Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Tutorials
Basic Cosplay Outfit Creation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:52 pm
This thread is going to go over the generals of how to start a cosplay.

Please Read the Cosplay 101 Thread first in the Main Forum (Currently under construction)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:54 pm
Here's a blog post I wrote about how to break down a cosplay into manageable pieces.

Here's the gist of it:

1.Break down the cosplay into components.

2.If needed, break down the components.

3.Make a list of things you can re-purpose versus things you need to make.

4.When stuck, look at what the thing kind of looks like. Research tutorials. Talk to cosplay friends. Often it’s better to talk to people who do not know the series, so they can look at things from a different light.

5.Above all… HAVE FUN!!!! We’re here because we love cosplay! That should include the creation process. If you start to get frustrated and stressed, take a quick break. It’s okay to take a while to make a cosplay.  

xinitia

Crew

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:44 pm
Here's a write-up I did a couple of years ago about how to make a cosplay on a budget.

This builds up on the process of breaking down cosplay that I posted earlier. After breaking down the cosplay, check to see how many of the "to make" components can be repurposed from pre-made thrift store finds.

You can get very creative in this part. The majority of my cosplays are made from thrift store bed sheets, curtains, and odds and ends.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:37 pm
Whenever i buy a wig i usually make sure i can use it for multiple cosplays
I know a lot of people don't think to so thought I'd put it out there heart  

kuro_fuzzipaws_miyako

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:22 pm
kuro_fuzzipaws_miyako
Whenever i buy a wig i usually make sure i can use it for multiple cosplays
I know a lot of people don't think to so thought I'd put it out there heart

That's great advice, one that I follow, too!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:13 am
Where do you all like to buy your cosplay wigs from?

I've lucked out on Amazon, but I know there are actual specific websites for them.

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:06 pm
Starz-N-Madness
Where do you all like to buy your cosplay wigs from?

I've lucked out on Amazon, but I know there are actual specific websites for them.

There's several retailers I go through. One of my favorites has to be Epic Wigs and Arda Wigs. Arda tends to be a bit more expensive, but an awesome spot for specialty wigs, such as lace fronts.

Anime Stuff has a nice selection of easily-spikable wigs (check out their "Sora" wig). I also frequent Five Wits (great for character wigs) and Purple Plum.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:56 pm
I just finished up writing a Wigs 101 tutorial. It goes over the very basics of how to get started styling a wig. I'll write up more advanced spiking and styling techniques when I get a chance. Those will be posted in the Wig Styling thread.  

xinitia

Crew

Tutorials

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces