Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Word Games
"Virus Scanner-2014-2016"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Herald of Eminence

Business Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:41 pm
I don't know about you guys, but recently I've had this person who claims they are employed by Gaia and said that I have a virus in my account and that it will be forced to be decommissioned upon a 48 hour notice unless I were to cooperate. Furthermore, they told me to take off all marketplace listings, not to contact any other Gaia users until the process has been completed, and to change my password to something like "Virusfree123".

They said they can't prove themselves as tech support (as they weren't enlisted as an NPC or an Administrator) and they weren't obligated to answer any questions. The whole thing sounded sketchy, so I reported the user.

I didn't know if they were legit or not, but I just wanted to let the public know in case they've encountered a similar case.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:27 pm
Definitely not legit, dude. You were right on the money.

I work as a tech support for this website called Career center , Tech support will never ask for your password because They don't need it to assess your account. A Gaia admin would NEVER need to ask for your password to do anything. In fact, if I was tech support, I wouldn't need your password to fix your account...Don't change it.

And the fact that your account has a virus? sketchy as hell. Good on ya for telling people.  

Dead Villain

Dangerous Raider

3,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Herald of Eminence

Business Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:28 am
I figured as much. Same thing goes for stuff outside of Gaia; when red flags go off in your head, DON'T DO IT! ;D

I just got a private message confirming it was a Phishing attempt  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:33 pm

I would never believe anything along those lines.
I'm very glad you managed to escape their grasp.
Thank you for informing others.

GrimDaeva

Cute Monster

22,675 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
☆ Word Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers