about their parents.

But then again, I had a foul mouth when I was their age and I trash talked my mom all the time. But I am a mother now and I just feel a little offended by it. But that's just me.

You can only see how "parenty" you get when you're around children and teens.. You don't even realize it until it happens, haha. Like you said, you did those things but then you can't endorse them.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:34 pm
I don't really mind the teens on Gaia, it's just that I'm happier having conversations with people closer to my own age...  

Doressa
Captain

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:26 pm
Gaia has made me realize how absolutely annoying I was as a teen and made me wonder why more people didn't tell me to go 'stuff it.' But like you, with age and life experience has also come appreciation for my mother. They'll eventually grow up as well.

It can get a bit hard out there at times and you can feel isolated. I think a lot of what the teens do out there is showing off. Makes them feel all grown up like those silly dramas they watch. lol

We also have a parents guild here on Gaia if you--or anyone else--would like to join. Just look up the Gaian Parents Guild. 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:11 pm
Heh, Doressa, I'm with you. I have nothing against teenagers, as long as they're able to converse on an intelligent level. Of course, the minute anyone uses numbers as letters and letters as entire words, I feel free to disregard anything they say, no matter HOW old they are. blaugh

Of course, I still collect toys, read comics, and watch cartoons, so I can still relate to kids. My younger cousins all view me with awe, because I collect Littlest Petshop toys and stuffed animals and action figures.

But I still enjoy talking about these things with adults who enjoy the same, because I don't just watch anime, I'm an animation afficianato. Cartoons aren't just for kids. wink I can talk intelligently about animation types and influences and histories from all over the world. That's just far more rewarding that claiming which anime character is hotter than another (although I will admit to enjoying 2D aesthetics in characters and know many, MANY adults who do the same).  

Seeress

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:13 pm
I lust after animated men but for an unusual reason. I like to draw myself, and I find certain features of the human body gorgeous. It's a weird thing, I wish I had drawn some of the chars I see. But then again my favorite anime is Weiss Kreuz and the men in that series are very well drawn. But that's also cause voice actor Takehito Koyasu has such a well developed char. I like fictional men because they have a sort of cool suave nature real men don't tend to have. Still I know they're fictional, so I don't get hung up. My friend and I joke about wanting to bang the fictional men, but that's in good humor and that's how we cope with less than impressive real men. It's our little time out from the drudgery of routine and reality. Even as adults the occassional make believe can warrant catharsis-- thus role playing ^_^

Still I'm thoroughly relieved to be a part of this guild. I like anime but it's an escape. My problems don't involve a slow quest on gaia or a bummer episode on cartoon network. Problems for me entail trouble at work, financial difficulties, and alcoholic family members.

I like this guild because it's so positive and friendly, and we talk about real adult issues. It's clean, but it's still intellectually stimulating. It's a little like Camelot--- well before everything went to heck. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:15 pm
Camelot...I like that analogy!! 3nodding  

Doressa
Captain

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:20 pm
Yay-- Doressa can I be Lady Elaine? My heart always went out to poor Lady Elaine, especially in the T. H. White rendition of "once and future king".  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:24 pm
Absolutely!!  

Doressa
Captain

NessaChan
Crew

Sparkly Nerd

8,100 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:33 pm
Hmm... I'm 26 and still find certain animated men sexy ... sweatdrop

But then again, I am a dork, so that could account for it. =)  
21+

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games