Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
Out of curiosity...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

captain gemi

Mythical Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:46 am
Have any of you guys went to a christian school be it private or public? It can be any denomination, how long you where there, what did you learn, and what kind of memories did you have?

For me, I went to a private Catholic school in Spain for about a year. I was sent there to learn "proper etiquette and manners." I did learn more about Catholicism, but over all it was how to be properly educated. That year was fun and I had many fond memories, but the one memory that is deeply scared into me is how to write in cursive. No joke. The nun or sister had switches that if you messed up, you would get slapped by it. It wasn't like a full blown hit, but just enough that it would make your hands turn red and numb after 10 slaps. I was bad at writing in cursive so I got switched often. I know its a old fashion method, but surprisingly its still around.

Just curious to see if anyone else had a similar experience or a water down version.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:53 pm
I went to a Christian school from pre-k to part of third grade.

I don't have a lot of fond memories though. The work was very accelerated, and I learn slower than most people. My teachers were not very understanding. My second grade teacher would make me stand at the front of the class with my nose in a chalk circle when I messed up on a question or turned something in late. I also got detention a lot for stupid things. I think she had it in for me.

Also the kids were pretty spoiled, a lot of "rich kids" if you didn't have name brand and expensive clothes they would not have anything to do with you.
Like all the girls had fancy frilly dresses and guys had shiny expensive dress shoes and some even wore tuxes.
I wore jeans and the provided uniform shirt, a lot of girls were rather rude to me because of it.

I did have two good teachers though.
My kendergarten/pre-k teacher and first grade teacher.
They were both so sweet ;u;
I miss sitting on the floor and listening to them read Bible stories and showing us neat pictures of Bible charters... I also miss that playground, that was the only playground that had teeter-totters and a huge jungle gym that I know of...

ramble....

I guess you could say that I wasn't a huge fan of my school. I have more bad memories than good.  

Nenanah

Fashionable Guildswoman

25,825 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Brilliant Light 450

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:52 am
I've been to a mix of private, public, and Christian schools... Moved around a lot as a kid, haha.

My first school was a Catholic school, but probably in name only.
After that I was moved to a public school, and then another public school afterwards.
Then I went to Loretto Academy in El Paso, and I just wanna say that I think that may have been some of the most miserable years of my life. It was really just full of elitist snobby rich kids, and I was always the poor kid from out of town who lived in a trailer and didn't have access to showers as easily. It was a Catholic school, and there were some nuns, but man, worst experience of my life from 3rd grade to 5th grade. :/

Then I went to a private school, but that school got shut down, so I moved to a Protestant school and in 11th grade that was when I finally understood Jesus and chose to become a Christian. I pretty much rejected both Catholic and Protestant doctrine at that point though, and just chose to follow what Jesus said in the Bible and nothing else...

Also, sheesh, who makes anyone write in cursive anymore? Cursive was invented for a very specific kind of ink pen and writing style that could not be lifted inbetween letters lest the ink drip and leak, and considering NO ONE uses that technology anymore or has any need to, we should really do away with teaching cursive outside of reading it. We literally have no use for it. But that's another issue entirely, I suppose.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:06 am
TOTALLY SEMI-RELATED SIDE-RANT, THOUGH:

Anyways the trend I've noticed is that, even in Christian schools, children are terrible a** creatures, if not worse. Why? They don't understand Jesus or anything of value yet, they are only capable of reciting what they hear and not thinking for themselves and deriving conclusions about how they should treat others based on God's commands.

All they can do is recite, recite, recite. But they do not understand, and they DEFINITELY do not have wisdom. I support Christian schools, but I think a lot of them do brainwashing to the little ones and kill their creativity and intelligence early on, so that they become like the Borg. I'm not fond of Christian Borgs that just recite, recite, recite, but don't DO, or CAN'T do because they were never taught. And that's what I was exposed to at Catholic schools when I was in elementary school.

Reciting scripture is worthless if you don't live by it. Even the devil can recite scripture. Children need to be taught to ACT and do God's word not just "because God says so", but because the world would be a much better place if we all treated people how Jesus treated people and loved our fellow humans... Teaching a child to love, be patient, be kind, and be generous and forgiving... THAT is more valuable than reciting a hundred thousand verses, writing perfect cursive, saying a hundred Our Father prayers, a lifetime of going to church, and receiving all the sacraments.

Christian schools need to stop being caught up in the doctrine of scripture and teach what really matters: Jesus, love for one another, and WHY we should do the things he wanted us to do.

I'm not sure if you can make a child love Jesus just because you command them to (or maybe you can, and I was just a dysfunctional non-Borg child). They have to figure out why they love him and want to follow him. Sometimes they have to find out how great God is on their own.  

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
Christian friends

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items