Reply SCA Guild
Boots anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kosem

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:48 pm
So I've run into a garb issue. My aunt made me a tunic and vest, and I found a belt and pants. But I have run into a problem, namely boots. My very basic garb is almost complete save for the elusive boots. I've found stuff on basic garb, but absolutly nothing on footwear. What sort of footwear should I have, and where can I locate it. I don't have a persona yet this is just my basic garb until I come up with something. Anyone have any advise?  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:14 pm
Boots are pretty easy, especially when you're first starting out. Are they fairly plain? Excellent. Black or brown is best. I've had great luck at places like Value Village and the Salvation Army. Basically, if they're unobtrusive and in a neutral colour, you're probably safe. I generally wear black leather boots and, at indoor events where I'm not fighting, I will sometimes wear black dance slippers.  

Arithrel
Crew

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:14 am
Yes, dance shoes are excellent... namely jazz boots. They're usually a basic black soft leather boot or shoe. Only problem with those, is they're not very durable for outdoor wear (great for balls, though!). I found some great basic black leather sketchers that are fantastic for outdoors when it isn't too hot. Brand doesn't really matter, but it shows that you can find this kind of thing in common modern day shoe stores. Leather sandals are also great. If you're interested in making your own, it isn't too difficult, either. If you can't for some odd reason find a pattern online, Simplicity now has a pattern for 6 different styles of shoes/boots. Not all of them are our period, but some of them are. Then all you need is some leather or hearty cloth, scissors, laces, and an insole.  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:43 pm
www.renboots.com
www.museumreplicas.com

Both of the above have some wonderful options. www.sofistitches.com also has some attractive boots, but I've had issues with their quality so I don't know that I'd go with them.

If you have somewhere to buy tall moccosins without fringe they're excellent. If fringed is the only option, they can be made period by carefully cutting off the fringe. No one will ever know.  

Not-So-Sweet Transvestite

Hyratel Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:46 am
I say, go with some buff-able work boots, preferably with high ankles. if they are flat leather (as oppposed to suede), get a can of the right color polish and a boot-brush. The polish is not so much for looks as for water-proofing. I, myself, wear steel-toes, as they are very good for fighting heavy. One thing about steel-toes, though, is that the toe-caps have to be VERY comfortable, otherwise you wind up with sore toenails. not fun.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:39 pm
There's this company out of Israel that I buy my shoes through (but then again, I'm an Eastern Roman out of Constantinople).

Their shoes are fab, and I think they make both men's and women's shoes.

http://www.naot.com/index.html

Hope this helps!  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Dammask

7,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:46 pm
Kosem
So I've run into a garb issue. My aunt made me a tunic and vest, and I found a belt and pants. But I have run into a problem, namely boots. My very basic garb is almost complete save for the elusive boots. I've found stuff on basic garb, but absolutly nothing on footwear. What sort of footwear should I have, and where can I locate it. I don't have a persona yet this is just my basic garb until I come up with something. Anyone have any advise?

Many newbies use Doc's. Or china flats. Or 'jesus' sandals. Depends on weather ... lol!  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games