Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Roleplay Template Making (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

flutteringlights

Anxious Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:22 pm
Hi, my name is Lar Lar and I am a new Gaian on this site. I do not know much of Gaia so far, but I do know how to roleplay.

However, on Gaia the roleplaying has its own distinct flavor and with that flavor come BBC Coding and post/template layouts which I do not know how to do.

Is there anyone that could help teach me or give me resources as well as examples?

All help is appreciated, thank you! heart  
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:16 pm
LarLarLar
Hi, my name is Lar Lar and I am a new Gaian on this site. I do not know much of Gaia so far, but I do know how to roleplay.

However, on Gaia the roleplaying has its own distinct flavor and with that flavor come BBC Coding and post/template layouts which I do not know how to do.

Is there anyone that could help teach me or give me resources as well as examples?

All help is appreciated, thank you! heart

Hello there! I moved your question to the Questions and Assistance subforum so that other users may add their input as well.

There's a guide, Learn BBCode: Basics, that covers what certain codes do. In terms of post layouts and templates, with roleplay posts in particular, I find that experimenting with what you think looks best is a good way to go.

From experience, I've noticed that what you use as images for your character, either gifs or still images, may affect what your layout will look like; some people like to build around a central image and make use of the alignment codes mentioned in the guide. While I don't have a specific example, I've seen seen layouts that go from very simple - one header image and a name (I put a quick one together below with a gif sample; Chris Evans because of your signature xD) to elaborate ones with icons and symbols.

Simple Layout - Header + Title
User Image
CAPTAIN CUTIE

Capt. Cutie's writing would go here! In forums outside of the guild I see most users use the [list] code multiple times as a sort of indent or way to justify the paragraph, the same way you can on a word doc. It creates margins that look like this: sample post. In my post, I use a white blank placeholder, aligned left and right, instead as a personal choice (so when I revise I don't see blocks of lists) but it produces the same result.

I'm not very good at the coding/symbol formatting that you might see advanced coders use, but I do have an old sample where I tried to incorporate it into a post. It's mostly just finding creative ways to use the BBCode coloring, various keyboard symbols (you can find a few on fsymbols), and image alignment to create a composed way to present the image and writing. I hope this helped! My main pointers are to create a post in the Test Forum and experiment with the BBCode when you have free time, and to search around Barton Town - the roleplay subforum - to draw inspiration from other users and how they code. BBCode can be super fun once you become comfortable with using it, since there's endless ways to decorate your post.

Welcome to Gaia and the guild! We're so glad to have you. heart

Eternal Rebellion

Inquisitor

8,950 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers