Submit

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:30 pm
Yeah, it's Coronation in Calontir again.

And for my first event, I'm starting to freak out.

Decorum is something I've never learned, as I now live in unclaimed territory, and when I lived in Forgotten Sea, I was unable to get to Populace meetings. In fact, I went to ONE. Total.

So, here's why I'm talking to you guys.

What do I do? I'm still not comfortable with being Constantia, but she'll have to do. And I don't want to be a small shadow around my friend who is the deputy Chatelaine for Calontir.

Secondly, Gold Key. I'm a VERY tall woman, and I was wondering if Gold Key kept anything for women my height, or if I'm completely out of luck.

And, do you have any horror stories? razz  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:06 pm
Spring Coronation was my first event too, so I kinda know how you feel. As for decorum, just follow along with what your friend is doing. I basicly just followed my bestfriend around and asked her what to do. ^-^ Gold Key will depend on who is running it. I took it over for my shire and half the stuff had been alowed to mildew all winter. The previous Gold Key holder was not very responible...which is why they gave it to a 16 year old (me) who had only gone to one event. Depending on who holds it, they might have stuff that can fit you.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:59 pm
Gold Key will be there, and in fact, I've talked with the host Barony's Chatelaine, and hope she's picked something that works for me.

And my lord Giudo is making sure that I stay out of trouble.

And has enlisted me to serve.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:25 am
Something to keep in mind is that when the day is over and the event is done, chances are, the pointy-hats are, just like many others, going back to their office jobs and slogging through the week.
That's not to say that some of them won't take advantage of their pointy hats and treat "lesser folk" like crap, but for the most part, they're all very aware that this is in fact a game. You should, of course, still treat them with respect, but in general, if in doubt, a curtsey or bow combined with a respectful address (if it comes down to speaking with them) will do just wonderfully, especially if they find out it's your first event. Most of them will be more than willing to gently tell you the correct address for their status, but they won't make a big deal out of it.

My don enlisted me to serve in our first Princess' rapier guard, so I had to learn all this stuff pretty darn quick. haha. smile  

Arithrel
Crew

Wave-Darer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:48 pm
Arithrel
Something to keep in mind is that when the day is over and the event is done, chances are, the pointy-hats are, just like many others, going back to their office jobs and slogging through the week.

Most monarchs are aware of the servant-leadership aspect of their roles. More than once, I've assisted a King to do some rather menial task that one would not expect of Royalty. I think it's the unexpected-ness that makes them revel in it.

The hardest part of doing the "King thing" is to carry the role off with appropriate flash and dash without taking it too seriously.

Old SCAdian riddle: What d'you call the last people pushing brooms or stacking chairs after an event?

A: Your Majesties.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:51 am
And that was one thing I was VERY impressed by when I served at the feast and their majesties Semjaka and Xorazne were served by their Graces Martino and Ariel.

Garb's in the works.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:05 am
I don't really have much to add, just some words of encouragement: It'll be ok. If they're wearing a pointy/shiny hat, just drop a curtsey. It'll be more than many people give them when they're just walking by. Really, your friends should be able to keep you out of trouble, there's not THAT much trouble you can get into, after all.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:40 am
Dragostae
....What do I do? I'm still not comfortable with being Constantia, but she'll have to do. And I don't want to be a small shadow around my friend who is the deputy Chatelaine for Calontir.

Secondly, Gold Key. I'm a VERY tall woman, and I was wondering if Gold Key kept anything for women my height, or if I'm completely out of luck.
... razz

Ah, Coronation! Talk to your chatelaine friend about loaner garb, that's part of chatelaineing. No special decorum needed, just all rise when their Majesties enter the room, and don't assassinate anybody.

Coronations here in Caid can be very entertaining with lots of drama and street theater. They're usually indoor, sit-down events. Hint: take needlework or pastime in case of lengthy court.

Do you dance? Will there be a feast?  

choco meijin

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:49 am
choco meijin
Dragostae
....What do I do? I'm still not comfortable with being Constantia, but she'll have to do. And I don't want to be a small shadow around my friend who is the deputy Chatelaine for Calontir.

... razz

Ah, Coronation! Talk to your chatelaine friend about loaner garb, that's part of chatelaineing. No special decorum needed, just all rise when their Majesties enter the room, and don't assassinate anybody.

Coronations here in Caid can be very entertaining with lots of drama and street theater. They're usually indoor, sit-down events. Hint: take needlework or pastime in case of lengthy court.

Do you dance? Will there be a feast?

Yes, court was VERY lengthy. But still rather funny, as their Majesties are very silly people.

Yes, there was a feast (I served, and oh, it was SCUMPTIOUS!), and as for dancing, I'd have to be taught period steps, as I don't know any.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:50 am
Llelwyn
I don't really have much to add, just some words of encouragement: It'll be ok. If they're wearing a pointy/shiny hat, just drop a curtsey. It'll be more than many people give them when they're just walking by. Really, your friends should be able to keep you out of trouble, there's not THAT much trouble you can get into, after all.

You'd be surprised.

I seem to wreck havoc whereever I go.

It's almost become a game.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:07 pm
Dragostae
Llelwyn

You'd be surprised.

I seem to wreck havoc whereever I go.

It's almost become a game.
Lol, ok, so stick by your friends like a leech. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:47 pm
You'll be all right. Don't worry! Remember that they're normal people like you and me 98% of the time. heart  

Lia Strife

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:19 pm
Lia Strife
You'll be all right. Don't worry! Remember that they're normal people like you and me 98% of the time. heart

Oh, trust me, I was.

It was grand.

I'm so working on garb now.  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas