Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Sermons
The Flood (Entire World Judged)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:47 pm
The Flood (Entire World Judged)  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:43 pm
Disagree on one thing: I don't think it is wise to put words in Noah's mouth when scripture is silent on what was going through his mind ("why me?"). We have a murderer and adulterer i.e. King David (albeit a repented one), expressing himself in this manner:

• Psalm 18:20 (NIV)

The Lord has dealt with me according to my righteousness;
        according to the cleanness of my hands he has rewarded me.

Who's to say Noah didn't think the same of himself? that he too was righteous and that God had dealt with him, rewarded him, according to his righteousness? Especially when God, himself, calls Noah righteous. Is Noah going to disbelieve God? (No, he didn't doubt God; he trusted God; he's a man of faith). Everyone else calls him righteous too.

• Genesis 6:9 (NIV)

9 This is the account of Noah and his family.

Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God.

• Genesis 7:1 (NIV)

7 The Lord then said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation.

• Ezekiel 14:14 (NIV)

14 even if these three men—Noah, Daniel[a] and Job—were in it, they could save only themselves by their righteousness, declares the Sovereign Lord.

Footnotes:

a. Ezekiel 14:14 Or Danel, a man of renown in ancient literature; also in verse 20

• Hebrews 11:7 (NIV)

7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.

• 2 Peter 2:5 (NIV)

5 if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;

It's our trust in God that declares one righteous and leads us to do righteous things. I think a person knows when they trust in him or not (thus would identify themselves as righteous). There is more evidence to support that Noah would identify himself as "righteous", rather than not. Voddie Baucham tried to reason out of emotion there I think :l (@31:15 when he said, "everyone on that ark would've thought, "why me"?) . Maybe Noah's family, whose righteousness God didn't mention, but I doubt Noah himself was thinking "why me?". He knew why. God told him. You're righteous.

cristobela
Vice Captain

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:10 am
cristobela
Disagree on one thing: I don't think it is wise to put words in Noah's mouth when scripture is silent on what was going through his mind ("why me?"). We have a murderer and adulterer i.e. King David (albeit a repented one), expressing himself in this manner:

• Psalm 18:20 (NIV)

The Lord has dealt with me according to my righteousness;
        according to the cleanness of my hands he has rewarded me.

Who's to say Noah didn't think the same of himself? that he too was righteous and that God had dealt with him, rewarded him, according to his righteousness? Especially when God, himself, calls Noah righteous. Is Noah going to disbelieve God? (No, he didn't doubt God; he trusted God; he's a man of faith). Everyone else calls him righteous too.

• Genesis 6:9 (NIV)

9 This is the account of Noah and his family.

Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God.

• Genesis 7:1 (NIV)

7 The Lord then said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation.

• Ezekiel 14:14 (NIV)

14 even if these three men—Noah, Daniel[a] and Job—were in it, they could save only themselves by their righteousness, declares the Sovereign Lord.

Footnotes:

a. Ezekiel 14:14 Or Danel, a man of renown in ancient literature; also in verse 20

• Hebrews 11:7 (NIV)

7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.

• 2 Peter 2:5 (NIV)

5 if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;

It's our trust in God that declares one righteous and leads us to do righteous things. I think a person knows when they trust in him or not (thus would identify themselves as righteous). There is more evidence to support that Noah would identify himself as "righteous", rather than not. Voddie Baucham tried to reason out of emotion there I think :l (@31:15 when he said, "everyone on that ark would've thought, "why me"?) . Maybe Noah's family, whose righteousness God didn't mention, but I doubt Noah himself was thinking "why me?". He knew why. God told him. You're righteous.

You are of course right! ^_^ Thank you. What I liked about this sermon was that Voddie was stressing the seriousness of the flood. What a disastrous event it really was. The hardness of people's hearts. How they had heard why Noah was building the ark for decade after decade, evens seen the animals go in but did not have a change of heart - not even Noah's closest neighbor.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:48 am
Garland-Green
You are of course right! ^_^ Thank you. What I liked about this sermon was that Voddie was stressing the seriousness of the flood. What a disastrous event it really was. The hardness of people's hearts. How they had heard why Noah was building the ark for decade after decade, evens seen the animals go in but did not have a change of heart - not even Noah's closest neighbor.

I also liked that, plus how he stressed that other people could've been materially-better-off, even had more children, but they weren't getting on the ark. We should be excited to be right in God's eyes, and not so much what we can get from him. Happy that he is here and not "did he bring me anything?" LOL, that was great.  

cristobela
Vice Captain

Sermons

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces