Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Chatterbox
Ask a British Lady

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elysia Windbourne

Cleric

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:04 am
User Image

Hello and Welcome to my Thread

(As you've probably guessed...) I'm a Brit.; on Gaia I'm Elysia.

I've decided to make this thread to talk about British culture and lifestyle, as a (fair) few of my international friends have asked me more about what it's like living in the UK today.

As I'm not sure where to begin off the bat, or what you might even be the slightest bit curious about, I thought why not make the option to Ask a British Lady?

So go ahead. I don't bite - ask me whatever you want 4laugh

Some rules
        ✿ Do be polite. I'm sure you will be.
        ✿ Adhere to the ToS. This should be obvious.
        ✿ I'm happy for you to ask anything about British culture, lifestyle etc; whether it's about regional accents, if we're really obsessed about the weather (we are) or what exactly are "chish and fips", how the rugby went...
        ✿ You could ask me about me and my life in and of itself - what UK schools, university, houses etc are like...
        ✿ ...Provided the question adheres to the ToS and the forum rules - I am happy to discuss your questions and my responses.
        ✿ I don't pretend to be an expert, nor am I speaking for the entirety of the British Isles 4laugh But I can give you my perspective.
        ✿ & finally please quote me when you post, or I might miss you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:04 am
4laugh  

Elysia Windbourne

Cleric

Elysia Windbourne

Cleric

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:11 am
heart  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:42 pm
Elysia Windbourne

Sorry for the late questions, I just saw this today. I love British culture and it's so nice of you to do this!

Couple of questions:
- What beverages or foods would you recommend if someone were to visit there?
- Are there any places that are underrated, and you think more tourists should visit?
- Do you follow American culture very closely or not so much?

Eternal Rebellion

Inquisitor

8,950 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Petra Toren

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 pm
Elysia Windbourne
Ask a British Lady?

I'm intrigued by the supernatural. Is the Tower of London really haunted by ghosts? What other historical buildings are haunted?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 pm
Elysia Windbourne
Ask a British Lady?

Is it true that everyone lines up on one side of the escalator?  

xEraserhead

Benevolent Bloodsucker

20,025 Points
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Street 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Fearsome 100

Elysia Windbourne

Cleric

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:15 am
Eternal Rebellion

Hello! Sorry for the even slower reply. I've actually just had a baby, so things have been pretty hectic 4laugh

Thank you very much for your questions. I'll do my best!

What beverages or foods would you recommend if someone were to visit there
To be honest you can get food from most parts of the world in the UK, in the bigger cities at least.

If you're looking for traditional British food and drink it varies from region to region. But if you're eating lamb Welsh lamb is lovely. Scottish beef is good. Pork from Tamworth (a place in the West Midlands - by the by some Tamworth Red pigs escaped from their enclosure a few years ago and "went on the run" as it were. The local papers reported them as "the Tamworth two", making them sound like bank robbers).

Roasts are really popular and I'd recommend those. As for drinks, it has to be tea heart There are literally hundreds of different teas to choose from. Tea like Earl Grey is pale and you don't really need milk with it but it's nice with lemon.

Most people I would say drink tea every day (I certainly do). We offer it to guests, friends, relatives, literally everyone.

Are there any places that are underrated, and you think more tourists should visit?
Oh so many places! The Welsh coastal path is beautiful - it is literally the whole perimeter of Wales - at least the bit that is coastal.

The Gardens are worth a look; Chelsea, Kew etc. The Royal Chelsea Flower Show is really quite a spectacle in itself.

There are many castles, some in "better repair" than others. Pembroke Castle (coincidentally, in south west Wales in the Pembrokeshire region of the Coastal National Park) is where Henry Tudor was born (dad of Henry VIII) and is still mostly in tact.

The Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is worth a visit. They have everything from Egyptian mummies to modern art on display there. I remember a really good DaVinci exhibit they had there a few years ago, you could get right up to his drawings and an exhibition from the and you were allowed to take photographs. You can also get a snack in the Edwardian Tea Rooms.

There are lots of monuments and historical places to see dotted around the UK. The Giant's Causeway in Ireland is one, the Angel of the North in Newcastle is another. In Dublin, Blarney castle, you can kiss the Blarney stone - which involves leaning backwards through the battlements - and you will supposedly get gifted with eloquence as a result.

If I think of anything else I'll post again. I'm running on very little sleep at the moment 4laugh

Do you follow American culture very closely or not so much?
Personally, not so much and this is purely because I don't have that much spare / leisure time - I work full time and I also have two children. They have more of a social life than I do!

But some of my friends are really into American culture. I think a lot of Brits are.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:21 am
Petra Toren
I'm intrigued by the supernatural. Is the Tower of London really haunted by ghosts? What other historical buildings are haunted?

Supposedly it is, specifically the Wakefield Tower, but I personally don't believe in such, so I've honestly never looked into it.

Some of the Castles around the UK are meant to be haunted - I know that there is reportedly a ghost of Carew Castle (West Wales) that has been seen by many people.

I know that you can go on Ghost Hunts year round and tour supposedly haunted places in most towns - it's quite a big business.

I do have a friend who is a psychic and used to run ghost tours and ghost walks - so what I'll do is ask her and then get back to you smile

Elysia Windbourne

Cleric

Elysia Windbourne

Cleric

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:25 am
Hi There! Good question.
xEraserhead
Is it true that everyone lines up on one side of the escalator?

This is true 4laugh Especially in train stations; this is so people who are in a rush can walk/run up or down the escalator to get quickly to where they need to be, while people who aren't in a hurry can travel more sedately.

It's not like it's rigidly enforced or anything, but we almost automatically que for things so forming a line for the escalator is almost a knee jerk reaction rofl  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:40 am
(I'm still here...Go on ask anything *echo*)  

Elysia Windbourne

Cleric

Elysia Windbourne

Cleric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:21 am
Petra Toren

Supposedly it is, specifically the Wakefield Tower, but I personally don't believe in such, so I've honestly never looked into it.

Some of the Castles around the UK are meant to be haunted - I know that there is reportedly a ghost of Carew Castle (West Wales) that has been seen by many people.

I know that you can go on Ghost Hunts year round and tour supposedly haunted places in most towns - it's quite a big business.

I do have a friend who is a psychic and used to run ghost tours and ghost walks - so what I'll do is ask her and then get back to you smile
Still interested?
The friend I mention states that there are categorically haunted places all around the UK. She mentioned a house in the south called "the Cage". I just googles it and it honestly sounds really creepy.  
☆ Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games