Physics and Mathematics Guild Rules

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nonameladyofsins

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:15 pm
WELCOME
This is an online discussion forum dedicated to the subject of Physics and Mathematics. Within this subject the range of allowable topics is pretty broad. From Condensed Matter Discussions, to Optics, Geology, Topology, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Euclidian Geometry, Non-Euclidian Geometry, Astronomy, Relativity, Quantum Mechanics and even Theories of Everything (as you know the list is much longer).

However, there are a few ground rules that must be set.

1.All Gaia Rules apply. ie. no trolling, spamming, excessive use of swearwords, no flaming, etc.

2. Please keep discussions only to Physics and Mathematics (with the exception of the Hangout subforum), entries that include spam will be deleted or moved to the Hangout subforum.

3. Please do not over use chatspeak and never use l337. Keep your language clean, your english literate, and your spelling decent.

4. Please be respectful of each other, and do not use language that is inappropriate for serious discussions. If a post is found to be excessively insulting, immature, and completely irrelevant to the current discussion, it is liable to be deleted depending on the tone of the speaker and the severity of the insults. Putting other people down becasue they don't understand something and you THINK you do, will not be tolerated.

5. You might assume that you know everything, but, you don't, and guess what no one else does, so just deal with it. Some commentators will have a larger pool of knowledge in certain topics than others which doesn't make comments made by "non-experts" in the field, invalid. If you see that there is a logical problem with someone's comments or that someone has said something that is wrong according to the current scientific pool of knowledge please tell them so kindly. There is no need to be arrogant about it, I'm sure they did not know, and it does not make them 'stupid' if they didn't.

6. Please keep in mind that this is an open forum and people of all qualifications and with different ranges of knowledge of the subject may participate in the discussions. You ARE allowed to get as technical or as non-technical as you wish, if you are confused about what someone else said do not hesitate to ask, and if you are asked a question, it is in your best interest to answer it.

7. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWER TO A QUESTION SAY "I DON'T KNOW" that's what science and math, is all about, acknowledging the amount that we don't know. Also do not provide people with faulty information, if you are not sure it' s better to say "but I'm not sure" or "I might be wrong on this".

8. Do not post links incessantly, and do not say "if you wish to know more about this topic, go to this site" with no follow up or no explaination. If you know or read up on a certain topic one is being asked to explain, please explain, do not weasel your way out by telling the person to go read up before they can talk to you. However, upon debate, using links to support your arguments is probably a good idea (but you must sum up the ideas yourself).

9. Repetitions of topics are allowed if they obey BOTH of the following conditions:
a)that they are made by different members
b)that there is at least a week of time before the topic is repeated
If either of these conditions is violated either the most recent or the least responded to topic will be deleted.

10. You are also warned that spelling and grammer errors which have not been made on purpose might be corrected by mods if they are noted so them.

11. If your topic is found to be in the innapropriate forum it will be moved. This rule applies to all possible topic movements except where they are moved from main physics forum to one of three physics subofrums as the three physics subforums act more as archives and topics are moved there when little conversation is made in them.

12. Only the captain, vice captain, and mods are allowed to put the following in a thread's topic name: "PLEASE READ" or "VERY URGENT" or similar phrases when making announcements and when requiring the attention of guild members. Guild members themselves do not have the right to make 'urgent' threads or threads which beckon the attention of guild members. If you are a guild member who deems their topic worthy of urgency, please speak to one of the mods of this guild.  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:19 pm
Rule 3 and especially 8 suck. Number 8 sucks because some people do want to read more on the subject but are either too lazy to google, spend hours googling, or may google and get misinformed. Number 3 sucks because some people just want to type GTR rather than spend 5 hours typing general theory of relativity.  

Artikel Turiacus

nonameladyofsins

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:25 pm
Artikel Turiacus
Rule 3 and especially 8 suck. Number 8 sucks because some people do want to read more on the subject but are either too lazy to google, spend hours googling, or may google and get misinformed. Number 3 sucks because some people just want to type GTR rather than spend 5 hours typing general theory of relativity.

perhaps some clarification is in order. abbreviated forms like GTR are fine, I mean things like

lol dat's gr8, cu l8er I g2g

hence the term 'over use'. You are allowed to use abbreviated forms like GTR, HUP, PEP, that's relevant.

and as for numer 8, what it says is that you must summarize the ideas yourself. That is (as perstated in rule 8,) you should provide links to support your arguments, or provide further reading, but the link itself should not be the substance of your post. Thus do not simply tell the person to go read first, explain it yourself, and then provide link.  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:20 pm
poweroutage
Artikel Turiacus

perhaps some clarification is in order. abbreviated forms like GTR are fine, I mean things like

lol dat's gr8, cu l8er I g2g

hence the term 'over use'. You are allowed to use abbreviated forms like GTR, HUP, PEP, that's relevant.

and as for numer 8, what it says is that you must summarize the ideas yourself. That is (as perstated in rule 8,) you should provide links to support your arguments, or provide further reading, but the link itself should not be the substance of your post. Thus do not simply tell the person to go read first, explain it yourself, and then provide link.

Hm, perhaps you could clarify it as internet chatspeak and l337speak are banned, and then explain what the two are? That seems to be more the direction you're trying to go with that rule. wink

I do understand rule 8 though. I absolutely hate it when someone just says "GO HERE!" and hands you a link, with nothing more attached. evil  

Solo.Of.Darkness

nonameladyofsins

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:36 am
yeah ok. clarification: no chatspeak or l337. I have the perfect example of l337 here it is:

Quote:

4LL N00BL375 F34R M1 UNC0N7R0LL4BL3 WR417H, 1 GU355 175 4 5U8C0N5C10U5 7H1N6. 4L7H0U6H MY 7H30RY I5 7H15, N00B5 C0M3 2 G41A F0R 1 7H1N6 ND 1 7H1N6 0NL1, BU7753X.

W17H 7H47 B31N6 541D, WH46 D0 U 7H1NK M071V473S P30PL3 2 D0 7H1N65 7H47 4NN0Y O6H3R5, 1S 17 7H3 4C7 OF 4NN0Y4ANC3, 0R 15 7H3R3 4N07H3R R3450N 8EH1ND 7H15 M4DN355?????

D15CU55:

N008 M071V4710N
4NN0Y1N6 7H1N65

please do not post like that.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:37 am
hey, that was pretty good!  

Ghama55

Einsteinmc2300

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:24 pm
cool rools  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:10 pm
i can see why l337 is not allowed... that is hard to read!  

MiladyMayhem

VorpalNeko
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:57 pm
First annual guild holocaust: 64 victims, 1 survivor.
Through some backtracking, I've determined that a member id of around 6180000 corresponds to a join date of the the very end of 2007. Thus, everyone who joined in 2007 or earlier and still hasn't made a single post is now out. If you were kicked out and wish to participate, feel free to reapply.

Marker: 7400000 ~ ca. Jul 2008.
Marker: 8600000 ~ end of 2008.  
The Physics and Mathematics Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces