Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Training a DM

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Dejected Beauty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:13 pm
So I've been the Dm for my D&D group...god it must be like 7 years now? Its been a while and I've known these guys forever, however. I'm moving away and leaving the group.

Because of this, they don't want the group to fall apart and out of contact so I'm training a new DM from one of the members of the group, however its proving difficult. Hes unwilling to read the rules on his own, and is having trouble understanding the basics of D&D 5e.

Any tips to help a young DM on his way? For me I just kind of struggled through it. But hes got the storytelling down, he just has alot of trouble with rules.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 pm
Best way I know to teach the rules is through playing the game. So I would run a short campaign with him that goes over different scenarios, combat related and otherwise, that demonstrate the rules in play.

To be honest, you have to be self motivated about this kind of thing so if he doesn't want to take the time to read and understand the rules that might be a big issue.  

Kowsauni
Crew

The Dejected Beauty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:55 pm
Kowsauni
Best way I know to teach the rules is through playing the game. So I would run a short campaign with him that goes over different scenarios, combat related and otherwise, that demonstrate the rules in play.

To be honest, you have to be self motivated about this kind of thing so if he doesn't want to take the time to read and understand the rules that might be a big issue.

I think he wants to be a DM, he just doesn't know how to get his foot in the door...problem is I can't walk him through it. I only know 4th edition. So hes sort of has to go about it on his own. I'm currently searching for video guides of some sort.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:59 pm
lol I'd just stick with 4rth imo. It's what our group is doing at least until they come out with a lot more content for 5th.  

Kowsauni
Crew

The Dejected Beauty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:42 pm
Kowsauni
lol I'd just stick with 4rth imo. It's what our group is doing at least until they come out with a lot more content for 5th.

Everyone loses their s**t hating on 4th edition. I never understood the hate. 4th edition is so simple.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:23 pm
It is still my favorite system. I find it the most balanced and the most fun play right out of the box.  

Kowsauni
Crew

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces