Submit

Dammask

7,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:45 am
Sekanjabin:

4 cups sugar in 2.5 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Add 1 cup wine vinegar. Simmer for half an hour. Add a handfull of mint. (Spearmint leaves, or peppermint oil may be used).

Dilute the resulting syrup to taste with ice water (5 to 10 parts water to 1 part syrup). The syrup stores WITHOUT refridgeration (herefore excellent for camping, Pennsic, etc...).

Sekanjabin is a period drink. it is mentioned in the Fihrist of al-Nadim, which was written in the tenth century. You may omit the mint.

Taken from a book put out by Duke Sir Cariadoc of the Bow.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:01 pm
The great thing about being an East Roman persona means that there are a lot of recipes that are still being used today at Greek restaurants, though I must confess that we still don't know much about the general things those in Constantinople ate because they didn't really hold onto cookbooks, unlike the Greeks and Romans (yes, THOSE Greeks and Romans).

Dolmades are FANTASTIC. I love them, and besides, they're pretty simple to make.

Dolmades (from Gode Cookery's Byzantine section)

* 3/4 cup of olive oil
* 1/2 onion, chopped
* 8 scallions, chopped fine
* 2 lg. cloves of garlic, chopped
* 1 cup natural barley
* chopped fresh dill to taste
* 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
* juice of 1/2 lemon
* salt to taste
* 1 cup hot water
* 1 one pound jar grapevine leaves
* 3-4 pound chicken, cut in quarters

Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a skillet and add the onion and scallion and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes. Add barley, and brown slightly, stirring frequently, then add dill, parsley, lemon juice, salt and remaining olive oil. Stir well and add hot water. Cover and let simmer for five minutes. remove the grapeleaves from the jar and rinse. Line an enamel pan with a layer of leaves and set aside. To stuff the leaves, put a leaf on the work surface with the rough side up and the stem end toward you. Place a teaspoonful of barley mixture near the stem end. Using both hands, fold the part of the leaf near you up and over the filling. Then fold the right side of the leaf over the filling and then the left side and roll tightly and away from you, toward the pointed end. Place in the prepared pan with the seam side down. Continue until you have used all the ingredients. Place an inverted plate on top of the dolamades and add enough water to come up to the edge of the plate. Rub the chicken with additional lemon juice and garlic and place on top of the plate. Bring to a boil and then cover the pan, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 1/4 hours. Check to see that the barley is tender and the chicken cooked. Remove, cool and chill. Serve with sour cream or Avgolemono Sauce (which is also on the site.)  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:58 pm
Dammask
Sekanjabin:

4 cups sugar in 2.5 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Add 1 cup wine vinegar. Simmer for half an hour. Add a handfull of mint. (Spearmint leaves, or peppermint oil may be used).

Dilute the resulting syrup to taste with ice water (5 to 10 parts water to 1 part syrup). The syrup stores WITHOUT refridgeration (herefore excellent for camping, Pennsic, etc...).

Sekanjabin is a period drink. it is mentioned in the Fihrist of al-Nadim, which was written in the tenth century. You may omit the mint.

OooOOOOOOoooooh. My lord LOVES the stuff. A bottle was given to us by the feastocrat at an event hosted by the Barony of Jararvellir earlier this year. I'll have to pass this along to him, it will make him happydance.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:36 pm
Imzy
Dammask
Sekanjabin:

OooOOOOOOoooooh. My lord LOVES the stuff. A bottle was given to us by the feastocrat at an event hosted by the Barony of Jararvellir earlier this year. I'll have to pass this along to him, it will make him happydance.

*happydances* Oh, yeah. That's the stuff. I could sip on that all day. Well...if there's no Windhaven mead handy. mrgreen  

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:07 pm
Gaijin32
Imzy
Dammask
Sekanjabin:

*happydances* Oh, yeah. That's the stuff. I could sip on that all day. Well...if there's no Windhaven mead handy. mrgreen

mmmmmm.... Windhaven mead..... *drools*  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff