Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply Tables of Open Chat.
Chat Tavern.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 pm
This is a place to talk about character concepts, backstories, plot hooks, and possible homebrew ideas. Or just ask questions(the Q&A is a better place for direct questions, but technically you could here to)

All systems are available for entry, just inform which is being talked about.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:40 pm
Okay... So, I've having this idea for a multiclass character at least since 4E came out, but people with way more experience than me keep telling me it would never work. However, it's like one of those mad scientist's ideas, so it's not like it was ever going to leave my mind, especially if I never get to try it out in the practice, and well... It's a ninja/warlock.

Hear me out, please, and I promise to hear you back. If I rolled, let's say for 5E, a Way of the Shadow Monk, which main three feats were Wisdom, Constitution, and Dexterity, followed by Intelligence, Strength, and finally Charisma; Why couldn't he also make a pact with a patron and therefore get levels in Warlock, and be effective as that and as a Monk?

Like I said, I'm willing to be reasonable about it.
Hope you'll see what I mean.

Edit: so I haven't been able to figure out a good and easy to access online character sheet, but I found a character builder which helped me get this:

Sunshine
Monk 1 (0 XP)
Tiefling (m), Chaotic neutral
Guild Artisan
[ ABILITY SCORES ]
Str 11 (+0) Dex 13 (+1) Con 12 (+1) Int 14 (+2) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 13 (+1)
[ PROFICIENCIES ]
Proficiency Bonus +2
Saves Str +2, Dex +3
Skills Acrobatics +3, Athletics +2, Insight +4, Persuasion +3 (passive Perception 12)
Weapons simple weapons, shortsword
Armors
Tools carpenter's tools, cook's utensils
Languages Common, Goblin, Infernal
[ COMBAT ]
hp 9 ; HD 1d8
Init +1 ; Speed 30 ft
AC 13 (without armor, Wis +2, Dex +1)
Shortsword. Melee : +3 (1d6+1 piercing ; finesse, light)
Dart. Ranged : +3 (1d4+1 piercing ; finesse, thrown (range 20/60))
[ SPELLS ]
Extra Spells thaumaturgy
[ FEATURES & TRAITS ]
Unarmored Defense *
Martial Arts (1d4)
Darkvision (60 ft.)
Hellish Resistance (fire)
Infernal Legacy (thaumaturgy at will)
Guild Business
[ EQUIPMENT ]
Shortsword, dart (10), carpenter's tools, cook's utensils, backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, torch (10), rations/1 day (10), waterskin, rope/hempen 50 feet, clothes/traveler's, letter of introduction from a guild, belt pouch
Equipment weight 78.5 lb - Cost 46.5 gp
15 gp
Coins weight 0.15 lb
[ CHARACTER ]
Height Medium / 6.1 ft / 170 lb. ; Age 27 years (apparent age 25)
Eyes Black ; Skin Ash grey ; Hair Black
Background Guild Artisan.

So, What you say? Do I have a good base to start taking levels in Warlock once reaching level 4?

Unfairly_Banned_2021

Dangerous Genius

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:39 pm
5e speaking, a side from being M.A.D.(Multiple Attribute Dependent) and Warlock need at least a 13 in Charisma.

Warlocks spell attack rolls and DC are set by their Charisma modifiers. Where the Monk is a Dex and Wisdom flyer.

That said, I can see ways to make it work. Namely, focus your Warlock Spell choices on spells that don't attack, but buff yourself and party.

4e speaking, it is a little bit better 4e's powers are class dependent. Monks and both Assassins are Dex-based. And there's two Hexblades that are also Dex-based.

That said, I don't see ether one "never working". Planning a MAD multi-class just takes more resources than normal. (4e takes feats, but you get many. 5e you have to match the requirements and sub in the level) And that could make you not as strong as a pure. But, that doesn't equal playable or enjoyable.

P.S.
Oh, and many of the crew here would recommend Myth-weavers. If you need a Character Sheet Bank.

P.S.S
Quote:
Sorry, you have to be registered and logged to AideDD forum to have access to this functionnality.

And I can't read the language to register.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:00 pm
Unfairly_Banned_2021

Sunshine
Monk 1 (0 XP)
Guild Artisan
[ ABILITY SCORES ]
[ PROFICIENCIES ]
Proficiency Bonus +2
Saves Str +2, Dex +3
Skills Acrobatics +3, Athletics +2, Insight +4, Persuasion +3 (passive Perception 12)
Armors
[ COMBAT ]
hp 9 ; HD 1d8
Init +1 ; Speed 30 ft
Shortsword. Melee: +3 (1d6+1 piercing; finesse, light)
Dart. Ranged: +3 (1d4+1 piercing ; finesse, thrown (range 20/60))
[ SPELLS ]
Extra Spells thaumaturgy
[ FEATURES & TRAITS ]
Unarmored Defense *
Martial Arts (1d4)
Darkvision (60 ft.)
Guild Business
[ EQUIPMENT ]
Shortsword, dart (10), carpenter's tools, cook's utensils, backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, torch (10), rations/1 day (10), waterskin, rope/hempen 50 feet, clothes/traveler's, letter of introduction from a guild, belt pouch
Equipment weight 78.5 lb - Cost 46.5 GP
15 gp
Coins weight 0.15 lb
[ CHARACTER ]

So, What do you say? Do I have a good base to start taking levels in Warlock once reaching level 4?

Yes, depending on the Patron and Pact.

That said, why not at level 5? At level 4 Monk you would gain an ASI and Slow Fall. If you jump ship at 4 you lose one of your 5 ASI's, and I don't think you could replace it by 20(if that was you end goal).  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Unfairly_Banned_2021

Dangerous Genius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:45 pm
Southern Cross Nemesis
Unfairly_Banned_2021

Sunshine
Monk 1 (0 XP)
Guild Artisan
[ ABILITY SCORES ]
[ PROFICIENCIES ]
Proficiency Bonus +2
Saves Str +2, Dex +3
Armors
[ COMBAT ]
hp 9 ; HD 1d8
Init +1 ; Speed 30 ft
Shortsword. Melee: +3 (1d6+1 piercing; finesse, light)
Dart. Ranged: +3 (1d4+1 piercing ; finesse, thrown (range 20/60))
[ SPELLS ]
Extra Spells thaumaturgy
[ FEATURES & TRAITS ]
Unarmored Defense *
Martial Arts (1d4)
Darkvision (60 ft.)
Guild Business
[ EQUIPMENT ]
Equipment weight 78.5 lb - Cost 46.5 GP
15 gp
Coins weight 0.15 lb
[ CHARACTER ]

So, What do you say? Do I have a good base to start taking levels in Warlock once reaching level 4?

Yes, depending on the Patron and Pact.

That said, why not at level 5? At level 4 Monk you would gain an ASI and Slow Fall. If you jump ship at 4 you lose one of your 5 ASI's, and I don't think you could replace it by 20(if that was you end goal).

This is exactly what I needed, help and a positive attitude emotion_brofist
And yes, I do see how what you suggest would be the best for my character, so I will take it to heart.
I will remember to talk about this with any future DM that might let me give this plan a try, if I have to starts from level 1, in which case me taking a pact, I guess, would have to happen within the plot of the campaign.
I'm also working on how it might happened if as part of my character backstory, but I still need to study the options regarding patrons before I go any further.

If you had any suggestions on a patron of the chaotic neutral fun loving variety, I would greatly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:41 pm
Unfairly_Banned_2021

This is exactly what I needed, help and a positive attitude emotion_brofist
And yes, I do see how what you suggest would be the best for my character, so I will take it to heart.
I will remember to talk about this with any future DM that might let me give this plan a try, if I have to starts from level 1, in which case me taking a pact, I guess, would have to happen within the plot of the campaign.
I'm also working on how it might happened if as part of my character backstory, but I still need to study the options regarding patrons before I go any further.

If you had any suggestions on a patron of the chaotic neutral fun loving variety, I would greatly appreciate it.

All would work, the only combo I would harbor against is Hexblade and Pact of the Blade. They allow you to use your Charisma mod for attack, for ONE weapon. Martial Arts allow you to use your Dex for Monk weapons and Unarmed strikes... And gives a Bonus Action Unarmed Attack(or two for a Ki point)

I state this, cause Jerrmy Crawford and other rule-shamans are at an impasse on the topic if Unarmed Strike counts as a Melee weapon. If you DM says, "They count" and you want a damage build, ignore what I said, and pact with your fists. Then your choice would be between Charisma or Dex for Attack rolls.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:16 am
Here for your discussion a 5e homebrew feat, Muattles and I worked on it. Posting it for editing and consideration.

It is meant to be a way to get an enemy to focus on the Defender, or a Frenchmen posted on a wall, by spouting off insults and your momma jokes.

Quote:
Taunt
Requirements; Charisma 13 and Proficiency Intimidate

You attempt to taunt a creature into ignoring your allies to recklessly attack you. One creature that can hear you, within 30 feet must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is drawn to you, compelled by your taunt. For as long as the Taunt remains, it has disadvantage on attack rolls against creatures other than you but has advantage rolls against you, and can not end it's turn farther than 30 feet away from you.

The Taunted may roll a Wisdom Saves at the start of his turn. This roll is at Advantage if you didn't take any action that targeted the taunted creature last round or if you ended your turn more than 30 feet away from it. Success ends the effect, and this feature can't be used on them again until you take a Short or Long Rest

This feature can only be used against an enemy who can understand you. DC is set by an Intimidate roll, when you use this feature against creature. You may only have one Taunted creature at a time. Using this feature again, will end the effect on the previous Taunted. (They may still attack you, out of spite, though)

Tables of Open Chat.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games