Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Chatterbox
The NSTG Bookworm Corner

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Go grab a book...
  Have fun with us!
View Results

Qwertea

IRL Gaian

11,725 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Rat Conqueror 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:59 pm
Because I'm a huge bookworm and there aren't a whole lot of places on Gaia for those who prefer books over other means of entertainment. ninja
Sure there's the book forum outside of the guild but it isn't very active.
So now we have a small corner of the guild. 4laugh

This thread is for...
Discussing books that you're currently reading.
Discussing books that you have read in the past.
Discussing books that you want to read in the future.
Books that you absolutely hate.
Books that haven't been released yet.
Favorite authors.
Hated authors.
Ect...

heart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:09 pm
Right now I'm reading a book by Casey Watson, shes an author from the United Kingdom. The book is called Crying For Help.
312 pages and I got it for about eight bucks at Walmart.

She's one of my favorite authors, she is a foster parent and she writes about the kids that she fosters. This book is about a teenage girl with Addison's disease. This girl has a terrible past along with many issues stemming from that past. It's a sad read but it's pretty interesting. If anyone is interested you can probably grab a used copy for cheap off Amazon.  

Qwertea

IRL Gaian

11,725 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Rat Conqueror 500

Emalthya

Anxious Lunatic

36,525 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:25 am
I listen to audiobooks a lot right now because I don't have a lot of time between studying and organising and just life to read- I am sewing while I listen.

Currently listening to Hover Car Racer by Matthew Reilly. I have listened before but his writing is so fast paced that I don't remember all of it so well. The book is about a 14-15 year old Australian hover car racer going to race school. Sure, there's a lot of racing, but the interesting part is how the world adapted to hover power, including my home state being sold to private buyers (so when they talked about the 50th race saying stuff about the bridge and pylons and the stretch and people watching, I knew what that looked like (which would be hard for others as I think it's an odd kind of bridge turn off) and where the people were.

For an action-movie style book, it's great.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:55 am
I also listen rather than read for the most part (given down time at home, I either watch tv or get on Gaia - lol). Currently I'm listening to a series I found on tv called "Outlander" - there are tons of books, so I'm reading the fourth and will soon start the fifth in the series (the tv show is only on the third book starting in the fall). The writer is loads of fun! One of my favorite quotes is the main female character toward the beginning of the first book when she and her husband are on vacation in Scotland. After getting up before dawn one morning to see the local loch at sunrise, her husband persuades her to get up the same time the following morning to watch a pagan sunrise ritual. She thinks, "Getting up before dawn one morning on vacation is an adventure. Two mornings in a row smacks of masochism." YESS!  

JoyRose

Captain

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500

Madeleine Heilburg

Colorful Sweetheart

25,715 Points
  • Married 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:53 am
I am currently reading a Danish book about a woman who loses her 25-year-old son, after he jumped from the 4th floor and died, due to a bad high. It's about the authors thoughts, emotions and memories about her son dying, how she remembered him and dealt with her own emotions about the whole event. It's a prose book and it's so beautifully written and so sad.
The title, translated is "Has death taken something from you then give it back: Carl's book"
Plus, I find the book cover to be beautifully stunning.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:36 pm
Dogoda

Great idea to start this thread!! heart I've been absent for some months or last year so it's super to see this. emotion_kirakira

emotion_kirakira Wow, all of your novels sound so intriguing!

Madeleine Heilburg

Especially that Danish one, is it translated in English as well?

I haven't read leisurely in a long, long time (even though I work at a bookstore HAHAH the irony but school makes me halt the reading for now). But right now trying to finish a quirky 9-12 yr old book called "Sea Change" by Frank Viva (who has has done several 3-5yr old books which I'd recommend!). It's filled with great images illustrated by Viva, as well as funky text from time to time that makes the book unlike regular straight text. It's about a boy that goes to this remote area of Nova Scotia for the summer and he befriends these unlikely people. The old guy (uncle or grandpa, if I remember correctly?) is pretty funny, too. He takes care of Eliot who is the main character.

also i'm terrible at summaries if you haven't noticed already HAHAH sweatdrop

I'm usually in the Kids section at work so if anyone needs or wants to read 0-2 yrs old reads, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12, or Teen books, hit me up for recommendations! c:  

X_wishing_well_X

8,575 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:22 pm
I'm currently reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austin, which tells the story of Fanny Price who being a financial burden to her family is sent away to live with much wealthier relations as Mansfield Park. It is here that she is abused by her two aunts, one out of neglectful carelessness and the other out of more willful intent to ensure that the girl is made to constantly feel inferior in all respects. Only her cousin Edmund shows her any real kindness.  
☆ Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games