Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Links
Can Satan, Demons, and Angels Still Show Mercy and Have Feel

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:11 am
Can Satan, Demons, and Angels Still Show Mercy and Have Feelings like Joy, Sadness, and Fear?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:38 pm
I couldn't agree more with their assessment of "Supernatural". It was one of my biggest idols. Not surprisingly, it had to be destroyed from my life. What made it all the more difficult to remove is the fact that it did depict some bits of truth throughout the series (albeit, in an overwhelming, massive sea of lies). So because of the tiny nuggets of truth, it was very easy to reason, "I'll just keep watching despite not agreeing with what they do or depict most of the time". All the more because the show is what first led me to seriously consider "Jesus = God" (via Chuck the "prophet" at the end of season 5, poofing out of sight at the snap of his fingers, unlike the other prophets in the show).

However, the more I relied on the bible, the more suffocating it became to watch. It was lie, after lie, after lie with a few half-truths mixed in. They depicted Cain as good. They depicted Gadre'el (from the Book of Enoch, which is the name of the angel who enticed Eve to sin) as good (however the Book of Enoch does not depict him as such). The biblical devil as good, which they depict as a separate entity than the one who enticed Eve to sin, amongst other things. I felt like I couldn't possibly correct everything, so I abandoned ship. What's the point of enduring all these lies and sinful behavior if I'm not saving anybody / leading others to the truth?

Not to mention the rampant sexual immorality in the fandom (the depictions of wincest, lusting after the actors, and lusting after the characters—it's inescapable and very easy to fall into/approve of). Aside from the outright idolatry of the show (relying on talismans, on witchcraft, and summoning demons to do your bidding / help you—and has you rooting for the protagonist's success in their pursuit of this), the fans make idols out of the characters (literally, making images/artwork/dolls) but also they start adopting their way of speaking and mannerisms, the sexual innuendo, the obscene speech, etc. If you're following in the ways of Dean Winchester and agreeing with him, then you're not following nor modelling yourself after Jesus Christ—they're so at odds—whether that worship/adoration/valuing of and "modelling after" is a concious choice or something you find yourself subconciously doing. You start treating these characters like idols, what you worship, who you value, who you imitate, the one who determines how you spend your time, how you spend your money, yours words, etc.

The writers aren't hiding their intentions; they openly admit they're distorting biblical teachings (though they are surprised at the little backlash they get).

Quote:
One thing that’s surprised Edlund in particular about the fans’ response
is that there has been a distinct lack of anger when it comes to the
series’ depiction of biblical figures and themes… with the exception,
he jokes, of his in-laws, who are not particularly amused.

“They’re very upset with the way we treat angels,” he laughs. “My brother in law will
come up and say, ‘Raphael’s not like that.’ I don’t know what he’s like,
I’m sorry! I didn’t go to school for that! So I actually was very
surprised by how little special interest we get. I mean, we have done some fairly subversive things with the Judeo-Christian tenets. But no one cares!”

http://zap2it.com/2011/07/supernatural-does-fan-reaction-impact-the-writing-sera-gamble-and-ben-edlund-weigh-in/

That is one show I couldn't continue watching in the hopes of reaching the fans. The bombardment of lies was too much. My conscience couldn't take it anymore. The viewing experience went from "enjoyment" to "torment" the more of the truth I accepted.

That said, I never really considered that angels or demons had emotions. That was an interesting detail to see directly from scripture. heart 3nodding

cristobela
Vice Captain

Links

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces