Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Help Guild

Back to Guilds

Guild for Anime,Manga, Live-Action Asian Drama, Asian Music K-pop Recommendations & Discussions, ChatSpace,TV Series/WesternCartoons + More. 

Tags: Anime, Manga, Live Action Asian Drama, Discussion, Recommendation 

Reply ☆CHAT ROOM
You know when you search anime...&

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nena_sakura

Captain

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:22 pm
Grrr... I hate it when i search for anime and i get some over 18+ images, what is wrong with people ... these people are disturbed....

well i search for images for the anime quizzes grrr.... so disturbing !

this might sound Dumb but
in google you are suppose to put a "-" minus symbol to exclude stuff

what has anime become ... i am not liking some anime because of Sexism
girls are way over sexualized with huge busts and shorter mini mini skirts....

I feel like some how the creators are somehow finding a loop hole and making it legal in rated 13 -16+ category

Example: Huge bust ,and when girls falling in a inappropriate position and can see their underwear...

Whan was the last time you have not seen this?

What are your thoughts ?

there has been a study , a women wearing just a pair of jeans and a t shirt , got sexual comments while just walking down New York streets....

Do you think women are safe .... and doing the same thing in anime just shows this is happening around the world ... what are your thoughts?

sorry if this is too much for you to handle?
i just wanted to get it of my head....

I will remove this if its too controversial....
thanks!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:15 am
Yeah, I kinda agree with this, but it is all for marketing. I think the main reason for the over-sexualisation of females in anime is because it can attract more views (leading to the purchase of merch, etc.), especially in the male audience.

They even have the genres which cater towards male audiences, ecchi and harems, which put even further emphasis on it.

I can't say it bothers me too much, but it does set some crazy expectations for both males and females.

That being said, its not like guys are entirely free of the sexualisation either, you can see this in popular shounen anime like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and Fairy Tail where guys have incredibly defined bodies - and hell, don't even get me started on their hair.

Anime's such as Free! which get a lot of female attention, but aren't necessarily looked down on for the same thing.

Its a fair discussion point, but anime is a large industry which does bring in a lot for Japan, so I guess that in the heat of all the marketing it does end up setting up some inaccurate stereotypes which are far from true.  

Koduni

Sagely Dreamer

10,850 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
  • Noble Shade 100

DoodleNaut

Supportive Backpacker

15,600 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:18 pm
As what Raithes said, it's all for marketing.
Over-sexualization of characters is not exclusive to anime, it can also be found in video games and other media.
It never really bothered me personally.

I'll try to provide my opinions and maybe answers to some of the points you have stated.

nena_sakura
I feel like some how the creators are somehow finding a loop hole and making it legal in rated 13 -16+ category

Example: Huge bust ,and when girls falling in a inappropriate position and can see their underwear...

I'm no expert in japanese culture or laws in any way but I believe it has something to do with this. Considering that Japan's legal age of consent is 13, it is technically legal to show such content to younger audiences.

What you described falls under the wide spectrum of fan service. Imho, fan service comes in when the story/plot is not enough to keep the audience hooked on the show. Don't get me wrong, fan service is not always bad, it can also come in different forms (e.i. cool action shots, mecha, explosions) and is not always related to something sexual. However, most fan service are of the sexual kind, when done in moderation it's ok but when all you see are boobs, panty shots, etc. then it becomes tasteless. Like a desperate call for attention.

nena_sakura
Whan was the last time you have not seen this?

I believe this matter has existed a long time ago, for a long as I can remember there has always been an anime with overly sexualized characters.However more and more anime are leaning to this tactic as the years go by.

nena_sakura
there has been a study , a women wearing just a pair of jeans and a t shirt , got sexual comments while just walking down New York streets....

Do you think women are safe .... and doing the same thing in anime just shows this is happening around the world ... what are your thoughts?

Honestly, I think that this has nothing to do with anime. It's more or less the same argument as saying that video games make people more violent, which may be true to a really small portion of gamers but the chances of that happening is slim.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:38 am
Women are safe. I do hate women that wear revealing clothing and then get mad at guys for checking them out or making I think they are called cat calls (whistling). Anime does that a lot, but mainly in shounen which are for teenage boys.

A statement as was mentioned in Japan the age of consent is 13, but that is mainly to protect them from being charged with rape when they become sexually active. I would also point out prefectures have there own laws on age of consent meaning that while it may be 13 most set it at 16 to 18 in their prefecture which laws tend to superseded the 13 years of age law.  

Tackle and Tickle
Crew

☆CHAT ROOM

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces